Page 9 of 190 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Was up at snowbowl this afternoon. There's 3-4" fresh under Lavelle, and was snowing pretty good when I left. I'm anxiously awaiting the 6:00 snotel posting to see if I'm going to let myself get excited for tomorrow. I think that might mean I have a problem...

I am pretty much bouncing in my chair right now.

Did it snow later in the day? I left around two and wasn't very optomistic for tomorrow.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by hialtitude View Post
    Did it snow later in the day? I left around two and wasn't very optomistic for tomorrow.
    Yeah, it wasn't very inspiring. Given the low temps, the snow will be very light, and it will take a lot of snow to bury the crust which dominates the mountain.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting very good, because I have to leave around 1pm for a staff meeting.

Tons o' fun up there today. About 8" fresh by the end of the day, and not too many people out. The snow was pretty light, which meant you got down to the crust layer pretty quickly, but on north facing shots where the crust wasn't as bad it was really nice. Plenty of face shots to be had, and a few turns here and there that were definitely above the knee.

No pictures cause I was skiing alone. Once this snow sets up a bit and (hopefully) gets a bit denser, it'll be money. Hopefully it doesn't get too baked before then.

Definitely an improvement today considering last weeks low point in snow conditions. I found boot-top fluff all over the place, but on most aspects a death ice/crust layer was right beneath. Last run of the day = West Bowl >>> there was a reason that was my last run. Ouch.

Did some touring on Monday up towards Lolo Pass and found some great skiing on N and East facing aspects, super stable too.

1500 ft of this, $$$$

-18F, no problem just cover the ole nose
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 01-28-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Was it snowing at the end of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Was it snowing at the end of the day?
    It was, but it seemed to be tapering off. My guess is that tomorrow's post will say 5 or 6", most of which came during the day today.

Sitting in a cabin at lost trail hot springs right now. It was dumping on the pass! Any of you cock goblins going to ride LT tomorrow?

Ill be wearing all grey, black helmet, old school big daddys and a green life link pack.

Looks like it will be good!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

It was warm up there around 8pm tonight, which might help the new snow bond to the crust, but a couple hours later, as the last of us left, it was beginning to get pretty cold. It wasn't snowing.

I was up there for seeding runs for alpine beer league, which ended before it really got going because the T-bar broke down. The Bowl at it's finest.

I think I might head out there next week if we keep getting stiffed on the storms over here. Lolo pass sounds worth the trip.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

16" at LT. Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    16" at LT. Dang.
    Yessir, damn nice day today. Got some wind, but very nice skiing.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

So chair 4? Have they "opened" Hollywood Bowl yet?

fez - we are anxiously wanting your response, as hollywood hasn't opened yet this year.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

4 was open and really nice. Wind picked up around 11 and was pretty brutal. Hollywood opened but had a rather nasty breakable ice crust. Just did one run in there, mostly lapped the glades past sacajawea instead. Super g turns through the old burnt trees were a hoot.
    Ben Franklin

nukin' up at the bowl right now. poor vis, no wind. we'll see what comes of it.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    nukin' up at the bowl right now. poor vis, no wind. we'll see what comes of it.
    Yeah, there was a solid two inches, in the lot, between 4 and 7 tonight. Heavy wet snow. It ought to leach into that crust from the sun the other day, maybe soften it a bit.

Stuart Mountain Snotel is reporting four inches in the last six hours (however the "quality control" has been reading suspect for the past week), which is at 7400 feet three miles southeast of Snowbowl.

Could be fun tomorrow.....

5", epic dumpage as of late. rockin. see you asshats up there.

Well hey, that was pretty fun. The skiing was decidedly mediocre in the bowls but fun up top. We had first scrapings down West Ridge which reminded me of that time I tried to self medicate hemorrhoids with a potato peeler. Later, I briefly met toast666, laughed at Rasputin who seemed to be having a mini crisis due to a pencil-eraser sized core shit, and then got drunk with hialtitude (I am working hard maintaining, /burp).

I heard mtskier was doing something smart like skiing in the backcountry and I am guessing freak of snow was doing something boring like working to keep the citizenry of missoula safe (LAME).

But anyways, I think mrs rootskier has to work tomorrow, and if that is the case, does anyone want to do a little tour off the top of the bowl tomorrow?

ok, i was wrong about hollywood...

so uh, yeah, after poking around in hollywood bowl, i found some better stuff on friday. that and the 'permanently poached area' just next to hollywood were skiing damn well. still had that funky breakable sun crust underneath, but some of the north facing was sweet. run of the day was B4 off bearpaw ridge though. sweet little drop to a straightline through the trees to one giant right hander through a pow shot below.

fresh tracks on friday? i <3 lost trail.

fez catching minor air coming out of the poaching zone... i'm like bill wennington, so high off the ground you could slide a dime under me.

Last edited by fez; 02-08-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: adding pics
    Ben Franklin

What's up western MT freaks?!??! More snow more snow more snow!

Finally decided to join the board since this thread is an awesome reminder of how folks roll at the Bowl. Nice shots and stories everyone.

Bump for Gelande' Weekend at Snowbowl

Question: is Rasputin in the running for the $8,000 grand prize ?

Quote Originally Posted by B-Squads in Deep Pow View Post
    Bump for Gelande' Weekend at Snowbowl

Question: is Rasputin in the running for the $8,000 grand prize ?
    Being as I am old and decrepit, I won't be launching Gelande, but I am quite disappointed that there aren't any of you cliff hucking motherfuckers willing to step up.

Gelande Weekend is tough to beat at the bowl!

Good luck 2Steeptotele! Bring back a bottle of Garland's bloody brew for me.