Page 80 of 191 FirstFirst ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 4757
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I see you think declaring something automatically verifies its truth.

There's a great future for you in used car sales. Don't tarry.
    Nice dodge, but you didn't answer the question. Let's start with the obvious. Were you bullied as a child? Or severely berated by your parents?

Lindy on Saturday.

Sexy!...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

That looks cool, cloud cult.

Now somebody cue croaky, calling you a dumbass for posting a ski photo in a ski forum (or snowboard, as the case may be).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10351581_10204134652187694_6825203922129426468_n.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	156694

Colt Killed Cirque. You can skin from the truck crossing just a few open patches.

On a different note, the Forest Service is seeking comment on a landmark plan that would more closely dictate where snowmobiles can be used. Montana Backcountry Alliance and Winter Wildlands Institute have directions laid out for how and where you can comment:

http://montanabackcountry.org/

Solid work. Looks manky?

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Solid work. Looks manky?
    Not manky. Typical summer snow -- mostly firm, a little grabby, smallish suncups. Walton Lakes Cirque was better; Colt Killed had lots of old avi debris.

Girlfriend has a job lead in Butte. Only driven through it, likely the same as everyone else. What's the general area (~2 hours or less driving) like for touring? How bad is the town?

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10351581_10204134652187694_6825203922129426468_n.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	156694

Colt Killed Cirque. You can skin from the truck crossing just a few open patches.

http://montanabackcountry.org/
    Nice! Brings back good memories of when I worked for the FS up in Powell. I did a good bit of summer skiing including a multi-day trip into Tom Beal (I think) Basin. Great snowpack that year, great terrain and no other skiers.
    Originally Posted by nickwm21
    "hitting rocks ain't normal use in their eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Girlfriend has a job lead in Butte. Only driven through it, likely the same as everyone else. What's the general area (~2 hours or less driving) like for touring? How bad is the town?
    I'd call it gritty. On the upside, housing is cheap. I was downtown a few weeks ago -- they're working on it, but it has a long way to go.

Two hours gets you, roughly, to the Beaverhead, Anaconda Pintler, Flint Creek, Beaverheads, Bridgers, the Highlands, the mountains around Maverick that I can never remember the name of, the Scapegoat, just to Missoula, the very southern end of the Bitterroot near Lost Trail, and the rough rocky country north of Butte and around Helena. Actually, if you are counting two hours, it's a spectacular location, but a lot of the access is rough in the winter; the stuff I've done that I'd call a reasonable half day tour is pretty tepid. The best skiing probably is in the spring and summer.

There is some seriously nice mountain biking south of town off Pipestone Pass, and a lot of hiking.

I'd call it gritty. On the upside, housing is cheap. I was downtown a few weeks ago -- they're working on it, but it has a long way to go.

Two hours gets you, roughly, to the Beaverhead, Anaconda Pintler, Flint Creek, Beaverheads, Bridgers, the Highlands, the mountains around Maverick that I can never remember the name of, the Scapegoat, just to Missoula, the very southern end of the Bitterroot near Lost Trail, and the rough rocky country north of Butte and around Helena. Actually, if you are counting two hours, it's a spectacular location, but a lot of the access is rough in the winter; the stuff I've done that I'd call a reasonable half day tour is pretty tepid. The best skiing probably is in the spring and summer.

There is some seriously nice mountain biking south of town off Pipestone Pass, and a lot of hiking.
    Indeed. You most likely want a sled for access closer to Butte.

I might be a bit biased, but if I were you, I'd spend my time in and around Discovery and Bridger Bowl. Both are cheap and both are within a two hour's drive.

I was gonna chime in with some good things to say about Butte and typed out this long thing on my phone, but the web app gave me this weird error message. Guess it doesn't like Butte!
    No longer stuck.

Bah. Pretty much what I figured, thanks much for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Nice dodge, but you didn't answer the question. Let's start with the obvious. Were you bullied as a child? Or severely berated by your parents?
    nope, nope, and nice try at e-psychiatry. on the other hand, stuckie is fat and skill-less and pretends at knowledge & experience he doesn't possess, so maybe you should be examining him and e-psychoanalyzing him. what makes a fat unathletic loser pretend to be a multi-sport honch on TGR?

yes, every town in Montana should be just like Boulder/Bend/PortlandOR/Aspen/Vail. if they're not like that, they have a "long way to go".

why do people visit or move to Montana and then complain about how it's nothing like the shopping of New York City, the historic culture of Boston, the grandiose architecture of WashDC, or the modern sophistication of Phoenix or Seattle?

wait. don't tell me.

you moved here to get in on the ground floor of Aspenization, and you consider yourself a gentrifier. you're helping bring Montana into the 21st century, no matter whether longtime residents, including those here for numerous generations, would prefer otherwise. they're just stupid knuckldraggers who need to move somewhere stupid knuckledraggers congregate, like Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Bah. Pretty much what I figured, thanks much for the insight.
    Hey, there are a lot worse places to be ... like Billings or not-so-Great Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    nope, nope, and nice try at e-psychiatry.
    Digging into the archives today, are we croaky? It's nice to see that you care.

Andyski, I wouldn't write off Butte necessarily...it's a prime location with some of the best Montana has to offer. At least you won't have to deal with shitbags like croaky fossil who have infiltrated Missoula in the past 10 or 15 years and adopted a cooler-than-thou pseudo-localism that will annoy you to no end. If there's one thing Butte is NOT, it's pretentious.

Don't forget it's one of the last places in America where you can still carry a beer in the middle of the street at any time of the day!

Snow, but then rain :/
    Bump for another season
    No longer stuck.

Anyone in the Bitterroot/Missoula area looking for a backcountry ski/split/sledding partner for the season? I know avy safety and I'm an EMT if you're worried about experience. This'll be my fourth season in the BC but I just moved from Bozeman so I don't have a partner in the area yet.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    If there's one thing Butte is NOT, it's pretentious.
    Understatement of the year.
    Gravity Junkie

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Woot, woot! Snow incoming, and given that I don't have my snow tires on yet, it should be a doozy.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Ooh, that was a good storm. A foot up on Stuart Mountain, and 3.7 SWE, perfect base builder.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Drive safe, folks, it's icy out there.
    Anyone else do a silly photo for their pass at the SOS fair? teehee.
    No longer stuck.

I saw something on FB about 20 inches at Stuart Peak snotel. Nice.

I saw 18". I'll take it.
    No longer stuck.