Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sold them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This thread is sure to go platinum.

New NS boardl. No idea how, I was charging down some inbounds runs at the basin and kept washing out for no reason. Then ducked out and rode a sidecountry chute. When I got to the bottom, I took off the board to hike out and the tail was just dangling there, barely hanging on by a thread of P-tex.

The board was a prototype and NS replaced it for free.

drydocked.

hard.

was not pretty.

brand new AX4s a few seasons ago. I didn't like the paint job so I ran the topsheet on the belt grinder a few times then gave them a rad paint job. Turned out totally dope, but everyone thought I was the world's biggest retard when I was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    No, not to the best of my knowledge.
    Well FKNA, let's get on it. That shit's funny!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

let em get stolen

I had my coombas leaning against the wall, and some dick knocked them over to the concrete. Then laughed. 2nd day I ever had them. Fortunately no damage was done but I was fuming.

Last year I decided to pull a rock stomp to fakie at stowe and ripped a nice 2 inch core shot on my new goats.

2002 I destroyed a side wall on a rossi xx (skiied maybe 5 times) at loveland pass skiing oct 6 (there was more rock than snow). Same year two or three weeks later I was on my new scratch bc's and blew off the toe piece on the third run (at loveland ski area, never skiied there again). The shop said I ran over the skis with my car, but I just dropped a 5 ft rock, poor mount or shitty ski quality. I warrentied the ski and rode the new ones the rest of the season with no issues.

I also smashed the sidewall right behind my heel piece on my new 184 lp's this year. Could care less, I was not impressed with the ski and turned it into my touring rig. This ski will get lots of abuse touring in the NE.

I get a little to excited when I see the white stuff and completely forget about coverage. As stated earlier, skis are bought to be used and abused. The core shot sucks on the new JJ's but now you have the green light to kill the ski the rest of the season.

Edit: Skiing Alta 12/11, six inch core shot on new gotamas (fourth day on the ski), second run of my week long vacation.
    Last edited by emr; 12-11-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    As stated earlier, skis are bought to be used and abused.
    This is what has won me over to ski quivers. I was hoping for the one ski that would do it all decently, because I'm not inclined to go swapping skis and might run into anything in a given day. So last year I picked up these dynastar mythic riders thinking, "Yup, I can do anything I wanna do on these." I even set them up with a touring rig of sorts. And then I smoked the edges skiing fabulous pow in the backcountry and what was a very respectable ski for the odd bit o' hardpack now pretty much sucks because the edges underfoot are cooked. I would have been better off with an actual powder ski and a touring ski and a groomer ski.

so ya, now I get it.

sorry for derailing this amusing thread. I just got home from hockey, which means I just got home from drinking beer in the dressing room. maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and delete this...

last week, samtheman, allenataylor and I were mounting up my new districts with 914's. We mounted the toe piece 4mm off center, and both toes too far from the heels, so there is zero forward pressure

3 years ago, opening pow day at stowe I exploded my mantras, first run was 12"pow 0" base
    the store bought the idea that they delamed and I had a new pair next day
    Live

I mounted a new pair of explosives fakie once. Or at least one of the skis. I mounted the in my kitchen and didn´t realise that I flipped them over to get more room for drilling. Luckily I noticed after the first ski. It was a Explosiv 3 btw, so no twintip that at least somehow could have justified the mistake.

3 yrs ago was on top of a beaut of a line in valdez for the first run with my supermojo 103's. it was the first day up after a few days of code-grey and waist deep. I was in the middle of my 3rd arcing GS turn with my new babies and absolutely loving my life when from the depths of the new stellars my bases collided with the boulder from hell and I double ejected and pulled a complete front flip and landed facing forward with my legs augered in. after wondering what the hell just happened I wallowed back up and extracted the skis. one had a solid 14 in. coreshot and the other one was comparably unscathed with only about a 6 incher. I still get stoked when I think of that morning. fuckin' awesome!

Mounted a brand-spanking new pair of Volant Power T3s for our shop demo fleet. Took 'em out for a shake down run and took them straight back to the shop. Four inch tip delam on one of the skis. Same story a week later with a pair of McG's. I guess Volants don't like backseat landings. But they sure liked RA #'s.

I delammed about a dozen pairs of '99-'00-'01' era Volants. Strange how a ski can delam sitting in the plastic.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Turned a Head Monster m103 into twin tip after only two days jumping off inadvisable stuff in La Grave.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

1st day on my new lib tech nas skis. Saw a little air to rock shelf then back down.
    Turns out it was all ice up there, slid across and completely blew up the tip on one of them hitting rocks but managed to land it.
    So, welcome to the quiver. Here's your epoxy and clamps.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Last season I lovingly prepped my new 192's with multiple waxings.
    saved them till mid dec storms. 1st day out gaping coreshot. Fixed next day hauling ass came up on a small 4' stump drop. Heard the Mrs. voice in the back of my head and just sent the final deposit for a BC and AK yurt trip that morning. Bailed on the air and banked a hard turn around it rock=Blown edge. Fuck it fixed em again and they still rip
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

They weren't new to me. But this happened today after three days of touring five days total:

Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

^^^^^^^^volklpowdermaniac with a K2 poster???

Although that is a nice wood core.

K2's are built like shit? no.....
    oh, and I bent my Nordica Enforcers at the end of last season. But I guess everyone here bends metal skis. I don't know why I warrantied them, it was a waste of money to get a used left ski, and another set of holes drilled.
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 12-10-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Worst thing I did to new skis;
    Mounted 'em with Markers

You wanna ruin a ski? Ski at Big Sky.
    ha, yeah. Lone Peak is the setting for my second worst move: two huge coreshots to the gots (w/ matching tomahawks), taken at the exact same place, a week apart. "Hmm that line looks good, I'm sure its filled in by now"

Worst: After a full day spent shralping some rather questionable sidecountry @ big mountian, and having recieved not a scratch, decided to throw a sweet ollie-off-berm-onto-rock manuever while riding down the cat track in the dark.
    Compressed edge on the virgin Jak BCs
    Last edited by teleposeur; 12-10-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    Brand new 192 Thugs, opening day Blackcomb, November 2007, 4 coreshots.

I later compressed an edge and then cracked another. Those guys took a beating. No pictures as we have since parted ways.
    Maybe I could snap a few pictures of these since I own them. A beating is right They have lots of epoxy near the edges now.

I've never really beat up a pair of skis, although I put a decent gouge in my Districts on opening day at Alpy last year. Not quite a core shot, but the worst I've done.

I agree that skis are designed to be used and abused. In my first 4 days of skiing I've given a core shot to three different pairs of skis, two of them brand new and one almost brand new.

The thing is, I was having SOOOO much more fun on those ne skis than my rock skis, and it's cheap to fix a small core shot... so I say "fuck it" and ski what I want to ski. I'll probably by new gear every year or two anyway so why worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Worst thing I've ever done to a pair of skis? Rode a brand new snowboard early season at big sky. Not even on multi-perameter terrasupport.
    You wanna ruin a ski? Ski at Big Sky.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I loved skiing there but hated it 'cause I could never own brand new skis. I would always destroy at least 2 pair a year there. I did happen to snap a new pair of Atomic BD first day out. Caught a hidden branch coming off a cliff at JHMR forcing me backseat on some firm snow. Snapped the tail right behind my right binder.
    Quote Originally Posted by teleposeur View Post
    ha, yeah. Lone Peak is the setting for my second worst move: two huge coreshots to the gots (w/ matching tomahawks), taken at the exact same place, a week apart. "Hmm that line looks good, I'm sure its filled in by now"
    as soon as i saw this thread, i composed my response in my head 'took em to big sky'

they're all rock skis at big sky!

and it's all mixed media skiing at big sky.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I mounted a pair of skis for my friend last week. Had to make my own template, but I'd done it before, and didn't have any worries. Template turned out great, measured everything 3 or 4 times. Mounted everything up and it looked absolutely money. Went to click in the boots, and they didn't retain at all. . Adjusted them forward all the way and had about 1/2 the forward pressure that I needed. Damn. I still can't figure out where my measurement went wrong, all my measurements look like they should be perfect for her BSL. Probably going to have to re-mount the heel piece a cm forward now. I feel like a total dick.

If I learned one thing though, it's that I'm going to do a dry run mount on a 2x4 just to make sure I have the BSL right, and if not, adjust accordingly before I even look at the skis.
    Forced days in bed this winter: 48
    Forced days on crutches/walker: 37
    I'M WALKING AGAIN!!!
    Days on snow: Are you kidding?