Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHY PBR?

the only beer that is acceptable warm in my book

Ski Shop shout out.

We consumed oceans of it over the last two weeks. What was the last two weeks? Clinics.

Forgive the pun, but a case study in taste preference among 20-35 y/o males employed in a ski shop:

I brought a cooler of beer one night. About 18 mixed Sam Adams from the holiday case. In the cooler there was also a half rack of PBR. Guys were reaching for the PBR first. (Say what you want about Sam Adam's, but the truth is that it is better beer than PBR) but the PBRs went faster. Go figure.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

In addition to being cheap, my Dad used to drink PBR back in the day, it was the first beer I stole from the fridge, so it reminds me of good times when I was in high school.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    About 18 mixed Sam Adams from the holiday case.
    Let me guess... NO ONE touched the Cranberry Lambic?

My brother and I used to buy those holiday cases all the time. No one in the house liked the Cranberry Lambic so it would just sit there and accumulate. At one point the whole fridge door was filled with em. We couldn't give that crap away. I'll drink any Sams (love me the cherry wheat) but I equate the CL to what I imagine horse piss to taste like.

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    I used to like it. Then while I was a few pitchers in somebody stated "I only drink PBR when I want my beer to taste like pennies were floating in it".

Sure enough, suddenly all I could taste was a copper.

Now, I can't drink it.
    Your not trying hard enough.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post

My brother and I used to buy those holiday cases all the time. No one in the house liked the Cranberry Lambic so it would just sit there and accumulate. At one point the whole fridge door was filled with em. We couldn't give that crap away. I'll drink any Sams (love me the cherry wheat) but I equate the CL to what I imagine horse piss to taste like.
    +1 on the CL because I never pass up an opportunity to talk shit about that reconstituted seagull piss.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by jce338 View Post
    the only beer that is acceptable warm in my book
    I HATE WARM BEER - IT MAKES ME FUCKIN' PUKE!

9 out of 10 passed out babies agree

Paging Inglewood Child Protective Services..

True Lambic's are certainly an acquired taste... Not sweet, and very 'barnyardy' tasting. Which is why you probably equated it to horse piss.. But like lots of other things, once you acquire that taste its fabulous.

As far as PBR goes, it's a good, cheap swilling beer.
    Certainly fills the bill when the home brew kegs are empty.
    -James

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    It's pretty good cold, but I prefer Miller High Life in the $.50/beer category.
    i'm with you on this one. i like PBR, but if the choice arises, i'll take a high life.
    water is the driving force of all nature

That is one god awful beer.

yeah terrible stuff for sure.
    why do they keep making it year after year after year?

advres Guest
    ^^^I really don't get it. I have never met one person who likes the SA Cranberry Lambic. Even those who like true Lambics think the stuff is shit.

Here I am knocking Sam Adams in a PBR thread. The end of the world is nigh...

Was at a downstairs crowded rowdy bar in DC/silver spring friday [quarry house tavern] and not only did they have PBR on tap, but had a crinkled up tallboy can jammed on to the tap handle!

But i have to admit have a couple Smithwick's [sp?] the next night was damnnnnn tasty.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

When my band plays, the domestic tap beer is free. PBR is the only one available to me that won a blue ribbon. Made the choice easy for me. Besides, I think it tastes pretty good, and solitude has 24 oz cans for $6. Not bad for mountain prices.

It seems like PBR has become increasingly trendy over the last few years, particularly in Portland, but judging from this thread it seems like the trend is more widespread. Personally, I usually go for either cheap (PBR) or good (some kind of microbrew, type/brewery dependent on whatever). As far as cheap beers go, I prefer PBR because it has enough flavor without being too watery. This might seem ludicrous, but if you've never had PBR in a bottle-try it, you might be pleasantly surprised (I generally buy it in a can, but bottles are a nice treat when you can find them). Other than taste and cost, I think a reason PBR is trendy is because they don't advertise (at least that I've ever seen)-think about it, when was the last time you saw a PBR commercial on TV?

So here's my West-coast ignorance coming out, but do y'all in the Eastern half of the states have anything to drink other than Sam Adams and cheap domestics?

Quote Originally Posted by Horu View Post

So here's my West-coast ignorance coming out, but do y'all in the Eastern half of the states have anything to drink other than Sam Adams and cheap domestics?
    Great Lake is a pretty good micro...there are many others.

I usually just drink Yuengling when I am back east.

I have yet to find a lager that I can buy in Colorado that is as easy to drink as Yuengling, but has actual flavor and isn't yellow.

Fat Tire is good, but not nearly as smooth after 6 or 7.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Whoever drinks Cranberry Lambic could probably post an ad on Craigslist and drink for free for an entire winter because everyone has some in the fridge they can't give away.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Great Lake is a pretty good micro...there are many others.

I usually just drink Yuengling when I am back east.

I have yet to find a lager that I can buy in Colorado that is as easy to drink as Yuengling, but has actual flavor and isn't yellow.

Fat Tire is good, but not nearly as smooth after 6 or 7.
    Yuengling is the only lager that I've actually, truly enjoyed. Just wish I could find it in Colorado. PBR is my choice when I want cheap beer, although sometimes I'll buy MGD and mix it in with Clamato or V8 and tobasco.

Fat Tire... blah, so overrated. I enjoyed it when I first started getting into microbrews, but now I can't really drink the stuff. I like my beers either really hopped, or quite malted. Fat Tire is neither...

Why PBR? Because, for a cheap lager, it actually tastes decent and does the job after a few. I'm a dirtbag climber/student, and if I don't have to spend a small fortune on decent beer, then I'm all for it.

Plus..... It says right on the bottle," This is the ORIGINAL Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Nature's choicest products provide its prized flavor. Only the finest of hops and grains are used. Selected as Americas Best in 1893.

116 years and counting........Americas Best....Come on, who else is doing it like that!

Because Clint drinks it while telling kids to stay off his lawn

and it was selected as America's Best in 1893

Side question...hijack....

I've been drinking the occasional PBR for the last 20 years. And it has always been "PBR". Today I'm sitting in the VC and some dude walks up and asks for two "Pabsts". I did a double take to see how old he was... He seemed old to me (50+). Maybe its that old slogan, PBR me ASAP...dunno?

So here's the question, what is it when you order, "PBR" or "Pabst"?

I have met many very - extremely successful brew masters that choose to mix pbr half and half with some of their most profitable brews to extend their ability to consume mass quantities of beer over time. Like drinking every night to excess and partying hard. Less calories also. I tried what they said, I don't know that I agree but if you are up to your ears in some of the best beer on the planet I guess you can do that.
    Pbr's also pretty innocuous and blends very well, that's why you can drink the hell out of it.

Because Dennis Hopper says so. The end.
    washu feeze drive me to firenze?