Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Telluride Mags...

Looks like I will be booking a trip to Telluride in late February-early March.
    Would love to hear the collective's thoughts on the place. I have never been there and know nothing about it.
    I was offered a place to stay walking distance to the hill....so I'm most likely going to take advantage of it.
    Thanks!

I don't live in tride, but I can tell you that its sick. If its dumping, then its really going off. Enjoy your trip.

-T
    "If you make a splash, You SUCK!"
    http://www.tjdavidski.com

One of the most beautiful mountain towns in the US with absolutely kickass skiing.

In bounds: lap Gold Hills.

Out of bounds is mindblowing.

Ouray is worth the side trip for hotsprings and is a half hour from Silverton.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

not where the most snow was last night...
    hmmmm, to-hell-you-ride! its killer, one of my fav places to ski in CO. And its close (enough that is) to Silverton.
    The hike to it stuff is great, p..mrya-peak (sp??) is well worth the 30-60min hike on a snow day. There is some killer BC as well (some super HUGE lines to be had). Lots of great black/db runs, good steeps and trees. you're going to love it. Ouray is also a really cool town, but the hot springs in Ridgeway are waaaay better if you can deal with the "clothing optional" thing, that can be GOOOOOD and baaaad, I lucked out big time when I camped at the hotsprings, Orvis I think they’re called. They’re just on the right after you make the right turn to head south towards Ouray from T-ride, doesn’t look like much from the outside, but its all grotto on the inside.
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

I recommend hitting up the gold hill chutes if you get the chance, baldy on a pow-day. Don't go out of bounds if you don't know where you're going.

-T

Don't go out of bounds if you don't know where you're going.
    +1, very easy to get cliffed!

Definitely one of the best in US, great tree skiing (log-pile, West drain, local's glade) and good steeps!
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

BC stuff looks gnarly. I was not very impressed with inbounds, nice trees and some good shots off gold hill? and prospect bowl? but mini-golf for sure. Chair 9 is fun and steep with lots of varied terrain. We got dumped on as well while we were there and there was so much terrain to look at that you wanted to ski with all that new snow, but was technically OB. But now they opened that new chair so I heard it has added a lot of sweet terrain, so your experience will be different then mine. I agree with the above though, definitely the most dramatic scenery for a mt town that I have seen.
    Last edited by thin cover; 12-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.

With new terrain/chairs opening the last 5yrs (prospect and now revelation this year) I think T'ride is definitely Top 5 and maybe Top 3 in North America now. in bounds hike-to terrain is sick and BC is unreal. had probably my best day in the BC ever in Bear Creek. laps of ~3500 vertical right back into town. the last time I was there it dumped so much we blew off a day at Silverton to just stay and ski t'ride. part of it was the sketchy road to Silverton in storm conditions but it was sooo good. town is awesome too...

[edited to add pics of bear creek and to say you should definitely only go in there with someone that knows the terrain. very easy to end of at the top end of these cliffs instead of the chutes.]
    Last edited by sierraskier; 12-09-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ouray is worth the side trip for hotsprings and is a half hour from Silverton.
    While Ouray is worthwhile for a side trip, the hot springs (orvis) in Ridgway are far superior and closer to Tride.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    While Ouray is worthwhile for a side trip, the hot springs (orvis) in Ridgway are far superior and closer to Tride.
    Until the wood sporting redneck starts shadowing your family.

I agree with Telluride being a gem tucked in the San Juans, you really can't beat the town after skiing, or hell, running into town for lunch WHILE skiing.

I just wish I knew where to go...

Anyway, here are two massive TR's that I've done that include Telluride and Silverton. Telluride is pricey, but you can get some great deals at the New Sheridan, and spending a couple days ski touring the area, touring Red Mountain pass, and taking a day trip or two to Silverton (if the road is clear, its really not a bad drive at all).

2006 - http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1064525

2007 - http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107517

Telluride is the coolest fucking town ive ever been to. Not to mention we got 43" in 3 days while we were there last January.

Go eat breakfast at Maggie's one morning.
    -Bruteshred

If you're up for a tour in the area, here's link to some guys who run a great guiding co off Red Mountain Pass:
    http://www.mountaingoatskiguides.com..._Colorado.html

Some good info here.
    Thanks!
    Keep it comin'!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    The hike to it stuff is great, p..mrya-peak (sp??) is well worth the 30-60min hike on a snow day.
    No way is Palmyra Peak only a 30-60 minute hike, but is definitely drool worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    BC stuff looks gnarly. I was not very impressed with inbounds, nice trees and some good shots off gold hill? and prospect bowl? but mini-golf for sure.
    Um, say what? Mini-golf? What mountain does impress you? It seems obvious to me that you're either the biggest bad-ass on the planet, a poser, or you just didn't know where to go.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have a friend who went out to Telluride a few years ago. He has not been back since...

Quote Originally Posted by BruteShred View Post
    Telluride is the coolest fucking town ive ever been to. Not to mention we got 43" in 3 days while we were there last January.

i was there for that storm as well.....fuckin sick

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No way is Palmyra Peak only a 30-60 minute hike, but is definitely drool worthy.

Um, say what? Mini-golf? What mountain does impress you? It seems obvious to me that you're either the biggest bad-ass on the planet, a poser, or you just didn't know where to go.
    I am a poser, trying to find my gnar.

I said gold hill and prospect bowl were minigolf, And they are, I found the vert to be short for the goods that you got. They are the flanks of pamlrya peak. The actual peak looks ridiculous. These were the only really above treeline in bounds stuff when I was there in addition to bald peak, much has changed since then. And I would love to get back there to see it. I also acknowledged that out of bounds stuff was nice, did not get a chance to ski it. I clearly listed where I went If I missed something then please enlighten me(inbounds). It was not that kind of trip. We were staying with people who do not ski that much and in a gifted 6 million dollar condo in Mt Village. this trip was all plush and no gnar. Do I need to shower thee in Massengill now or are we cool with what my opinion was?
    Last edited by thin cover; 12-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Totally hit Tempter, all the ballyhoo is just spray from locals trying to keep gapers out.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
    I have a friend who went out to Telluride a few years ago. He has not been back since...
    why is that?
    -Bruteshred

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    With new terrain/chairs opening the last 5yrs (prospect and now revelation this year) I think T'ride is definitely Top 5 and maybe Top 3 in North America now. in bounds hike-to terrain is sick and BC is unreal. had probably my best day in the BC ever in Bear Creek. laps of ~3500 vertical right back into town. the last time I was there it dumped so much we blew off a day at Silverton to just stay and ski t'ride. part of it was the sketchy road to Silverton in storm conditions but it was sooo good. town is awesome too...

[edited to add pics of bear creek and to say you should definitely only go in there with someone that knows the terrain. very easy to end of at the top end of these cliffs instead of the chutes.]
    +1 you got the essence of tride right here. bear creek...but inbounds gets good too - andy's gold, gold hill chutes, palmyra peak...its all so money no one really knows it either

Quote Originally Posted by BruteShred View Post

fuck that...colorado bulldogs at gorrono on the beach baby

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Totally hit Tempter, all the ballyhoo is just spray from locals trying to keep gapers out.
    nellies.

This is a shot from the gondola in Telluride, with Palmyra Peak in the distance

Another shot from the gondola. The town of Telluride is in the lower left corner.

This was the view from our condo patio when we went to Telly

In summary, Go to Telluride!
    -Bruteshred

It's a beautiful place. You should go if you get the chance.

Great skiing. I like the bump runs under lift 9.

lots more pictures
    http://www.tdsphoto.com/ski/telluride/index.htm