Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bluehouse Shoots Review

'08-'09 Bluehouse Shoots 191cm

Height 6’1”
    Weight 185-190lbs
    Dims 149-128-133
    Flex- Stiff to Very Stiff
    Mount Point –1cm (-10mm as marked on the ski)
    Other skis I have/like: Gotama, Sumo, Praxis Powder.

Background: I picked these up because it was a great deal and I wanted to try something that may replace my Sumos. While I like the Sumo I feel they are a little hooky and I thought the Shoots might help in that area. I’m going to be in the Vail Valley most of the winter so if you are there or even Summit Co and want to try them let me know. My BSL is 325mm and have some room to adjust to a smaller or larger boot.

Conditions: Pow, Chopped Pow, Crust, Soft bumps, groomed.

Construction: Very beefy and solid. Top sheets seem to be holding up well to normal tip and sidewall nicks/dings. Haven’t taken any major hits to the bases but holding up to light shots.

Review quick read: Stiff, great in pow and crud, like speed, heavy.

Not so quick read.
    Pow- Nice and floaty. You can drive the tips and the rocker pops them back up. They sort of just cruise along without a lot of input needed. Best if you stay centered or a little forward. They won’t punish you if you are back but they just don’t respond well. With the rocker there is no reason to have to sit back.

Chopped Pow and Crud: These plow through chopped pow and crud with no sign of being knocked around. Between the rocker and stiff flex they are very stable in these conditions. Stay forward and drive them. Getting in the back seat is a problem, as they will run away from you. I played around with trying to sink the tips by going from a packed pow section into an untracked crud spot. They’ll sink a little and put your forward but recover quickly.

Trees: Tight trees and slow speed are tough to manage with these, but the rocker helps a bit. I felt surprisingly comfortable in more open sections. They turn a little better than I expected.

Groomers and Bumps: It felt like I had to stay on top of them to make turns on soft groomers. You can get them to make shorter turns but it’s a little work. On hardpack you have to really tip them to get on edge. To carve you need a lot of room. Soft, medium spaced bumps were doable and not a problem. Didn’t get in tight bumps but expect them to be a handful. Probably best to go with the ride the tops technique or just get out of there as soon as you can.

Air: I don’t really drop anything big, 10ft and under is about my range. Landings were solid and smooth, which is expected given what’s under foot. I like a stiffer tail for drops rather than something soft that will wash out. The Shoots fit that requirement.

Overall impression: I’m going to ski the Sumos and Shoots back to back a couple more times. I’m leaning toward the Shoots at this point since they have none of that hooky feeling I get with Sumos. The Shoots don’t get knocked around as much in chopped as well. Like Ricky Bobby they wanna go fast. I like the stability and I’m sold on tip rocker. The downside to them is that they are heavy. That coupled with the stiffness means I need to be in a little better shape to ski these all day. I’d like to see a slightly less stiff version for guys like me. I’d also like to see less camber. I’m really not sure why this ski needs this much or any camber for that matter. I don’t think that removing it is really going to change hardpack performance, and I didn’t get them for hardpack days anyway. When you hold the ski base to base and squeeze them it changes the rocker height and where the rocker starts. I don’t know the dynamics of how this effects on snow performance. Maybe someone has some insight on this.

** Follow up mini review 12/23**
    Had quite a few more days on these including a 14" day today. Also had a chance to ski the Sumos in similar pow conditions. The Sumos will be going up on gear swap.

The Shoots continue to deliver in pow and chopped pow. They plow through everything. Playing with the amount of tip pressure allows you to sink the tips a bit or float on top. The topsheets are chipping a bit more but not nearly as bad, or in the same way as my Gotamas. More nicks, than large chipping that occurs with the Volkls. Bases are holding up well but seem slow. Not sure if it's the bases or the snow/wax combo I'm running. Damn they are heavy though and I'd still prefer a little less stiffness, and zero camber.
    Last edited by thommy21; 12-23-2008 at 06:08 PM.

SWEET! Great review and thanks for the info - can't wait to get my Shoots out in it!
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

I am really trying to swap my Mavens for a pair of Shoots....bluehouse, please check your PM box and your email

Sounds like fun. Donkey Punch had a lot of similar things to say about them last Friday at Loveland. If they remove that camber and make it flat = $$$ crud destroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    I am really trying to swap my Mavens for a pair of Shoots....bluehouse, please check your PM box and your email

Sounds like fun. Donkey Punch had a lot of similar things to say about them last Friday at Loveland. If they remove that camber and make it flat = $$$ crud destroyer.
    I think that will be a great trade for you. The Mavens to me seemed more of a quiver pow or backcountry jib specific ski. The Shoots will be great in pow but will definitley have way more top end and plow through anything!

De Oppresso Liber

Another review (albeit a much shorter one, long one coming as soon as we get some snow in tahoe):

I was visiting family in Utah last week and snuck out and skied the bird for 2 days. Conditions were mixed and pretty good.

Me:
    5'10"
    racer, competitor etc...

Shoots seemed like a really, really good version of the EHP 193, which I was on most of last year. They do everything the EHP does a lot better and with more confidence. The added tail stiffness is great and the tip rocker helps quite a bit in mixed conditions. I wish they were a little more decambered though, as they do have a tendency to "pop" a lighter skier like myself up off the snow when going fast in mixed conditions when I hit a small hidden bump or something.

Overall: 9/10, completely satisfied, looks like an excellent tahoe ski
    Salt, Sweat, Sugar on the asphalt

Quote Originally Posted by freeskisquaw View Post
    ....as soon as we get some snow in tahoe...
    Check the weather... things are looking pretty good at the moment.

Another review (albeit a much shorter one, long one coming as soon as we get some snow in tahoe):

I was visiting family in Utah last week and snuck out and skied the bird for 2 days. Conditions were mixed and pretty good.

Me:
    5'10"
    racer, competitor etc...

Shoots seemed like a really, really good version of the EHP 193, which I was on most of last year. They do everything the EHP does a lot better and with more confidence. The added tail stiffness is great and the tip rocker helps quite a bit in mixed conditions. I wish they were a little more decambered though, as they do have a tendency to "pop" a lighter skier like myself up off the snow when going fast in mixed conditions when I hit a small hidden bump or something.

Where did you mount them?

Quote Originally Posted by thd View Post
    Where did you mount them?
    Ditto - would like as much mounting info as we can get - going to mount mine here shortly and I really want to get it right the first time!

De Oppresso Liber

^^^ I have talked to two people now that have extensive time on them...Donkey Punch being one of them.

They both mounted at -1cm of the recommended point. I am going to do the same tomorrow.

Can't wait to get my Jesters on my Ninja Black shoots!

That would be at 81cms from the tail, tape following the ski? Or can you use the sidewall mark for reference?

My protos are at 83 from the tail, and felt like they were a bit too far forward. If I decide to remount them, I´ll go two back. My production model pair will be mounted further back for sure.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    That would be at 81cms from the tail, tape following the ski? Or can you use the sidewall mark for reference?

My protos are at 83 from the tail, and felt like they were a bit too far forward. If I decide to remount them, I´ll go two back. My production model pair will be mounted further back for sure.
    I am not sure...my pair has no side marks on them

But yes, that would be at 81 cm from the tail, measured along the curve of the ski.

I will post a pic of them tomorrow night.

awesome - thanks for the info - I can't wait to get these bad boyz out in the rough!

De Oppresso Liber

Hugh Conway Guest
    My 2 Pesos Americano

Shoots -1cm w/Dukes for Axons

Me ~5'10" ~200

Conditions - shit Whistler and skinning Alpental powder.

Not sure if its the flex or a factor of the shorter contact length but the feel similar in stiffness to my OG Big Daddys or perhaps slightly less. Very sweet in pow. They like to jump off things, more than me. More than manageable on groomers and shit in moguls (no surprise).

Agree with the OP on just 'bout everything... but I'll add....

FUCKING HEAVY. My feet felt like they were going to pop out the tops of my boots on the chair. BURLY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

Wanna talk heavy - I have Rossi Axial2 200 XXL's (same as Look PX18) mounted on my Shoots - damn heavy set-up but talk about being able to plow through anything! I dont think I'd change a thing with that ski! Although I'd like to try a pair with zero camber - but in all - totally happy with the ski!
    Last edited by altasnowbirdripper; 12-29-2008 at 04:07 PM.

De Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by altasnowbirdripper View Post
    damn heavy set-up but talk about being able to plow through anything! I dont think I'd change a thing with that ski! Although I'd like to try a pair with zero camber - but in all - totally happy with the ski!

Quoted for truth. My only beef with them is the shit that passes for top sheets. I must have 8 chips now, and these are not small chips either. If Bluehouse can get this issue figured out then I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair. Oh they should also scale down the Shoot to around 105-110 in the waist. Then I could sell my Ants and buy another pair of KICKASS sticks.

Oh and for anyone that is on the fence about rocker, it fucking rules. I am not sure I will buy another pair of skis that doesn't have tip rocker, its that good.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post

Oh and for anyone that is on the fence about rocker, it fucking rules. I am not sure I will buy another pair of skis that doesn't have tip rocker, its that good.

DITTO on this one

Me:
    5'10"
    racer, competitor etc...

Did you get to run 'em at squally yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    Quoted for truth. My only beef with them is the shit that passes for top sheets. I must have 8 chips now, and these are not small chips either. If Bluehouse can get this issue figured out then I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair. Oh they should also scale down the Shoot to around 105-110 in the waist. Then I could sell my Ants and buy another pair of KICKASS sticks.

Interesting about the top sheet chipping - I'll have to watch mine closely

De Oppresso Liber

I got out on mine for day two today...I have one nick on the topsheet already.

Mini Review:

Mounted -1 with Jesters

I like these skis, but they are VERY specialized. Groomers for me were a nightmare (very hard groomers = no likey turny), but they tore up crud and sun-baked pow pretty damn well. Very easy to smear around in these conditions.

And oh yeah, they are STABLE at speed

The top sheets on my Districts were were chipped pretty bad after a six day.

This should have been a boner pow day review, but epic conditions on thursday turned to boilerplate ice on saturday due to heavy rain on friday. Sunday had milder weather, so I had to take them out...

Mounted at -1cm with fks 185´s (black, white and gold, )

Skis I like: LP´s, Arnos, Praxis pow

Short, one day, hard groomer review:

Speed limit: Terminal velocity. I couldn´t go much faster at the given steepness due to air resistance.

Gets more stable, the faster you go.

Easy to slide around at low speed due to short contact length. It took me a few runs to figure out where the tips were, due to the rocker, the ski looks long, but in a way it skis short. (and in a way it skis long)

Doesn´t like to turn on groomed, but with 2cms of soft on top, you can do relatively short radius turns. It takes input, and you need to pressure the tips.

I don´t get the issue with the camber. I´ve flexed mine hard a few times, and now the camber is almost gone. (It´s not sticky, but like most skis they seem to relax a bit initially.)

The GF liked her 176 districts too (mounted -1 with white and red linkens, steezy), even if conditions were not right. Camber on the districts relaxed a lot with a few hard flexes, they are now almost completely flat, but keep their shape.

New reviews will come as soon as we get some more snow...

Finally got some snow, so time to add to the thoughts above.

Conditions were mostly chopped pow and crud, with some patches of untouched in between.

Open spaces: Go fast over/through crud, stays stable, likes to be driven. In untouched pow they surf, bounce from turn to turn and turn effortlessly with a bit of pressure on the tip.

Trees: Very fun, surprisingly fast to turn, easy to scrub speed. Made me almost a bit too confident at times, don´t think I´ve ever skied so fast through the runs I did. You do get worked though, and once you get tired, the 3kgs of ski on each foot makes itself felt.

Hucking: Very confident, think I set a new personal height record on my second day of skiing them in a bit of snow...

Durability: Seems very good so far, no chipping yet. Hit a round rock going mach 1, flipped me around, skis just got some scuffs on the edge, nothing really.

Overall very fun skis, takes a bit of muscle, but not as much as you would think by flexing them or looking at the dims.

A friend of mine (who borrowed my Praxis), did a quick comparison which can be summed up like this: Praxis are easier to ski, take less effort and won´t take you for a ride. Shoots are more stable, require more and have a higher top end.

Girlfriend seems to really like her 176 Districts too, never seen her go so fast in crud before. Says they take a bit more input than her 181 Titan Nine´s. She has not had a chance to find out about the float-factor yet, but I´m guessing she´ll be floating like a cork...
    Last edited by SiSt; 02-20-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Are you on a production or Proto pair? The camber on mine after a good 10+ days hasn't relaxed at all. I'm not big guy at 190lb, but I haven't babied them including bouncing in between bumps on them.

I´m on a production pair now. Initially it had about two cms of camber when standing base to base. Now, it´s down to ~half that. When lying on a flat surface with the base down, remaining camber is just a few mms.

The mount point feels about right after having had my protos at +1cm. I would not go forward again, but I need a few more days to be absolutely sure if I´m in the perfect spot or if that might be even a bit more back. Don´t think I´m far off at any rate. They feel well balanced where they are now.

Tele Mount?

Any suggestions for where to mount them tele?