Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi

Thoughts on the 2005-2008 Toyota Tacoma...

It's time that I bought a new vehicle, and the tacos intrigue me... Anyone want to share some experiences they've had with theirs? Which trims, years, options to avoid? What options you've had good luck with?

I'm ruling out the PreRunner, as I definitely want 4WD. I'm also ruling out the regular cab, as I need more passenger room. I'd like the four door cab, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money... Access cab?

Educate me concerning the SR5 label? TRD? Is it worth it to go to the V6, as opposed to the trusty, fuel-efficient 4-banger?

And, of course, if you know someone who is selling one, let me know.

EDIT: What about rebuilt/salvage titles? Looks like the same year of taco truck can be had for a few grand less... is this too risky?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

I own an '05 Tacoma four door cab, TRD with the 4 liter V-6 and 4WD. This is my daily commuting vehicle. Bought it used with about 24K on it and have 66K on it now. In that span nothing but scheduled maintenance. Gas mileage with the 4 liter is good but not remarkable. The overhead display just went out but that is symptomatic with the 05-06 Taco's.

I also own an 05 Sequoia and my only complaint with the Toy's is their four wheel drive system. Definitely subpar compared to some Detroit products I've owned. On the flip side, the fit and finish of the Toyotas is outstanding.

Search; I've posted on this before here. My wife has an '05 Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by gmerz View Post
    The overhead display just went out but that is symptomatic with the 05-06 Taco's.
    That's fixable if you know how to solder. There are 2 resistors in the display unit that come loose from the circuit board. It's a pretty easy fix.... PM me if you want me to walk you through it.

I resoldered that resistor last week. Either the solder didn't hold or the other resistor came loose. When I bought the Taco I did buy the extended warranty so I'm gonna let the dealer fix it... Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by gmerz View Post
    I resoldered that resistor last week. Either the solder didn't hold or the other resistor came loose. When I bought the Taco I did buy the extended warranty so I'm gonna let the dealer fix it... Thanks....
    I'm going to recommend hitting up a wrecker instead of the stealership, unless you don't mind the $1500 tab. I tried 3 different dealers and none will try and repair, it's replace the entire unit or nothing.

I've got an '06 TRD double cab "long" box, bought the dealer demo so it came with pretty much everything Toyota offers. It tows well, trailering package is part of the TRD sport so you get the o/s alternator, tranny cooler and hitch with the V6 providing plenty of power. Rear springs blow if you're trying to load up the box to anywhere near it's capacity, though.
    It's a long truck, still reasonably manouverable, but a little rough in city parking lots. The box divider was probably the one thing that I never would have ordered if it hadn't been included in the demo, but it's surprisingly useful.

I finally did my tgr homework, and came up with this. I'm adding for the sake of making this thread more useful, but more personal experiences and testimonies of the tacoma are always welcome to give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about going with the tacoma. Gas mileage seems to be the biggest black eye, so far.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tacoma

Hopefully this thread just got useful.

'06 Taco here, 4x4, SR5, access cab, ltd slip diff. Zero maintenance issues thus far, 50k miles. No topper, yet, thinking of softopper.

In a nutshell, i'm satisfied, but not sure i'd do it again in hindsight. Mileage 18-22. Drives fine. Seems a bit tinny when you shut/slam the doors, maybe cuz it's latching to the half door instead of a pillar. 6 speed is fine, but rated mileage was equal or slightly higher with the auto. Rear seat could be ok for a couple kids on a longer trip, adults, 15 minutes is about the limit, it's tight, bench is too firm. But the 4 door shrinks the bed...compromises...
    Friend has that new FJ. I like the way you can hose the whole thing out, even the seats. If you're a dog owner, that could be cool. It also has the traction control stuff i didn't get. Might check those out unless you really need the pickup bed...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

bump, what'd you end up getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    bump, what'd you end up getting?
    Just noticed this question, though it's over a month old. I ended up buying a cherry '07 Tacoma, TRD Off-road edition, Access cab. It's black, and looks good (when it's not dirty). I got it from an old man, so I couldn't be more happy. I kind of wanted the four door, but I didn't want to spend three or four grand more for one. Now I'm looking for a camper shell/topper for it.

Anyone have a shell that'll fit this?

Nissan Crew Cab?? vs Toyota??

I too, am considering a new rig within the next year or so. I've had 3 Toyotas and each one I sold or traded in for more than blue book with 250,000 miles or more. I want a 4 door truck with a 6' bed. Toyotas cost a shitload and are no longer made in Japan.

Does anyone have any opinions of the newer (within the past few years), Nissan Crew Cab 6' bed 4x4s??

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    I too, am considering a new rig within the next year or so. I've had 3 Toyotas and each one I sold or traded in for more than blue book with 250,000 miles or more. I want a 4 door truck with a 6' bed. Toyotas cost a shitload and are no longer made in Japan.

Does anyone have any opinions of the newer (within the past few years), Nissan Crew Cab 6' bed 4x4s??
    My buddy has the 2007 Nissan Nissmo package, extended cab. He loves it. Personally, I think it looks really nice. When I was researching and reading the reviews, most people rated these right behind the new tacos. They're certainly a bit more affordable. I went with the taco because I found one for an amazing price considering its condition.

I went with the NISMO (just cause I couldn't justify the price tag for the taco) and gotta say, as much as I am a Toyota guy, I love this truck.

I've got the short bed (6') king cab and have put a ton of miles on it in a year (50k). Besides scheduled maintenance, and the fact I got hit twice on my birthday (read, body work was done) it's only had one minor problem with the seat.

One downside of the Nissan is it's certainly easier to find off road parts/armor/etc if you go with the Taco (but they exist for the Nissan, just less to pick from)

PM me with any questions...

I'm resurrecting this thread just for the hell of it, as I've now owned my taco for more than two years and have been nothing but thrilled with it. I've also beefed it up, just a bit...

Pretty much how it's looked since I bought it (until recently)...

What it looks like, nowadays...

Modifications have included:

Old Man Emu lift, ARB front bumper with Hella's and Warn XD9000 winch...

33"X12.50"R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers with 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers...

All Pro IFS skid plate gets me 13.5" of clearance...

Demello rear wraparound bumper...

Also put on some All Pro sliders that were built for and FJ, modified to fit the taco... It's been a fun little truck.

Do want!!!

the engineer I did a little work for last year got a new 2010 tacoma it cost 32 K ,with only 5000kms on the odo his surveyor writes the truck off ,the engineer is gona lose some $ here and doesnt wana spring for another taco so I suggested a new ranger which he bought for <20k

1 year later I asked buddy what he thot about his decision and he said the tacoma was a nice truck but for his money it wasnt worth it to him to spend the extra 13k

of course YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    1 year later I asked buddy what he thot about his decision and he said the tacoma was a nice truck but for his money it wasnt worth it to him to spend the extra 13k
    Been thinking the same over the past couple of years - all recent N American made trucks are pretty close to one another - especially when being considered for any business use. Toyota has a rep that increases the price, but over 10yrs it seems to balance out with other comparable trucks. For me the best deal is the 7 to 10yrs old trucks - all else being equal, the warranty period issues should have passed, and the 10yr issues like replacing exhaust, CV and U joints, shocks, 2nd timing belt, etc. have yet to start. Only real difference between this and the warranty period is that I prefer piece-of-mind in the backcountry over warranty-covered repairs. Currently have an '03 Taco 4X4 Access cab, paid the premium, and it has been very good to me - but in another year or two I will be looking again and I pretty much have an open mind for the period stated.

I still miss my '85/22RE terribly Now if Toyota would ever bring a left hand drive Hilux with the 3.0L turbodiesel into the N.American market - this would be a whole different discussion.

Oh, and sweet looking rig RTR!
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 06-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    What it looks like, nowadays...
    ????

3 years in with my 07 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with the 6 speed.

Still dont regret saving 6k over a similarly optioned Taco, and mine has a sunroof.

Have had zero problems.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    ????
    ^^^LOL. My real celebrity lookalike is Wade Boggs, though.

By the way, I have no idea where you guys are buying your tacos. I would never pay $32k for a mid-sized pickup truck. The key is to find a good deal on a tacoma. Price being equal, I'm hard-pressed to believe that other trucks compete. I've driven the Nissan Frontier plenty, as my office has one. It's comparable, for sure. My buddy has the Nissmo version, and it's sweet. But you're most likely going to see the large price differences when you're buying new or very close to new.

Nice looking rig. Who'd you have do the upgrades?
    That's gotta be fun for running around down in the Owyhees. Can't imagine though that it gets the great of mpg with those tires on the highway though.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I still miss my '85/22RE terribly
    '85/22R, slow as fuck, but one of the best rigs evah
    hope to never part with mine

My buddy has a basic 2009 taco, access cab, 4.0, works it hard and never an issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toy.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	97723  

Tacomas are pretty much bullet proof, if you are getting a 4x4, definitely get the 3.4 v6, the 2.7 4 banger only gets like 2 mpg better if that, and arent quite as reputable. the 2.4 (which is basically the exact same my the old 22r, best toyota engine ever built) gets 28 mpg but is only available on the 2wd versions. I was looking for a tacoma not too long ago myself and couldnt find one in my price range i liked. Ended up going with a Ford Ranger, 4.0, (got it with 28,000 miles for $5000 from a family friend).
    After doing some research I found the Rangers are about as long lasting as the tacoma, get about the same mpg, about the same power and is always a lot less expensive. most have problems with the transfer case at some point, but the 4.0 is know for going for well over 200,000 miles have seen a few with 300,000 original miles. They really havent changed anything for close to 20 years now. They dont have the same sex apeal as a tacoma, but so far no complaints at all.
    Just my .02

We bought Mrs. C. a 2009 Subaru Outback yesterday, to replace her 2005 double cab Tacoma. She needs better MPG with as much as she drives.

Maggot discount if you buy our Tacoma. All the info on the craigslist ad:

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2422798664.html
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

[dick waving]Can't comment on the 05-08 models, but I did just pick this little beauty up today. Top to bottom rebuild by a local mechanic. '80 with a 22R swap. So long Chevy![/dick waving]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_00009.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	97782  
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

I have the same truck in a 2007 model year...its great.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    We bought Mrs. C. a 2009 Subaru Outback yesterday, to replace her 2005 double cab Tacoma. She needs better MPG with as much as she drives.

Maggot discount if you buy our Tacoma. All the info on the craigslist ad:

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2422798664.html