what's inside?

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    what's inside?
    little geisha girls fanning air through the pipes

sucking in or blowing out? Heat?

Excellent!

To answer the questions above.

Q: Inside? A: Nothing

#2nd Q: Sucking in and forcing air into the boots through the tubes. No heat.

The shop guys have an excellent homemade model that somebody built a few years ago. I will post a pic this week.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Boot dryers don't really need heat. Best portable ones I ever had didn't use it and dried soggy liners in the boots in about an hour. Looks like a good setup.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

That's a great idea, would there be any advantage to making the tube longer with a 90* bend and another short section so the air is put into the toe box then forced out the cuff?

Needs some steezy stickers, and then you're good to go.

Somebody needs to run a trial of sucking vs blowing on a rig like that. It just seems like blowing would do a better job of penetrating the lining, especially up in the toe (away from the pipe opening.

Well, that one IS blowing.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Just realized that. Got confused since it's a sucking fan, but the exhaust is what's going into the boots.

Gave it a go with an old modified range hood, some irrigation pipe and flexible beer bong tubing. Fan reversed so that it pulls through the little vent in the face and blows into the boots/gloves.

NICE !

I got a buddy who retrofitted an ugly used range hood over his waxing bench to pull off wax fumes and send them out side

I am working on a plan to plumb something into the furnace for drying boots & gloves probably a rack with some flexible hosing

I hooked up a duct to my forced hot air heat in the basement. Ran it to a plywood box I built with 12 PVC tubes, 6 large and 6 smaller diameter. I've been using it for about 20 years now. It works awsome and will dry 3 pairs of boots and 3 pairs of gloves at the same time. Only works in the winter when the heat is on though.

Quote Originally Posted by K man View Post
    I hooked up a duct to my forced hot air heat in the basement. Ran it to a plywood box I built with 12 PVC tubes, 6 large and 6 smaller diameter. I've been using it for about 20 years now. It works awsome and will dry 3 pairs of boots and 3 pairs of gloves at the same time. Only works in the winter when the heat is on though.
    Picts !

and if you have figured a way to ski in the summer ...you are a genius

Two computer fans, some wood wire and 2 inch pipe. An hour or two at the most to get everything dry, unless it is really soaked, then maybe three or four.

here is my version for 5 pairs of boots and gloves.

for more details check out http://chris-cbphotography.blogspot....ove-dryer.html it will dry boots and gloves usually in an hour or less.

I can't move my legs right now and my face hurts, literally opening my mouth hurts, from skiing the last two days of fresh ...life is tough.

So, it is time to contemplate and possibly tackle the famed boot dryer project.

Is it damaging to liners to take them out of boot shells after each ski session to dry? (searched and couldn't find an answer)

If so, then I'm goin' for it and will post pics when finished.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I would like to see one with heat. potentially to use before skiing. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I would like to see one with heat. potentially to use before skiing. hmmm
    Put any of the aboves air intake next to either the HVAC registers, stove, fireplace, radiant heater, or space heater.... I have mine right next to a register. But heat is really not needed.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Sweet designs. Anyone have any reccommendations for a battery power/no power boot dryer option.. Camper living often lacks electricity after all.

I'm considering making one of these for the car, powered off the inverter.

In searching around, I have seen people use a 100W lightbulb with a black painted interior for the heat, and a small 120VAC muffin fan. A 100W bulb can be safely lit continuously even with no airflow so I would say it's OK in this application.

If you're running on batteries and can't afford a 100W load, you could rig it up so the fan and the heat could be powered separately. This fan is only 18 watts.

You could also go no heat and use a 12v computer fan.

With absolutely no batteries, you could pick up 2 of these Zippo catalytic heaters.

Computer case fans run on 12V dc and are wicked cheap. Possibly more efficient than going through the inverter.

If you wanted a lightbulb/heat of course there are many 12V lights.

Quote Originally Posted by coreshot-tourettes View Post
    I'm considering making one of these for the car, powered off the inverter.

In searching around, I have seen people use a 100W lightbulb with a black painted interior for the heat, and a small 120VAC muffin fan. A 100W bulb can be safely lit continuously even with no airflow so I would say it's OK in this application.

If you're running on batteries and can't afford a 100W load, you could rig it up so the fan and the heat could be powered separately. This fan is only 18 watts.

You could also go no heat and use a 12v computer fan.

With absolutely no batteries, you could pick up 2 of these Zippo catalytic heaters.
    I have lots of comments:

100W is way too hot for a boot heater. I should measure my boot dryer when I get home.
    100W is about 9A at 12V. A truck or RV battery has about 70 - 85 AHrs so it would drain a battery in 7 - 9 hours.

A propane powered boot dryer works great (we use it hunting).

If you wait for sales at Cabelas you can pick up a nice dryer like this for $30:

I built a dryer using PVC pipe and a hair dryer which worked ok but it turns out PVC has a low melting point and PVC fittings aren't cheap either.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    If you wait for sales at Cabelas you can pick up a nice dryer like this for $30:
    For the same price this seems like a better deal. It actually blows the air instead of just heating it and has 4 posts instead of 2.

Edit: I just pulled the trigger on one of those, not for ski boots (never had a problem with just pulling the liners) but for my surfing booties. Those things stink to high heaven if I don't point a fan at them all night!
    Last edited by SaSSafraS_LTK; 11-23-2011 at 11:46 PM.