Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Review: 195 Line Mothership

I had gotten out on these for a day last year, and now that I own them, have put 5 days on them this year in conditions ranging from man-made-boiler-scrape-tastic to DEEP ass pow at Loveland today. Also some freezer dried crud.

Ski Specs: 195cm, slight tip rocker,142-111-131, two sheets of metal, 62/42 tip and tail height. Some Camber underfoot, but not crazy. Mounted at +1cm from midsole mark on ski.

Me: 5'10", 207 lbs, ski fast and prefer big ass turns in almost all types of snow. I can turn it short just fine when needed (trees), but why bother when it is wide open?

Boots / Binders: Nordica Speedmachine 12 and Dukes

Other skis ridden/owned to compare: Original 192 Mothership, 190 Katana, 191 Goliath, 194 LP

First Impression: This ski is long. Even though I demoed these in the 195, I was wondering if I made the right decision. They are also STIFF...felt much stiffer under foot and in the tail then the Katana. A little stiffer in front of the toe-piece, but the same from about 1/2 way up the tip to the nose as the Katana as well. Should be damn fun in crud, not sure about deep pow, and these may be labor intensive to turn short when needed.

Results of real world...

Groomers / Hardpack / Packed Powder:

This ski has NO business holding an edge in medium to long and VERY long turns like it does on a groomer or hardpack. It feels very comparable to a pair of ski cross type skis (atomic SX11) on the edge hold scale. I have pushed and pushed this ski down groomers and man made scraped off crap at A-Basin and Keystone this year, and it just has NO speed limit. It literally blasts through anything smaller then a few inches, and absorbs terrain changes 100 times better then expected. It leaves trenches comparable to a 194 LP with 50% of the effort. It destroys the 190 Katana, perhaps due to the more traditional type camber (vs being flat)? Not sure...I just know that it kills the Volkl on terrain like this. It feels very similar to the Goliath on groomers, but I never got the Goliath on HARD, HARD snow, so I cannot compare it to that. On Packed Powder, it carves like a hot knife through a kitten's throat.

Small turns are WAY easier then I expected across the board, no matter what the condition. Granted, I am not carving the shorter turns like the long ones, but they swing around and slide back and forth much faster in short turns then the Katana, Goliath, LP, or original 192 Mothership did.

Crud / Mank / Windblown:

The Mothership really transitions from the groomer, hardpack world directly into the crud, mank world without missing a single beat. I am literally able to ski this ski exactly the same (weighting, stance, speed) in this crap as I do on the groomed. Major A+ for this ski right there off the bat. The tip rise really starts to pop at medium to higher speeds, and it does have a little more rocker up front then my 190 Katana had. The turns are again very predictable and strong, and on par with a 194 LP, albeit easier yet again. Very stable, and tank-like. A battering ram, if you will. It eats windblown crust for breakfast, and it gives the rider (me) a confidence in snow like this that I have been missing for a few seasons.

Powder / Deep Powder: This is where I was truly impressed today. I had a chance to test the 195 last year in 8" to 10" of fresh, and I really found it fun, but lacking any type of "plane" ability. I know now that the ski I tested last year was a prototype, and the production model has a little less camber under foot and more tip rise.

What a difference a year makes

The Mothership was SOOOOO easy today in DEEEEEEP ass, heavy pow at Loveland (63" total in the storm cycle since 11/27 PM). It kept speed better then a pair of fatties I was on early (Bluehouse Maven), and it was near impossible to bury the tip too deep. The snow today was really grabby and would suck you under, but this only happened a couple of times for me. The ski really floated in the tip, but stayed lively as well. Sometimes in this same type of snow last year, my 190 Katanas would get smeary and bog down slightly. The Mothership was having none of that today. The length was of course a little tougher here in short turns and in the trees, but if you stay on top of the ski and really drive it, it rewards you big time in pow-trees. It has float that a ski this stiff and big should not have. Some other skis (Goliath) tended to drive through pow more, no matter what you did to them. The Mothership can and will do that, but if you back off just a bit (and NOT drive the tip so hard) it rises up and smears more like the Katana.

Overall, this ski feels very similar in feel to the original Mothership, just faster and wider, and a bit stiffer. It holds an edge like a 194 LP, smears in pow like a 190 Katana, and destroys crud and mank like a Goliath.

Ladies and Gentleman, I am totally in love with the 195 Mothership, and I look forward to a long and happy relationship with them

And a quick video of them handling the death crust in Teacup Bowl Trees on 12-11-2008:

Grade: A, maybe A+ after a few more days on them
    Last edited by PowTron; 02-11-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Nice review. I'd really like to try these out sometime. The only foreseeable problem for me would be their weight. My Goliath/Duke set up is heavy enough as it is. I imagine the Motherships would be limited to resort skiing.

I foresee Motherships in my future.

Nice review!
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Nice review. I'd really like to try these out sometime. The only foreseeable problem for me would be their weight. My Goliath/Duke set up is heavy enough as it is. I imagine the Motherships would be limited to resort skiing.
    I have toured with them once this year, and they were fine. Granted, I don't do long tours, Berthoud and Loveland pass type deals usually. Then the skis go on my back. They are heavy, don't get me wrong, but they are for SURE lighter then my 190 Katana and Rossi Axial 200 (10-18) setup I had last year, no doubt.

I guess after lugging around those, or my two kids at home every day, this setup seems light to me, haha...

Powtron, what is the running length like on these with the twin? I have some unused but drilled legend xxl 187's I'm thinking of swapping out for these. I want something more in the 1 ski quiver range and my thinking is the 187 may be a little short for me at 6'2 210. I had the 194 xxl last year but I want something as floaty but easier to ski as a daily driver. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by azzure View Post
    Powtron, what is the running length like on these with the twin? I have some unused but drilled legend xxl 187's I'm thinking of swapping out for these. I want something more in the 1 ski quiver range and my thinking is the 187 may be a little short for me at 6'2 210. I had the 194 xxl last year but I want something as floaty but easier to ski as a daily driver. Thoughts?
    I will get you the running length, but I can assure you that no question it will ski easier then the 194 XXL...that is my opinion, but it is backed up

and for your size, the 185 would work, but with how easy this 195 has been skiing for me, I would go with that size if you like to mach it.

Appreciate the review and especially the comparisons to the 190 Katana, which I own and think could be so much better of a ski is it had a smidge of camber. Sounds like a 185 could be fun for the PNW...Will have to look for a demo once we get some snow.
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 12-02-2008 at 09:45 PM.

A very fine review indeed. Damn good format. Well written, too.

Yer reeeeally making me want to get on a pair of 185s. Wonder if Line will ever do a demo at the Land...?

Anyway, just wanted to give a hard slap on the back for making a good template for reviews.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    A very fine review indeed. Damn good format. Well written, too.

Yer reeeeally making me want to get on a pair of 185s. Wonder if Line will ever do a demo at the Land...?

Anyway, just wanted to give a hard slap on the back for making a good template for reviews.
    No problem...I have been accused of being too in depth, but seeing as I am a gear whore, I figure why not

As far as the 185's, I have never skied those either, so I would be interested in trying them, too for the comparison.

If you want to take the 195 ers out, let me know. You may be surprised in how they handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    There were just there two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    There were just there two weeks ago.
    doh...

oh well, someone has to have them to try in the shorter size.

Caution: a JONG question is about to be posed.

Is +1cm closer to back of the ski?

I'm thinking about a of set 185s with some Dukes, and I want to be sure they float well. I know we're not comparing apples to apples, but are you happy with your mount position?

Had a couple runs on these today. Thing that stuck out most is that they are stiff, prefer going straight, and are very fast. Super stable at high speeds and they don't really come alive until you hit 30+. Thought the mount at +1cm felt a bit more forward than I'm used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Had a couple runs on these today. Thing that stuck out most is that they are stiff, prefer going straight, and are very fast. Super stable at high speeds and they don't really come alive until you hit 30+. Thought the mount at +1cm felt a bit more forward than I'm used to.
    That is just because you suck and cannot drive a ski...

These skis give you back what you put into them. I personally think they turn and come alive quite well as I stated in my review, but as you say, there needs to be speed involved.

This ski CRUSHED the sun-baked crust and mank in China and Siberia Bowls today. I did find myself thinking that in snow of this type (not very good) that a flat camber and slightly more tip rocker would have been ideal, but overall, this ski is still the best all around gunner I have been on in years...actually, ever.

I am keeping my grade at "A" after today, and I am hoping for just slightly more tip rocker next year

Quote Originally Posted by gisforgaper View Post
    Caution: a JONG question is about to be posed.

Is +1cm closer to back of the ski?

I'm thinking about a of set 185s with some Dukes, and I want to be sure they float well. I know we're not comparing apples to apples, but are you happy with your mount position?
    For me, if I had the 185, I would have mounted these on the midsole line. I went +1cm from midsole for versatility on the longer, 195 length. At +1cm my midsole is at -7.7cm from Chord Center if I measured correctly.

Update:

I had a great day at Vail yesterday (SOOO deep) on the Mo-ships...the ONLY thing I can think of to improve on this ski is to give it slightly more tip rocker then it has for the REAL deep, heavy, windblown stuff. In everything else, the ski is perfect.

Also, a testament to the BASE Strength. I hit a HUGE rock (looked more like a picnic table) going about 30 mph. I saw it coming, so I leaned back and tried to ride over it. Needless to say, I smacked it right under the arches with both feet and flipped/flew over it HARD.

My feet are bruised, as is my ego, but I must say......The Bases are IMMMACULATE still, no signs of any impact at all.

They must be made out of diamond or something

In any event, I am still in love with this ski for all around charging, and it STOMPS airs with out giving an inch.

So it's basically the new explosiv?

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    So it's basically the new explosiv?
    Except faster and wider...but yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    That is just because you suck and cannot drive a ski...
    And here's the video proof that PowTron is a much better skier than me:

Sweet vid.

I'll be rockin my 185s in Tahoe this weekend. Thanks for the review.

Any more feedback on these bad boys? Any comparisions to the 194 xxl, in particular for charging lines and crud busting? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by h2d View Post
    Any more feedback on these bad boys? Any comparisions to the 194 xxl, in particular for charging lines and crud busting? Cheers.
    Had a full pow/windblown day on them again today...pretty much the same...they are unstoppable in wide open, they power through anything in their way.

The only time that my legs feel like they are getting worked is when I am trying to really rip them in VERY tight, steep trees and things like that. They are SO fast, they like to run away from you and take off down the fall line if your legs are getting rubbery ( like at 1:30 to 2:00 pm on a pow day ).

These are the most stable skis at high speed in crud, broken pow, and straightline run-outs that I have ever been on, period.

u want to ski tight lines and bomb bowls get the 185. thats what i got, this ski does it all, without hesitation. but dont get a pair because they might help you ski better than me.

skied my 185 ships for the first time today. mounted with small dukes on the line. they are fast, burly, and have bomber bases. i crushed a rock and it didn't even get through the black, die cut text on the base. they crush pillows, piles, and skied up snow. i wish i had mounted them back 1-2 cm though. more rocker and less camber would help. the tips did dive a few times. prob user error though. i'm still psyched.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    skied my 185 ships for the first time today. mounted with small dukes on the line. they are fast, burly, and have bomber bases. i crushed a rock and it didn't even get through the black, die cut text on the base. they crush pillows, piles, and skied up snow. i wish i had mounted them back 1-2 cm though. more rocker and less camber would help. the tips did dive a few times. prob user error though. i'm still psyched.
    Good to hear...and I will say it once again to agree with you, but more tip rocker would make this a quiver of one for me, no doubt.