Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PNW - Whatup?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grateful2ski View Post
    i did...went up to banff for turkey day.

not a lot of snow at lake louise, but not a lot of crowds either...looks like the storms are rolling into that area now-ish

no complaints here tho, serious fun was had even with a lack of snowpack
    Rogers Pass was much better :finge:

Remember we had that big rain even to ~8-9000 feet last year on dec 3-4th where it dropped 5-7" of rain and laid down the big rain crust. A week later it snowed HUGE, like 5' which caused the sad fate of those three snowboarders in Union Creek. It was opening weekend at baker for me, and it was super deep. Word had it that the skiing was a real pain in the ass because it was so deep and the vis was crap. it'll come, but man i'm getting anxious, and irritable.

To every Yang there is a Yin......

And I had already skied a half dozen days, 5 of which were powder days, by today last season. Then the pineapple express showed up. Then it snowed a foot the day before christmas eve. Then It snowed again. And again. And again.

Shit happens. Hopefully we'll get some good days in.
    Last edited by extreeski; 12-01-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Stood upon a mountaintop.
    Walked barefoot in the Snow.

Remember it is the PNW we one good storm cycle and where in business. Not to mention the weather forecast couldn't predict yesterdays weather.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Meh. Better learn to read those forecasts better. Looking at freezing levels well above all lifts through the week.

I've been skiing every week. but even hiking isn't getting me good goods right now. Next weekend, climb Heliotrope or road trip?
    By next week I mean from Sunday on looking further out. freezing levels look like they may be lower with moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwaskier View Post
    By next week I mean from Sunday on looking further out. freezing levels look like they may be lower with moisture.
    I know it's voodoo science that far out...but where are you looking to see the longer range models? (>7 days)

The seven day sucks balls:

http://167.131.0.179/Pages/WOMap.asp...egion=1#ORZ011

Today
    Today, partly sunny in the morning, then cloudy. A chance of rain in the afternoon. Snow level above 8000 feet lowering to 7000 feet in the afternoon. Pass winds southwest 5 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight
    Tonight, rain in the evening, then showers overnight. Snow level 6000 feet lowering to 5000 feet after midnight. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Pass winds southwest 15 to 20 mph.

Tuesday
    Tuesday, mostly cloudy. Showers likely in the morning, then a chance of showers in the afternoon. Snow level 5000 feet rising to 6000 feet in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Pass winds southwest 5 to 15 mph.

Tuesday Night
    Tuesday night, partly cloudy. Free air freezing level 7500 feet. Pass winds south 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday
    Wednesday, mostly cloudy with a slight chance of showers. Snow level 6000 feet. Light wind.

Wednesday Night
    Wednesday night, mostly cloudy. Free air freezing level 7500 feet.

Thursday
    Thursday, mostly cloudy. Free air freezing level 10000 feet.

Thursday Night
    Thursday night, mostly cloudy. Free air freezing level 10000 feet.

Friday
    Friday, mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain. Snow level above 8000 feet.

Friday Night
    Friday night, mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain. Snow level above 8000 feet.

Saturday
    Saturday, cloudy with a chance of rain. Snow level 8000 feet.

Saturday Night
    Saturday night, cloudy with a chance of rain. Snow level 6500 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    I know it's voodoo science that far out...but where are you looking to see the longer range models? (>7 days)
    The Climate Prediction Center (www.cpc.noaa.gov) gives 8-14 day probabilities. This time of year they are weak and unreliable, but here they are:

Living vicariously through myself.

i'm calling the week before christmas for huge dumpage. i have methods of forecasting that are too much for anyone on this board to comprehend.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

???

???

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    i'm calling the week before christmas for huge dumpage. i have methods of forecasting that are too much for anyone on this board to comprehend.
    I hope your right!
    Crystal needs some snow BAD

it just needs to get colder
    then it'll open
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Never fear the snow will get here. The first Pineapple Express that runs into an Alaskan cold front will be game on. It will happen.

They cut the brush on Alpental down for the first time this year so all it would take is a 2' cycle & good touring could be had. It is the snow levels that bother me. It has got to get colder.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Second half of December was great at Alpental.
    Basically a two week storm cycle that lasted from the 19th through the 31st.
    One of the best Decembers in recent history that I can remember.

Keep in mind that our first big dump on the Pass didn't come until the 7/8th of December last year, before that about what we are getting now.
    Christmas morning last year was empty at the Tal with a foot of fresh & sunshine. One of the best days in a great year
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

We will get hammered around the holidays since I will be in VT this year. That is the only prediction that I am making.

We just need to find one virgin in Whistler to sacrifice ...

still looking.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I predict that Zbo will be calling me to skip work and ski powder next week.

Yeah this is getting fucking ridiculous. I've been biting my nails and snapping at people who don't deserve it like I'm a junkie trying to quit.

I just keep reminding myself that last year looked pretty bleak until mid-december. Oh and watching every ski movie I own just so I can imagine it's me skiing that sick AK line.

It will start to snow by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    We just need to find one virgin in Whistler to sacrifice ...
    I nominate you.

2002 started out as a bad year also, I went back to NY for a couple weeks in Dec., as soon as I left we got a ton of snow and I was stuck riding manmade crap. I'm not taking any chances this year and will wait for the snow

Quote Originally Posted by watchyourfeet View Post
    Yeah this is getting fucking ridiculous. I've been biting my nails and snapping at people who don't deserve it like I'm a junkie trying to quit.
    Yup. The next one of my co-workers who tells me how they love this warm weather is getting punched in throat.
    I'm taking myself to a dirty part of town, where all my troubles can't be found...

The snow will come. In the meantime the weather has been awesome for riding bikes. It's all about making lemon aid.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    The snow will come. In the meantime the weather has been awesome for riding bikes. It's all about making lemon aid.
    Maybe we need to do a maggot single track "roll" call?
    Followed by ceremonial beer consumption to get Ullr's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Yup.

The kite boarding hasn't been too shabby either...
    2009 187cm Legend XXL's
    2009 187cm Huge Trouble

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363