Review: 185 Nordica Enforcer

Ski: 06/07 Nordica Enforcer
    Skier: 6'3" 190lb Likes - big turns, deep snow. I would consider my self a stong, athletic skier.

Ive seen a couple bad reviews on these, so I figured I would throw my .2c in. Ive put 150+ days in on these split between 2 seasons, 1 at KHMR and 1 at WB. These were my first real pow boards coming from east. I have them mounted between the AIR and RIDE lines.

Powder - A

At medium speeds they won't float on top of the deepest days. A full speed they will float, but feel short at mach speeds. Overall, they work very well in all types of fresh. From coast snot to interior fluff I have been very happy with them. They turn easy, lean them over and let them go. I have never felt the hookyness that others have. I think they are great in pow, just wish they made a longer version (I am 6'3" though). I like the flex on them, just stiff enough.

Chopped - B+

If you stay on the gas they work well. They have a bit of a soft tip that will bash through the chopped nicely. If you get lazy on them though they will get bounced around. Get on top of them, get forward and hang on.

Groomer - A+

Ive had "groomer" skis that were not as much fun. Enough said. Stay away from ice though.

Bumps

I avoid bumps like the plague as I hate bump. For a 100mm waisted ski they work fine though. They are pretty easy to toss around so that helps.

Overall - A

They are a great ski. They really can go anywhere, on anything. I think they would make a great side-country/touring setup. In one word....Versatile.

How can you give these ski's an A in Powder when they don't float unless you are ripping, and then a B+ when they just blast through any and all types of crud? Yes they bomb, are a ton a fun if you like speed and stability because they are super stiff. But, they are also way too heavy, and would add unecessary weight to be considered a good touring/bc setup. Watch out for the rooster tail spraying your buddies too.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

^^ This man speaks the truth - damn that rooster tail is something to avoid with those...
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

I will give out whatever grades I want...Its my review.

They are not super stiff.

They get the A in powder becuase they are great in powder. If you cant ski a ~100mm waisted ski in powder your doing something wrong.

They get the B+ in the chopped becuase they will get bounced around if you dont stay on them.

I reiterate that I think they would tour fine. I dont find them heavy. The versatility would trump the wieght in my opinion.

On the rooster tail...in all the days I have skied them it has never once affected me. If somebody else has a problem with it they shouldn't be that close. On that note, have you ever clicked your heels together and sprayed a buddy on a cat track? That shit just doesnt get old.

obviously rooster tail isn't the skiers problem, any buddies following behind get to eat a lot of snow/ice.

I've skied these in chop, not pow so I can't comment like BoS can, but I will say that for me that they are very heavy and stiff for a ski that is only 100 in the waist and not using some sort of system binding mount. Also they rip the hardpack and I thought they were fine in the chop, but bumps and ice absolutely sucked. I also found the tails to be hooky with that hudge twin, you can feel them dragging behind you when you lay the ski over. I'm not saying they won't float in powder, but IMO you'd be much better off with something softer like a gotama in that size which I have skied quite a bit...

For these reasons they would be the last skis I would tour on...
    Last edited by Sphinx15; 12-01-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx15 View Post
    I will say that for me that they are very heavy and stiff for a ski that is only 100 in the waist and not using some sort of system binding mount.
    What good 100-waisted ski, other than possibly the new blizzard integrated channels, DOES use a system binding mount?

And seriously, these are nowhere near stiff. They're not soft, but they're maybe a 6 on the scale. They're super damp, yes, but not stiff.

I'm not sure why it's so hot to slander these skis. They're a damn well made ski, pretty versatile, and I know I enjoyed them and everyone I've ever seen on the hill that had them, I've asked how they liked them and the responses have been positive.

My quick review:

Top notch construction, made in Italy, vertical sidewall with two sheets of metal is an interesting combination of dampness and solidity. They're not soft, maybe a medium-stiff flex overall, but it's well combined with the flex pattern to allow a bit of playfulness while still inspiring confidence in chopped up conditions. That's my favorite part about these skis - carving GS turns over 18" of chopped up crud like it was nothing. The flex pattern is a medium/medium-soft tip that gradually stiffens up as you approach the tail. The nose floats over variable conditions, but you don't get any chatter or vibration underfoot, there's a ton of lateral strength and all you feel is damp stability. The few untracked pow turns I've had on them were fun, again the softer tip promotes float.

I'm fine with the sidecut, that's a personal preference thing but I haven't found it to kill the ride. No problems with the tail here, even in crud where the tails are sinking, and while I don't hang out at gapicski I do know how to angulate

That said, I would never throw AT bindings on them, they are heavy...but that's what makes them fun. They're like a friendly steamroller.

Bottom line: Good between-the-pow-days ski, surprisingly powerful for how easy it is to ski.
    If you are driving to Jay Peak this evening, please drive carefully you bad ass.