Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: how to use tech talk effectively

1. it has been discussed almost assuredly before. so just search. its easy. GO HERE: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=01...%3Agoe34wkkkv8 then enter what you need to know. if you find a thread with good info, bump it and keep it fresh. other people are probably wondering the same thing.

2. asking for blanket statements is not good. ask to compare/contrast models. in general, people offering their opinion are not helpful, but people contrasting models attributes are much more helpful.

3. don't tell us your PSIA level. i don't even know what it means.

4. be honest with yourself when looking at equipment. actually don't, it keeps gear swap fresh!

5. a warranty is a manufacturers defect. you wrecking your skis is your fault. a shop botching something is their fault, but it is also your fault for bringing it to a shitty shop.

6. use spell check. most browsers even highlight miss-spelled words for you. use proper diction and standard English language. g-speak is lame in person. its doubly stupid on the interwebz. unless you are skier666. that dude is a cold blooded killer.

ok, bye.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 12-01-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Jondrums, that link is pure gold...
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Jondrums, that link is pure gold...
    FKNA, brother!
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Grab both cheeks and sink your teeth into the ass of life.

I've found ~99% of what I need in tech talk by searching/bumping preexisting threads.

Edit: Deleted and reposted, to move the search link up.

Why does the tgr search option have a minimum character limit? I know the google/site-specific option works, but it took me quite awhile here before I figured that out. In the meantime, no end of frustration trying to search for "lp" and getting nowhere, or "legend pro" and getting the "pro" part left out of the search. Ironically enough, even "BRO" didn't fly. I think that leads to a lot of failed searches and pointless new threads. Why don't they just fix the in-house search?

it is the search engine that in bundled into the forum hosting software. its not a matter of "fixing" it, its a matter of that is what is available.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    its not a matter of "fixing" it, its a matter of that is what is available.
    Oh. Hmm. I see.

Use Google's servers to perform searches instead of TGR's. Must preserve and protect TGR tech talk database.

Now if we could mount a campaign to purge tech talk of all the worthless posts...
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Grab both cheeks and sink your teeth into the ass of life.

Anybody know an easy way to sort google results by how recent they are?

In advanced you can go and just pull results from the past day, week, month, year...but that's a pain in the ass. How do I make it do that from my google search bar?

The only thing giving the internal search any kind of edge over google is that it sorts results by recent...ness.

You can also sort (here) by specific forum, like techtalk or gearswap. Is there a way to do that on google?

Gold... cheers M.O.
    back to silently absorbing knowledge on the forum

See post #9 in this thread (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28985) for an example of good etiquette from a JONG who only joined last month, but knows how to use the search function and properly bump a thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Amen brotha! However, I'm still wondering how that fucker got away with killing your site... What gives?

Last edited by skibumnh; 12-03-2008 at 05:06 PM.

dude, that link is BALLER!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

x2.

Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

which size philipshead do i use to pull out my binders, yo?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I updated the Search URL so its a little easier to get to

http://tinyurl.com/tgrsearch

Also added some refinement options so you can search for Tech Talk, Gear Swap Offers, Trail Reports, etc.
    Last edited by skibumnh; 12-03-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Talking

g-speak is lame in person. its doubly stupid on the interwebz.

^ Glad I'm not the only one that laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by skibumnh View Post

I updated the Search URL so its a little easier to get to

http://tinyurl.com/tgrsearch

Also added some refinement options so you can search for Tech Talk, Gear Swap Offers, Trail Reports, etc.
    Pure unadulterated awesomeness.

Adding a * to short searchs and using the TGR search function is straight OG.

Example: 916*

Play safe kids.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Concerning posting reviews to Tech Talk.

If you have a somewhat lengthy review of a particular piece of gear, is it better to find your favorite review of the same item, say a ski, and add your review, or post an entirely new one?

That is one cool projection clock!

This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling http://www.liangdianup.com/clocks_1.htm some people call
    it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
    they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.