Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you make your own snowboard/ski wax?

Hey everyone,

Let me just start by saying I appreciate any of you who came here to provide advice that this isn't financially worth my time, or to tell me to buy bulk cheap wax... thanks but no thanks.

Just like I work on my car because I feel pride in knowing it works because I made it work, I want to try my hand at making some of my own ski wax. I could care less if it sucks the first few times, I just want to see what I can come up with.

Lay it on me!

I use a simple mix of man juice and candle wax and it seems to do a better job than anything I can pay for

Try some of these and let me know how it works.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

You'll get more ideas at epicski.com than here...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Do you refine your own engine oil?

Why would you make your own wax?

yea thats dumb!

I just use surf wax, it works pretty damn well

Do you want to drill your own oil well and build your own refinery?
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by axelkeitz View Post
    yea thats dumb!
    ^^ That's not dumb, I save a lot of money a year making my own wax. Unknown in the industry, this particular type of wax penetrats the base better and glides faster than any other wax I've used, and FWIW I've been dominating NASTAR races for years with this stuff.

Best removal process:

Last edited by Sphinx15; 11-24-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Skipig25 View Post
    I just use surf wax, it works pretty damn well
    The noboarders secret weapon

I make my own wax out of human fat. I steal it from the medical waste from clinics that do lyposuction. It's really easy to do. You can also make neat stuff like soap and high explosives from it. Wanna fight?

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Do you want to drill your own oil well and build your own refinery?
    If you figure this out. Let me know. I could use the extra millions.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSS View Post
    Hey everyone,

Let me just start by saying I appreciate any of you who came here to provide advice that this isn't financially worth my time, or to tell me to buy bulk cheap wax... thanks but no thanks.

Just like I work on my car because I feel pride in knowing it works because I made it work, I want to try my hand at making some of my own ski wax. I could care less if it sucks the first few times, I just want to see what I can come up with.

Lay it on me!
    I understand what you're saying about the car analogy, but that is sort of like saying I like working on my own car, and I make my own motor oil, and I want to make my own ski wax. Same concept. You already are doing the work on your skis, just like you do on your car...

We can all sit here for days and boil over comparisons but what i was trying to get accross boils down to this:

I want to make my own ski wax. I could care less about being talked out of it. Some one get me going in the right direction with some knowlede please.

Some people have been helpful but some more verbose help would be nice. Step by step, where to get chemicals/supplies, etce tc.

We can all sit here for days and boil over comparisons but what i was trying to get accross boils down to this:

I want to make my own ski wax. I could care less about being talked out of it. Some one get me going in the right direction with some knowlede please.

Some people have been helpful but some more verbose help would be nice. Step by step, where to get chemicals/supplies, etce tc.
    So, you want to mix other wax to make your own? Or you physically want to refine and make the wax yourself? Two fundamentally different questions, with two very different answers. Let me help you: only one is reasonably possible.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

I wasn't just being a smartass; I can't actually tell what you want. Ski wax is mostly paraffin. As far as I know that comes from crude oil.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

OK,...maybe this will help:
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx15 View Post
    ^^ That's not dumb, I save a lot of money a year making my own wax. Unknown in the industry, this particular type of wax penetrats the base better and glides faster than any other wax I've used, and FWIW I've been dominating NASTAR races for years with this stuff.

Best removal process:

For real Lycra success you'll want a Japanese boyfriend.

gray speed overlay

Seriously guys, I know the whole process of making wax straight from scratch isn't feasible. Just like making real spaghetti sauce from scratch requires planting tomatos, refining sugar, finding herbs, building an oven... blah blah blah...

I'm imagining getting the parafin in bulk, finding out what additives to put in that do what, the temperatures and process you deal with for all of that, and so on and so fourth.

I can't imagine any of the companies here in the US actually purchase bulk crude oil and process it. I'm sure they buy bulk processed crude oil, mix with other stuff, and blah blah blah. That's what i'm looking for.

No one accusses those people of just mixing wax, they MAKE SKI WAX.

Has it occurred to you to call Dominator or one of the other companies and have a chat? Just a thought that they'll probably know more and be less snarky than the collective maggotdom.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

if you're gonna make your own wax how about looking into making something eco friendly?

last thing i'd want is a neighbor making more toxic waste just so they can save a few $$ instead of just buying a product that is already readily available (both in toxic and eco-friendly versions).

also you might want to do a Google search on the history of ski wax, learn what the folks of old used to use and start from there.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

A real DIY'er would start with a single Queen Bee...

I'm imagining getting the parafin in bulk, finding out what additives to put in that do what, the temperatures and process you deal with for all of that, and so on and so fourth.
    Paraffin itself is limited.

Doesn't like very cold snow, doesn't like dirty snow, doesn't like hard crystal sharp snow, doesn't like very wet snow.

Some of this can be corrected with additives like stearic acid or paraflint that you can buy from any candle making store, but imagine also microcrystalline wax. Which, in spite of the stupidly persistent "it's just paraffin" myth is actually a large part of commercial mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    if you're gonna make your own wax how about looking into making something eco friendly?

last thing i'd want is a neighbor making more toxic waste just so they can save a few $$ instead of just buying a product that is already readily available (both in toxic and eco-friendly versions).

also you might want to do a Google search on the history of ski wax, learn what the folks of old used to use and start from there.
    Oh, you mean like whale blubber? That's pretty eco-friendly, eh?

A real DIY'er would build his own boat, whittle and forge his own harpoon, flense his own blubber, make meat pie and jerky out of the kreng, (did he forget to dig his own coal for the rendering try pots?), sail the thing back to shore while whittling ski poles from the bones and baskets from the baleen, THEN start waxing.
    Last edited by cantunamunch; 11-25-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
    A real DIY'er would build his own boat, whittle and forge his own harpoon, flense his own blubber, make meat pie and jerky out of the kreng, (did he forget to dig his own coal for the rendering try pots?), sail the thing back to shore while whittling ski poles from the bones and baskets from the baleen, THEN start waxing.
    You forgot the step where you prep the bases with a lavish application of spermaceti. That shit is gold.