Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    You forgot the step where you prep the bases with a lavish application of spermaceti. That shit is gold.
    FKNA

"that's gold jerry, gold!"
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
    Paraffin itself is limited.

Doesn't like very cold snow, doesn't like dirty snow, doesn't like hard crystal sharp snow, doesn't like very wet snow.

Some of this can be corrected with additives like stearic acid or paraflint that you can buy from any candle making store, but imagine also microcrystalline wax. Which, in spite of the stupidly persistent "it's just paraffin" myth is actually a large part of commercial mixes.

Okay this is a bit more of what I am looking for.

Could you be a bit more length in explaining where you find such materials, how you go about adding the additives, and stuff such as that?

Also: I am not doing this to save money. I'm doing it because I want to make my own wax. I doubt I'll make a lot of it either, I'm just going to give it a go and see what happens.

I use straight paraffin for storage and for hot-scraping at times. It's cheap and I get it at the grocery store...the packaging says "household wax" and it's seriously like $1 for a big brick of the stuff.
    you can also get graphite powder (a favorite brand is "mr. zip") at the hardware store, it's sold as "dry lubricant"...
    you can get silicone at an office store, the stuff I have is (I think...) some kind of lubricant for a printer/copier or something, I'd have to go look and I'm not going to do that...you have google.

I can also say this, having used those in various ways, the graphite powder really kicks ass on very, very cold dry snow with sharp crystals...think very cold, newly man-made snow.

The paraffin is not fast ever, it protects the base well and it's good utitlity for hot scrapes but it's glide is really poor.

the silicone...I can't tell a difference between swix warm, swix silicone warm, and swix warm with silicone I've added. I can, however, notice a difference between any of those and warm with graphite when the snow is dirty.

have fun.

One time in high school my buddy and I were mixing some wax before a race. After quite a while in the basement with the wax smoke cloud he actually coughed up something blue. Swix blue. Good times.

and by the way where the fuck is screen name "chemical ali the wax master" when you need him..

bump!!!!!!!!!! wax on!!!!!!!