Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Surface Ski Company ???

Has there been a review of Surface Skis. I tried to search but there are too many threads with ‘surface’ in it.

Here is their site:
    http://www.surfaceskis.com/

Do any maggots have info/opinion on these skis or are there any threads you can link me to.

Ptex1 tells me that they have a ski that is similar in shape to the katana but with a front rocker and a flat stiff tail. Apparently Blizzard is coming out with a similar ski next year.

Its a sweet site, and I hear good things

What is interesting to me is this is pretty much the exact ski (a katana with front rocker and flat tail) that I am interested in adding to my quiver.
    I read a long thread last spring that convinced me of this.

The fact that ptex1 is getting them in an extra bonus for me.

P.S. What band and song is playing on the site? Sounds like the Chili Peppers
    Last edited by mtsprings; 11-18-2008 at 11:40 PM.

when i looked, nirvana.....

Quote Originally Posted by brannen View Post
    when i looked, nirvana.....
    "Plateau" thanks

This... http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116317&highlight=Surface+"live+li fe" ... is a little old but has maybe a bit of interesting info. And this... http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98007&highlight=Surface+"live+lif e" ... was the recent thread i though of but not really a ton of info...kinda digressed into a bunch of crap about noname companies vs the big boys. I'd be interested in seeing that ski...they dont exactly seem like that type of company to me more flippy spinny then big mtn

dang failed at making those links

WTF...did anyone else notice that 4 out of their 5 skis are in the 112 waist department? Actually, EXACTLY 112mm?

2 models at 140/112/132

2 models at 142/112/132

They should just be 112, not Surface Skis.

Should be interesting to see this three stage rocker thingy, though.

live life = tj schneider just limited edition graphics
    live life 2 = jason eichorst limited edition
    difference between the two live lifes = half rocker in tip on live life, three stage rocker on live life two
    ...i think...

If you look on their blog they have pics of the live life tip rocker, and it looks somewhat abrupt, although that could just be a matter of opinion. I have last year's live life 2 (no rocker) and they're definitely fun, well-made skis for park and all-mountain use. I have a review posted on newschoolers (i realize this is a sensitive subject) if you're curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardissono View Post
    I have a review posted on newschoolers (i realize this is a sensitive subject) if you're curious.
    Nice review, Thanks

http://www.newschoolers.com/web/cont...n/read/id/911/

Hope it is not taboo to link to newschoolers

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have heard good things. Lots of fans on Newschoolers. The song on the site is from Nirvana's Unplugged in NYC album, which everyone on earth should own.

SkiBumOfVT Guest
    I heard a rumor going around that they aren't going to be producing skis next year... I hope this isn't true because my buddy picked up a pair and hes loving them and im thinking about them for next year

wanted to bring this thread up. any of you guys have these skis? Pros/cons?

Seems pretty reasonable in price for a second or third set

Just had my first day on a pair of Green Lifes (Watch Life with recycled material). First thought was this ski which is supposed to be one of their stiffer skis (not stiffest), was definitely a super soft tail, more than a hand flex let on to be. I seriously had to check my speed a bunch today as I thought I was losing control at times. Overall not that impressed.

If you're down with the soft tail then it's all good. I'm hoping that the One Life will be stiff enough for me as the shape is very tempting to buy.

I definitely moved the mount point back from the almost dead center recommendation.

I tuned a set... they had the stupidest rocker, it was more like they were kinked at a single point.

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    I tuned a set... they had the stupidest rocker, it was more like they were kinked at a single point.
    I believe Those are the earlier generation, they have a more gradual rocker now.

never rode a pair but they are pretty popular, and affordable here in slc
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Toured on some live lifes for a few months. Pretty fun for this, especially in variable conditions. Took them up to the resort and I found they couldnt go as fast as I was used to. Overall, not bad build and good price point.

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    those kinked LL2's are pretty damn fun

Necro-bump...

Thinking about trying some out - found some stupid cheap deals on the "skinnier ones".

Let's hear what some of you riders have to say.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Necro-bump...

Thinking about trying some out - found some stupid cheap deals on the "skinnier ones".

Let's hear what some of you riders have to say.

I bought a pair of new but old stock watch life a few years ago, so they are probably from 2008. Waist is 87, I think. They are waaayyy soft. Like 1 or 2 out of 10. And totally dead after 20-30 days. construction is very good-no delams or anything, but it's more like a park ski than "all mountain".

I'm not saying you should stay away from the brand, but demo first.

I rode the One Life's for a year (112 waist, crazy 8 degree three stage rocker) in the 189cm

The rocker pattern was way abrupt and looked goofy as hell, but they were really a lot of fun. Turn on a dime, as the effective edge is short as all hell. The 189's were on the stiffer side maybe a 7 out of 10 stiffness wise. medium amount of camber underfoot. really fun for popping off little features here and there

ton of fun in the trees and soft snow, squirrely on hard pack
    Last edited by miahw2828; 01-08-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: double word eliminated
    Corner store junkies giving advice

^^^^^^ same here i have had my one lifes for 2y and i love playing on them. I use them for the days with about 4-6 fresh. They are poppy as hell and very reactive. They will also turn heads with the rocker design. I highly recommend a pair of their skies epically for the price! If anyone in CO ever wants to take mine out for a spin contact me. My bsl is 226. I say grab a pair and enjoy. The watch life look hella fun as well.

J

Sent from my Parrot using TGR mobile technologies.
    That fly seems to like you!

Got some Double Times today - 180cm. Shorter than I'm used to, but seem relatively stiff. I'll be throwing NTN's on them and will be my hometown hill ski. I like the reported turn radius - might make things a bit more sporty! Quicker too?

If they rock, I might kick around grabbing some of the 100-waisted boards too...we'll see. Watch Life's? I'm trying to avoid quiver overlap if I can.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Got some Double Times today - 180cm. Shorter than I'm used to, but seem relatively stiff. I'll be throwing NTN's on them and will be my hometown hill ski. I like the reported turn radius - might make things a bit more sporty! Quicker too?
    I'd be interested in your take on tele turns on a ski with that much camber. Their website says the double time has "nearly double the camber, adding much more pop and stability" relative to their other park skis, I guess.