Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Official '08-'09 Midwest Chatter Thread

C'mon midwesterners! Let's get the party started!

Who's skiing where & when??

NoHills family Turkey day weekend at Caberfae!

Next?
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

We have $12 Caberfae lift tickets Dec 1-18... (sorry, figured this is actually a relevant post for this thread, wasnt going to post Caberfae deals to everybody...)

All Deals Here

The skiing's out west, but it's midwest related..

I used to run the Ski and Snowboard Club at the U of Minnesota, and they always take a few kick ass trips out west every year. I spammed for them before, and I will spam for them again! This year, it's Winter Park January 9th-16th, with a Jackson trip planned for March. $610 for membership, transportation, 5 nights condo lodging, and 4 days of riding, and you don't have to be a student or college-aged to go. The legendary Tommy T is over 50 and ditches his family for a week every year to join in on our debauchery. There are still a bunch of spots left, contact Josh at ski@sscumn.org for more info.

That being said, I'm no longer in the midwest, so I don't know where people are riding. But if you're in Montucky I'll ski with you..
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post

I used to run the Ski and Snowboard Club at the U of Minnesota, and they always take a few kick ass trips out west every year. I spammed for them before, and I will spam for them again! This year, it's Winter Park January 9th-16th, with a Jackson trip planned for March. $610 for membership, transportation, 5 nights condo lodging, and 4 days of riding, and you don't have to be a student or college-aged to go. The legendary Tommy T is over 50 and ditches his family for a week every year to join in on our debauchery. There are still a bunch of spots left, contact Josh at ski@sscumn.org for more info.

That being said, I'm no longer in the midwest, so I don't know where people are riding. But if you're in Montucky I'll ski with you..
    Did you have a red beard and green coat last spring break at jackson? I know we talked a little bit over the mws film festival but just wondering if I remember you? Also I met the captain of the Ski club a month ago. That kid is bomb. Are you headed to jackson again this year?

In reference to the first poster, I kinda need another person or persons for Friday- Sunday of thanksgiving weekend. Anyone close to Lincoln PM me.

Wolf Creek 2 weeks Xmas (family)

Beaver 1 week Feb (free)

Steamboat 1 week March (doods)

I always do one day at this dump: http://www.perfectnorth.com/ to remind me how lucky i am to get west as often as i do, and just how fucked up the MW is. about 1 hour and i wanna gouge my eyes out with razorblades.

/carry on/

None for me this year! Tore my knee apart in August and going under the knife in three weeks. Bike season, I can't wait till you're here! I may not get one more season at Nubs like I was hoping, but at least I'll still get a week or two of Boyne's DH next summer before I leave the Mitten for the last time.

I just pulled my dock last weekend. Too much of a puss to ski though.

I could do a X country trip to Pokagon?

Yup, that was me. As far as I know, MN will be going to Jackson again, because they've gone every year for the past 7. I'm hopefully heading down for at least one week, I won't be able to make it during MN's trip though, I'll probably have to do it the week before.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Nohills, I'll be at Caberfae on Friday the 28th.

Also will be at Cabefae December 15-17.

Swiss Valley Wednesday nights for ARL

More to come when the deals start coming. I got a free day ticket at Bohemia with my Swiss Valley pass. I don't think I can make the 12 hour drive. It also has my pass # printed on it, so it doesn't look transferable. -IF- someone knows a way around it PM me.

Note to self, dont go to Winter Park Jan 9-16th I moved out here from Minnesota over a year ago and now Winter Park is my home Mt. Be sure to enjoy some Mary Jane while you are here!
    I plan on hitting the trees all winter long!

One week to skiing!!! Snow baby, SNOW!!!

See you at Cabby, Nate.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Bohemia; I'm planning to go there towards the end of the season, I have never been there and would like to invite my 13 year old daughter along (Who is an average Intermediate for the age group) but the advertised terrain seems a bit much for her, are there any less than lethal runs that would be appropriate or would it be best that she stayed back for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    Bohemia; I'm planning to go there towards the end of the season, I have never been there and would like to invite my 13 year old daughter along (Who is an average Intermediate for the age group) but the advertised terrain seems a bit much for her, are there any less than lethal runs that would be appropriate or would it be best that she stayed back for this one.
    Bring 'er along, there is all sorts of fun stuff to ski up there...

On another note, can anyone give some status reports on the various crap that has opened over the past week or so? I'm really itiching to get the hell out of Madison and ride something worth the trip, so if anything anywhere in the area is good please let it be known.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'm with you on that one, went to G-Peak on Saturday, not bad...9 runs open...Got small fix...need more!

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Heir View Post
    Bring 'er along, there is all sorts of fun stuff to ski up there...

On another note, can anyone give some status reports on the various crap that has opened over the past week or so? I'm really itiching to get the hell out of Madison and ride something worth the trip, so if anything anywhere in the area is good please let it be known.
    I don't know how far you want to go, but Marquette Mountain is in pretty good shape. Not too many runs open yet, so you won't have a bunch of variety, but 5 runs at MM is still better than a 100% open Granite peak.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

skied the fae sunday
    fun times leadin the 6yo around
    only opened'r up 1run, think it provoked a jones more than satisfied one...

god bless the heartlanders and their gumption to travel long treacherous icy woodland highways to get to short not so treacherous icy bumps, some of the groms in tow out there will surely keep the fire lit for life where ever they end up- maybe out west poaching your lines

mighta skipped school for the kids if they'd a been open monday...
    lake e fect snow machine has been kickin in the mitten
    wow, skiing, cheers!

When will they be in Jackson? I'll be there over St. Pats day and plan to ski Big Sky either on the way out or way back. I have some friends in Bozeman we're stopping to visit with, just depends on our timing when we roll through town.
    Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

I heard Sundown was SICK yesterday.....Is this thread a joke?

Bohemia isn't quite Xtream as it is played off, there are plenty of runs that a competent skier could do.

just to piss off the gnarbros that poopoo on the midwest:

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from 4 am EST Wednesday through
    late Thursday night...

The National Weather Service in Gaylord has issued a Winter Storm
    Watch... which is in effect from 4 am EST Wednesday through late
    Thursday night.

Cab should be good but I'm betting Boyne is $$$ on Friday.

Widespread snowfall will develop across northwest lower Michigan
    Wednesday morning... and will continue into Wednesday evening when
    precipitation will transition to lake effect snow showers within
    developing west to northwest winds. Snow showers will then
    continue into Thursday night.

Total snowfall amounts from Wednesday morning through Friday
    morning will range from one to two feet in some areas within the
    watch area... primarily north of M-72. Areas along the M-55
    corridor will likely see snowfall totals generally from 8 to 12
    inches.

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
    snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
    Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

im from minneapolis, search for my thread minnesnowta sucks
    im movin to tahoe on sunday youse bloody maggots
    livin the dream
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

snow trails throw it up! im grateful i left ohio in 2001. if you have to ski a 400ft hill though check out perfect north

not where the most snow was last night...
    well, just got back from Vail to MI last night, damn... Skied Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues, WOW did I time it well! a touch over 2' during my short time there, knee deep in some of the trees, only prob was IF you slowed down you'd find the bottom through the fresh Regardless we got in some amazing turns for this time of year. will post pics soon.

Leave again on the 21st and back on the 4th. yes...It helps when you have friends who live there, a GF who's parents have a place out there, and the epic pass.

UT Feb 20-mar 1
    and prob another two trips out to CO, and one to Jay Peak around Easter.
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post

Cab should be good but I'm betting Boyne is $$$ on Friday.
    NOAA says 12-19 inches in Boyne Falls by Friday...

Hell. Yes.

Cab's claiming a foot of fresh overnight, with more on the way for this weekend. South Peak will not be turning yet due to snowmaking. North Peak runs were in good shape last weekend, as were the hiking options. NWS says 2"-5" more by tomorrow morning, LES should extend into kalamazoo.

Boyne's looking better yet with a winter storm warning, another foot by morning.

To anyone who makes it up enjoy, I have to work at 4 am Saturday, so I won't be driving farther north than Bittersweet.