Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mammoth/Rose/Boreal this weekend?

I'm headed to Mammoth definitely for Saturday turns.

Sunday is a toss-up between Rose ($20 tickets) or Boreal.

Who's gonna be where and when? (i.e. what Mammy Stalwarts are gonna be in e-f-f-e-c-t?)

- dooks
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Remove Boreal from consideration. Too low and got too much rain the other day. WROD status. Buy those skins you mentioned you don't have, and consider the money you save on the Rose ticket on Sunday as a discount on the skins and a personal trainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm gonna be at Mammoth with ~V~, touring at least one of the days. You should get skins. But holler either way.

yeah, yeah, yeah, i know i need skins.

Saturday is potentially gonna be "ski testing" day with Vets to determine the best mounting point on those Lib Techs of mine (the ones i currently have mounted AT are way, way, way too far forward).

after we suss that out i may very well swap the AT binders over to another pair of skis. so after this weekend i'll know what size skins to snag and finally get off my duff.

better late than never.

see whomever i see on Saturday (i'll be rockin' the lime green pants).

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    I'm gonna be at Mammoth with ~V~, touring at least one of the days. You should get skins. But holler either way.
    Looking forward to seeing what you find for touring. I'm hoping coverage stays good through next weekend to get out in Rock Creek for a couple of nights.

Mrs. Dallas and I should be rocking the Mam as well, probably acting shiftless around the Mill and possibly attending the little avy/backcountry clinic at Main Lodge on Saturday afternoon (it's in the conference center, wherever that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Mrs. Dallas and I should be rocking the Mam as well, probably acting shiftless around the Mill and possibly attending the little avy/backcountry clinic at Main Lodge on Saturday afternoon (it's in the conference center, wherever that is).
    Conference center = old gondola room.

I will look for the lime green pants and magnatraction steeze........

PSA:
    they are showing Under the Influence for free tomorrow night @ 6 in the Village Courtyard.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    yeah, yeah, yeah, i know i need skins.
    and here I thought you had magnatraction

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Packing car now for 3:30am departure time to Mammoth. Hopefully run into y'all.

Wish I could afford not having to wait till the 24th or so. Still hoping it will even be worth it at that point.
    Have a good time though, let us know.

mammy was worth the trek.

got on the slope around 9:45 and skied solo for the first part of the morning until i bumped into ChrisformerlyTwins at Gondy2. we shared some turns until we bumped into Larry01 and his homie RacerX (aka Chris), BigKuba, and V. Then ran into Steve Dallas and the missus. Had a large crew at lunch and my home made ginger/goji cookies and V's Mammoth Mochas were a hit. Apres lunch bumped into Big Tim, the missus and his brother and rode the white with them until 3:15. passed up the offer to crash on their couch to trek back to Reno and eat dinner with Corky only to learn that Rose was only running their beginner chair. Scrapped Sunday plans to ride Rose and trekked back to Truckee. Got up this morning and was in the Boreal parking lot by 8:30 only to discover that their WROD was only about a 1/4 WROD. Walked up to the snow line and made the call that one intermediate run with kickers built in the middle was not worth $40. the fact that there were only two other skiers in the parking lot added to my decision (as well as the neon green boarder posse parked next to me in mommy's SUV bumpin' Lil Wayne). Drove back to the Yay, stopping in El Cerrito to snap pix of the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee HQ, show off my Magnetraction to the folks at Cali Ski in Berk, and eventually end up at Naan & Curry and watching reality TV in the Sunset.

As for condis at Mammy? Kinda like Spring, but colder. Climax had the best snow, Solitude the hardest (aka Solid-Tude), and Scott's the mankiest (Sierra Cement mixed with refrozen taters and breakable crust as well as mutated sun cups).

It was fun hooking up with you Saturday.Thanks again for all the great eats.Didn`t try ~V~`s Mammoth Mocha this trip.Next time for sure............

Somewhere between Boulder and Low Earth Orbit
    Echo of sentiments seeing everyone this weekend. Love that for as big as Mammoth is it's kinda like the Cheers song "where everyone knows your (board)name". And FYI, touring conditions were TIGHT sunday (minus almost unintentionally hucking off more than a couple cliffs). I'm sure Kuba with his phototastic skillz will have a thing or two to add to that.... (cue TR )

Next trip up - Turkey Weekend. Storm's supposed to roll in that week, and there's talk of doin' dinner up fancy style. You know we're more fun that your creepy aunt Sally anyways.

Nice running into everyone. Another two feet and Mammoth sould be dialed in. Good base to start. A little bummed I missed last weeks freshies but it was good to get out and start the season. My next trip will probably be in early December Wife and three kids seem to get in the way sometimes. In the mean time I will pray for more snow.

Bummed I missed everyone, although more bummed I missed last Sunday / Monday. Still trying to be patient with my non-functioning quad. Do you really need a quad muscle to ski???

Hmm, I guess prolly a good idea. Hopefully in Dec?
    He who has the most fun wins!

the "dilemma" i am faced with this week is:

back to Mammy this weekend to feed the jones

or

Heavenly and their WROD potential clusterf@#k (I do have a pass and it's 3.5 hours closer...)

^^^I'd vote the Heave; save on gas and lift.

I did the WROD at the Heave a few years back, and Orion is actually long enough to get those legs working. It is no Mammoth right now, but a lot closer.

And if they have anything like the coverage at the top of KW, just put on some rock skis and hit the gnar. Although I'd expect it to be a bit bonier.

Definitely go Heavenly. Hopefully it's cold enough in the next couple of nights for them to fire up the guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

playing it by ear...though i could always do the Schralphmachio approved bootpack at the KW...

I'll be at Heavenly Friday if they open. Otherwise I'll look at Boreal or Rose. Staying there all weekend, until Sunday or Monday.

given the dismal state of affairs in T'hoe, I may be inclined to head down Mammy way for either Friday or Saturday...what's the skilly from those who are regulars (i.e. who is gonna be in e-f-f-e-c-t)?

I plan on heading up to mammoth for Friday-Sat (maybe Thursday) should be freshies

Dook - if you head to KW shoot me a PM. I should be there Thurs-Sun.

If things do not pan out, we may also day trip to Mammy on Friday. Local folks- how crowded is it gonna be down there? Will it be a complete cluster or may it be worth the drive from Tahoe?