Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bob Jacklin's Fish of a Lifetime

Beautiful.

I remember catching a 9 lb trout with a caddis emerger.

I hooked a bow that big once... Nuts hooking fish that big.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

That's awesome. I wish they would've shown a close up.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Yeah, it just kinda ended.

Big fish though. I did catch one almost that big on the Green in a drift boat (rainbow) a few years ago.

Awesome looking water though, huh?

if that was me it'd be a 10 lb whitefish

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that! I'd be willing to bet a 10lb whitefish would put up one hell of a fight.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    One for the wall = dead fish= fuckin lame
    Could have been another fishermans fish of a lifetime.
    That info's based on a thread over at the Drake and we all know fisheman never lie so take it for what it's worth.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    One for the wall = dead fish= fuckin lame
    Could have been another fishermans fish of a lifetime.
    With the artistic detail in modern fiberglass mounts It's a shame to kill a fish like that for the wall. Take measurements and photos for the artist to work from, handling the fish carefully, and there is a good chance the fish would survive. The fiberglass mount would look better and last longer than a skin mount anyway.

If it would have been a native, you could also make a case for keeping it's genes in the pool. No pun intended.
    Last edited by Grizz; 11-15-2008 at 05:24 PM.

I thought the same thing SFB. Hopefully he took measurements and had a fiber form done. What a hog. With my luck fish would have came unbuttoned right when trying to net it. I wish they would of taken a close up shot of it.

I was just talking to a buddy about this fish. He passed along that he heard Jacklin apparently got so much shit for having this fish on his wall at his shop in West Yellowstone (rumor has it people came from all over just to heckle him about taking the fish), he finally took it down.

Despite that incident, Bob is a pretty good fella. One of those guys that you could have a fishing conversation with everyday for the rest of your life and not get bored. In fact, it would be enlightening.

tronacate Guest
    Norm Strung was of the opinion that catch and release could be construed to be a strange perversion of fishing. We often discussed hooking a fish in what it perceives as a life or death struggle and then gleefully releasing the tortured beast. I suspect a line connected to a radio controlled submarine or the bumper of momma's suv could give a similar if not more exhilarating feeling. Instead, flyfishing has turned into this high-tech assault on, well, a fish. Carbon fibre, fluorocarbon, gore-tex, and what all. It borders on lunacy.
    Last edited by tronacate; 11-15-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    I prefer to think of them as fresh water bonefish.

(I seem to catch a lot of whitefish...)

tronacate Guest
    Good comparison. But I would rate a 10lb plus carp superior to either trout or whitefish and the numero uno freshwater bonefish. An added plus is nobody raises a ruckus when you knock them in the head and feed the wildlife.

I would love to tangle with a beast like this.

tronacate Guest
    My suggestion for true catch and release snobs who abuse the Bob Jacklins of this world:

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/produc...trol~3573.html

I'm still looking for a really big brown, but caught and released this 11lb rainbow on the Williamson. got him on a streamer.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'm not sure who the catch and release snobs you are refering to
    I hookem and cook em on occasion, mostly out of lakes. As for abusing Bob I just posted that I thought killing that fish was fuckin lame. Is that really abusive?
    You manage to hook and land a fish like that and have the bonus of having it on video. Why kill it? As Grizz pointed out a fiberglass mount is gonna look better last longer. Shit your Bob Jacklin the artist would probably do it for free
    as I'm fairly sure the taxidermist did. Funny Bob didn't put that fish on the wall at home initially wonder why?
    Schwerty I'm sure your right I myself would have been able to have just one conversation with Gary LaFontaine.
    As for your other strong 3 posts I use a tin can, kite string, and a safety pin
    baited with corn for my trouting and a 130lb Landseer Newfoundland instead of some silly remote control fish when I really want to feel the tug.
    You sound like one of those Drake guys. If so go into the kitchen pour a scotch and make us a pie Biatch.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Lake of the Dunes
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

tronacate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I'm not sure who the catch and release snobs you are refering to
    As for your other strong 3 posts I use a tin can, kite string, and a safety pin
    baited with corn for my trouting and a 130lb Landseer Newfoundland instead of some silly remote control fish when I really want to feel the tug.
    You sound like one of those Drake guys. If so go into the kitchen pour a scotch and make us a pie Biatch.
    The snobs that travelled to his shop specifically to abuse the guy.
    Spectra kite line is awesome saltwater backing.
    Corn works good at times
    I have no idea what a "Drake guy" is. Is that some kind of gay orvis approved code word?

As for a brown worth mounting:

http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/nature/trout.html

tronacate Guest
    here's a robotic candidate:

^ Did you join TGR just to back up your buddy?
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

tronacate Guest
    ^yes

Is this a place for big mountains and small fish?
    I thought you all would be more receptive to radical concepts and more tributarial thinking rather than mainstream orviswellian catch and release herd mentality.

Show me some big marlin or giant squid caught on a handline out of a kayak or some crazy shit like that.
    Slapping 5 weights at 14 inch bait with a strike bobber hardly ranks as the ultimate action sports experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tronacate View Post
    I thought you all would be more receptive to radical concepts and more tributarial thinking rather than mainstream orviswellian catch and release herd mentality.
    Regardless of where one stands in the catch and release debate, you have to admit that it sucks that there is one less pig in that river.

As Skifishbum very appropriately put it in my opinion, that fish could have been another fisherman's catch of a lifetime.

And although I disagree with you, very clever coinage of what is definitely a new term to me: Orviswellian.

tronacate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by igBand View Post
    Regardless of where one stands in the catch and release debate, you have to admit that it sucks that there is one less pig in that river.

As Skifishbum very appropriately put it in my opinion, that fish could have been another fisherman's catch of a lifetime.

And although I disagree with you, very clever coinage of what is definitely a new term to me: Orviswellian.
    I certainly appreciate catch and release philosophy and do engage in hypocritical fish torture for pleasure on a regular basis. I much prefer seeing a pig swim away than cutting one up.
    I also test equipment on my dogs too. Great fun.
    However, there are very valid arguments against it, and I respect those also.
    Life is such a grey drake.