Crans-Montana wants to grow up.

I just read today in the local newspaper, Le Nouvellist, that the ski areas and the local towns are discussing building a lift from the center of Crans down to the Rhone valley floor near Sierre. It would then continue across the Valley and go up to the ski area of Vercorin. Then continue on to a town,Vissoie where the road splits to go to Grimentz and Zinal.

It's in just the planning stage now. The planning will take a year to get through, before we will know if it happens. But still what a great plan it is...

Crans-Montana are bidding to be the hosts for the FIS World Championships in 2014.

The plan would connect four ski areas, and reduce car traffic up and down the mountains. A problem here in sunny Crans.

Apparently, Anzere which is another area west of Crans also wants to get involved. If that would happen you would have five ski areas all connected. "Le Espace Vallias" is what I would call it, after all this is a French speaking area, and I don't think they will call it, Le Espace Wolter.

I like big plans that involve ski lifts.

My parents almost bought a chalet in Anzere when we lived in Munich. That plan fell through when we moved to the states in '77. Ah well...

Interesting - Last winter I read that Zinal / Grimentz and (i think also) St Luc had aspirations to link up.
    But add in Crans Montana (which will almost certainly be linked to Anzere sometime soon) and all of a sudden you have just another another euro mega resort.

And your also in danger of turning the Rhone valley into the new Taranteise....

Please god no!!!!!!!

I heard that Zinal and Grimentz will hook up in the next two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    Interesting - Last winter I read that Zinal / Grimentz and (i think also) St Luc had aspirations to link up.
    But add in Crans Montana (which will almost certainly be linked to Anzere sometime soon) and all of a sudden you have just another another euro mega resort.

And your also in danger of turning the Rhone valley into the new Taranteise....
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Sounds like pie in the sky stuff.

These lifts are usually a pain in the ass. They haven't made Brides les Bains or Bourg St Maurice destination resorts. They save a bit of driving up the hill but that's about it. It takes so long to cross from Les Arcs to La Plagne on that Jumbo lift that it's probably quicker to drive anyway.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Please god no!!!!!!!

There's already free bus service between the base areas. Bummer if it screws up the back side descents from Zinal.

Given how much a pain in the ass the Grimentz road is I could see why, but it'd really fuck the place up.

Every 2nd and 3rd tier ski area/resort in Switzerland talks about linking up with other areas into a super resort.

Then, they never do.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    It takes so long to cross from Les Arcs to La Plagne on that Jumbo lift that it's probably quicker to drive anyway.
    Prolly only for Ueberdrivers like you or Brownmonkey.

I agree with Schnappi though, lots of talk to drive the real estate pricing up.

Hopefully I really like Valley A the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    DOWN SKIS

Please god no!!!!!!!

its already underway, no?

lift linking across the valais is a horrible idea. we dont need no stinking pisten carvers in zinal queueing up the lifts. although if it encourages anyone to leave zinal for CM, then by all means do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    we dont need no stinking pisten carvers in zinal queueing up the lifts
    Hey pisten carving has always been my wet dream so it's all good.

europe for living, jackson hole and la grave for fun, valdez for pleasure
    Two chances for connecting the South and North facing Rhone valley mountains: Slim and none. No money (CMA went bankrupt already once and the communities that bailed CMA out, won't put up one extra dime/centime) and the green political party won't allow it. Even hooking up with Anzere is a remote possibility.
    I lived there for a while and every now and then these fantasies arise. What will happen is that Crans Montana will have an 8 week (January/February) season within the next 10 years, it is South facing and already way to warm.
    Sorry for the bad news...........

Wrong! CM will have a long season with endless southfacing pow and great pisten carving.

Quote Originally Posted by jackass View Post
    Two chances for connecting the South and North facing Rhone valley mountains: Slim and none. No money (CMA went bankrupt already once and the communities that bailed CMA out, won't put up one extra dime/centime) and the green political party won't allow it. Even hooking up with Anzere is a remote possibility.
    I lived there for a while and every now and then these fantasies arise. What will happen is that Crans Montana will have an 8 week (January/February) season within the next 10 years, it is South facing and already way to warm.
    Sorry for the bad news...........
    DOWN SKIS

that might be true if it weren't for switzerland. the talking is part of the planing process. in the end the communities will vote on the issue yes or no. there is no way to get around talking an convincing people of your stance on the subject. whenever you plan something be ready for years of talking.

Hey pisten carving has always been my wet dream so it's all good.
    are you looking for a kick in the nuts?

quit dreaming and start carven!

Wrong! CM will have a long season with endless southfacing pow and great pisten carving.
    just my bad luck I missed out on the endless pow during the last 2000 or more days I've been skiing there..........
    apart from the shaded areas like the top part of the faverges and some gladed skiing, most of the pow (southfacing !) gets crusted pretty fast.
    crans is a nice place to be, but cannot be considered a powderhound's destination.

just my bad luck I missed out on the endless pow during the last 2000 or more days I've been skiing there..........
    apart from the shaded areas like the top part of the faverges and some gladed skiing, most of the pow (southfacing !) gets crusted pretty fast.
    crans is a nice place to be, but cannot be considered a powderhound's destination.
    he forgot the winky.

jackass, you need to read this.

Wrong! All the pow blows from Valley A to CM.... just mank over the road. CM is where it's at!

DOWN SKIS

They must have some backers... You don't spend the money to try and get the World Championships if you have no money?? And yes it sucks in Crans up high in January, go to Verbier, and Zinal, please...

Whistler did not have any money for their 40 million dollar lift across the valley, the year they proposed it and then starting building it at the end of the same season, I was there. So, guess what, when you have a lot or beds to fill (Crans has around 40,000 beds) you would be surprised how easy it is to find that money.

The ski lift operations going bankrupt is a different story. Companies go bankrupt all the time, then turn around and have money (new people involved from the bankruptcy). It is not the end for a company it is a reorganization and a new beginning.

are you looking for a kick in the nuts?
    Just so you know TeleAl is the only one I let kick me in the nuts.

I did that to him so often in the past so he owes me.

Just so you know TeleAl is the only one I let kick me in the nuts.

I did that to him so often in the past so he owes me.
    thats what i was referring to. i'll send him over straightaway.

he forgot the winky.

jackass, you need to read this.
    thanks. another must read is this.