Whats size of Skins?

Hello Guys,

A newbie question regarding skins. Is it possible to use smaller sized skins on bigger skis. E.g 80mm wide skins on a 110 mm wide ski?

And if possible is it wise?

Would it be wise to mount Naxo nx21 on Hellbents or would it be wiser to mount dukes on them?

it is ok to use skinnier skins, you won't have the grip of wall to wall fabric, but it can work. You will probably want the wall to walls the first trip you go on and are sliding backward b/c all the slick base still showing

dukes have a wider base, which may be nice on the hellbents. if you are mostly going to do slackcountry dukes would be awesome, if you plan on hiking farther I'd suggest something else

Another good popcorn thread. Searching woulda been a better route.

Why wouldn't it be possible to use skins cut for a narrower ski on a wider ski? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you're gonna slip'n'slide on a skin highway, (among other downfalls). If you're breaking trail in flat or moderate terrain you shouldn't too much trouble. But, 80mm - 110mm??? That's pushing it. You're obviously not looking to enter a rando race so buy some new skins.

Oh, the Naxo VS. Duke thing....c'mon. That's been discussed only about 1,000 times here. Find the threads both and you'll be able to make a decision. SOunds to me like you're a Duke candidate...

Search function JONG!

You won't get as good traction on the ups but you'll get lots of glide on the rolling flats. The new method is to take your skinny skin and cut em in half down the center leaving the tip uncut. Then place them onto your skis making sure to place the skins close to the edge so that the gap is right down the middle.

Colltex is actually selling skins that are like that

http://www.colltex.ch/

the combination of the uber-rockered hellbents with skinny skins will likely prove frustrating anytime you're not breaking trail.

Learn how to search you fucking idiot or you wont last long here....

Quote Originally Posted by Fuorilegge View Post
    Learn how to search you fucking idiot or you wont last long here....
    Says the guy who has been on the boards a month.

Sept-Oct=1 month
    Oct-Nov=1 month

In case you failed basic math in grade school, 1+1=2...you fucking jackass.

And, might I add, I knew how to search, and don't see how my tenure on the boards has a fucking thing to do with this guy not searching. My two months have posts have yielded more than your several years, so, !

So, weak argument...YOU FAIL FUCKER!

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    Says the guy who has been on the boards a month.

Holy shit two months

can I touch you?

You want your skins to be as close to the edges of the ski as possible while leaving the the metal edges uncovered so that if you are traversing, the edges can get a grip to prevent you from sliding down and the skins can still get a grip to prevent you from sliding back. If you were going to go with a narrower skin, on a 110 mm waisted ski, a 100 mm would be about as narrow as you would want to go, or as mentioned above, split the 80 mm skins and mount the two halves closer to the edges leaving a gap in the middle, but that I think would be much more hassle than it is worth in your case. The best way to go is to cut wide skins to the ski size for maximum coverage.

Only if you arent from the church of LDS....

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Holy shit two months

can I touch you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    The best way to go is to cut wide skins to the ski size for maximum coverage.
    +1 -- Wall-to-wall skins are best for skinning anything that's steep enough to be worth skiing downhill. Too skinny a skin, i.e., one that leaves anything more than the metal edge exposed, can make for difficult travel on a firm traverse. (BTW, skinnier mohair skins work okay for low angle stuff such as logging roads, flattish approaches and rolling meadow skipping).