View Poll Results: What kind of jersey should design?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Design roadie jersey only

5 9.80%
  • Design FR jersey / tech tee only

26 50.98%
  • Try to design for both

20 39.22%

09 Jersey: Have your say

I will step up and get the jersey design process started unless someone else would like to.

The poll I held earlier showed a split of about 50/50 between roadie jerseys and other styles, with more people who want roadie jerseys are more firmly committed to buying one. On the flip side, styles other than roadie jerseys would likely be of interest to people in the main forum, which means a lower per-unit cost. We need a minimum order of about 25 units for a single style (e.g. we need 25 orders for roadie jerseys to be able to offer roadie jerseys).

Therefore, making this jersey happen depends on creating a product that at least 25 of us will order. That brings some challenges, the biggest one being that the design language (style, colors, layout, etc) for roadie jerseys is very different than of FR/DH style jerseys or tech-tees. It's difficult to create a design that works well for both, which means it's harder to create a product that people want to order with a single design.

We have three options:
    • Create a roadie jersey only
    • Create a FR jersey and/or tech tee only
    • Try to create a design that works for both

What's your vote?

Also, are there any skilled and experienced designers who might be interested in participating? I will put together a structured process that will allow everyone to vote on the designs, but it will only work if we have diverse ideas and strong design skills to get the process started and to get everyone engaged.

Addendum: we can also take the approach of designing and selecting a basic element (logo, motif, etc) and then creating separate designs for each type of jersey based around that element. If you like that approach, vote for the third option.
    Last edited by DerJaeger; 11-07-2008 at 02:09 PM.

sweet, I don't have time to design but thanks for setting this up. i would possibly get a roadie jersey if that wins out but would much rather have a tech tee for mtn biking in.

You can do one design and have it fitted to any style jersey if you use Champion Systems they have really low min's and no set-up/art work fees.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_B View Post
    You can do one design and have it fitted to any style jersey if you use Champion Systems they have really low min's and no set-up/art work fees.
    Indeed, you can use a single design with most suppliers. The issue is that the fundamental design that looks good for a roadie jersey is typically quite different to one that works well for other types of jerseys. So we need to decide what we want to focus on.

Thanks heaps for stepping up DerJ - - as I said in the other thread, my location makes it harder for me logistically to see this process all the way through.

I've voted try for both - one of the reasons I bumped the idea was that doing it now gives us more lead in time so we can argue about the various bits and pieces some more. However, I agree that too much arguing is just a waste of time.

Of note is that I am happy for a tech tee deal if it means we go one design, onestyle and get a good price due to having bulk. others so far seem to prefer this option, and i would agree that they make for the most versatile piece of the many options out there.

I have a couple of ideas of what I'd like to see on the design, but I don't have photochop/illustrator at present, but I'll speak to my buddy who is a graphic designer by trade and get him to put the designs together for me - then they should look a bit better if he does them anyhow!!

Anyway, first lets get a consensus on what is wanted.

let's vote peeps! feedback is needed from us all.
    Last edited by jonski; 11-08-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: clarity, props to DerJaeger for offering his time
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

I voted for both because I think it would be nice to have something that all genres would wear. However, if we can only go with one or the other, I'll go with FR/tech tee. And I'm in for a couple.

Only 21 votes so far? I guess you slackers were all out riding this weekend like I was (the only thing I'm going to miss about EC riding: the fall colors)

Jonski: If you can persuade your graphic designer buddy to help, that would be awesome. I will lay out the process in more details when we get that stage kicked off after the poll ends, but for the first round of designs, just basic sketches and ideas will do. For all designs, I suggest doing them in greyscale/black/white only at this point so that we can focus on the design first and foremost (color comes later once the design ideas start to get fleshed out).

is there a mailing list for this? dont check sprocket rockets everyday and id hate to miss out on this...

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    While I'm only interested in a FR jersey, I'm all about equal opportunity.

i'll be interested in a new jersey, but want to see a decent design. The first year was tits with the blue and brown mtns. One of my favorite jersies due to its uniqueness. The others i am not a fan of with solid colors and maggot cartoon thing
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    i'll be interested in a new jersey, but want to see a decent design. The first year was tits with the blue and brown mtns. One of my favorite jersies due to its uniqueness. The others i am not a fan of with solid colors and maggot cartoon thing
    Yep, totally agree. I am still bummed that I didn't pick up one of those jerseys.

I am going to make sure the design process produces something that's every bit as desirable, if not more so. Stay tuned.

I voted for both but I'll definitely commit to one road.

Freeride all the way.

We got a ton of threads going, but I'll work on some design options. This should be fun... well until everybody with no experience starts art directing.