Monster of the not so Deep.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446686,00.html

Oh yeah, that's a big one.

Wildlife officials in northern California last week came across one of the biggest Chinook salmon ever found in the state — a monster more than 4 feet long and weighing 85 pounds.

"We see lots of big ones," Doug Killam, a biologist in the California Department of Fish and Game's Red Bluff office, told the Redding Record Searchlight, "but this one was just bigger than most big ones — it was just spectacular."

The big fish had recently spawned and died, Killam said, and probably weighed about 90 pounds when it began its 100-mile swim upstream from the Pacific to the spot where it died on Battle Creek, a tributary of the Sacramento River near the town of Anderson.

The California sport-fishing record for a Chinook salmon is 88 pounds. In Alaska, where they're called king salmon, they get even bigger — the record sport catch is 97 pounds, while the largest commercial catch was a truly phenomenal 126 pounds.

"If someone would have caught this one, it probably would have been a state record," Killam told the Record Searchlight.

Ironically, the sad state of salmon spawning in the Pacific Northwest probably helped this one live a full life. Ocean commercial catches were canceled this year, and the river sport season on the Sacramento drastically shortened.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

holy crap, man.

No way. That beast is unreal.

Can you imagine how a bear would feel finding that one?

Fat and happy!

A bear...!?? What about some chump with a 9wt...
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

PFFFT. I could land that fucker with my 5wt.

assuming that I foul hooked him and he was already dead.

As a kid I remember seeing a fish like that while fishing with my Grandfather. It scared me so much I still have trouble going in the deep end of the pool by myself.
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Heh, I remember water skiing and kneeboarding when I was a kid when we lived in Nigeria. After water skiing, we went fishing and my friend's dad caught a 6 foot barracuda in the same place we were water skiing. I did not water ski after that. I still get the heebee-geebee's water skiing even in a fresh water lake, when I am sitting out in the middle waiting for a pick up.

Pussy

Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care