Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Return to Plattekill 11/1/08

So I cannot get enough of this place plus they got the most snow by far from the previous weeks storm. Bucket, Aaron, and Myself all met at Plattekill again this past Saturday for one of the fluffiest corn/mashed potatos harvests I have been on. After 3 laps the owner Laszlo comes out and offers to run the double( which accesses the best terrain) for free. WTF? this guy just kicks ass and he gets it more than most ski mountain owners do. So we got the first lift served skiing in the east(outside of sunday river, maine I believe).

If you get a chance get to Plattekill, you will enjoy it.

Myself taking the first lift served of the season

Fresh taters

Myself coming in

Aaron coming in

View of the Double served skiing from the lot care of Bucket

father and son that were hiking with stoked for the lift

Shot from the lift, gratuitous yes I got my Praxis finally after 2 months pic,
    thanks GH

Aaron sweating it out

Bucket on the noicely trimmed skin track

Myself, yeah I know it is embarassing but only thing that was huckable that was not melted off already

So here is one from last year at plattekill, a little more gnar, I think

Bucket rippin it!

Aaron

The owner: Lazslo

Aaron again trying to take some corn home for thanksgiving

Bucket

Myself again

It was melting fast. We need this season to get going already. That is the problem with early season on the EC, fucking pump fake, you think it is finally upon us and then we get the rug pulled. Hopefully this 30+ inch dump is a prelude...
    Last edited by thin cover; 11-03-2008 at 05:01 PM.

the second picture, "fresh taters", looks like heaven, steep and narrow, thanks...

Most fun Ive ever had in November. And Plattekill has earned my business for a long time by turning on that double.

Laszlo ->

Cross post from the EC roll call thread

Last edited by _Aaron_; 11-03-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Sweetness. Once again wish I was there.

Can't wait to get me some Plattekill this season.

plattekill is my jam in the catskills, but i'm also hoping to hit hunter again on a deep day. i heard there are some stashes there that rival anything on the EC. I haven't found them yet, but hopefully i can cash in on a midweek and empty day.

The snow rocks but doesn't Plattekill have DH mountain bike races scheduled through mid November? I remember racing there in college in the middle of November and it snowed a couple of inches.

How fucking cool is that. wow.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    The snow rocks but doesn't Plattekill have DH mountain bike races scheduled through mid November? I remember racing there in college in the middle of November and it snowed a couple of inches.
    they put the biking on hold this past weekend, and they/'re scheduled to resume for final bike w/e this sat+sun...

^^^ yeah there was one guy with his DH bike and snow chompers on but he ended up skiing.

If you are going to wear that patch from your avatar to Magic you better watch your back around Magic Mags, you might just find it missing...

Nice.
    Nice vid Aaron.
    What's buckethead doing in that pic? (the scarecrow one)
    ..and ya know i'm dying to make a praxis joke but am holding, holding , holding....

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    ^^^ yeah there was one guy with his DH bike and snow chompers on but he ended up skiing.

If you are going to wear that patch from your avatar to Magic you better watch your back around Magic Mags, you might just find it missing...
    You let the cat out of the bag TC. I’ve been formulating a secret plan to somehow get that patch from VTsession.

Nice TR, looks like a place I’d enjoy. Laslo

So we got the first lift served skiing in the east(outside of sunday river, maine I believe).
    Actually a spot in North Carolina beat you on this one. Cataloochee opened last Tuesday. Way to get after it though.

^^ yea, though i heard that was just a bunny slope.
    not the very, very first...but the surprise factor of getting a couple of free rides after skinning up earns special distinction

yes, lazslo

plattekill has definitely earned a place in my heart alongside magic and MRG...very similar 'shangri la' sort of vibe - the place is secluded and timeless and steep.

SICK!!!!!!

that mtn owner gets it, pretty unbelievable really!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

glad you guys got back out there for the corn harvest, looks like a damn good time. yet another solid TR, TC. you seem to be getting the hang it. must be the yellow pants? hey, whatever works.

also, nice to see that 20ft huck shot from last season. what you failed to mention is that there is about a foot of fresh with no base whatsoever. now that's gnar. bring the snow.

that some good shit, only in the east coast, the owners come out to run the lifts for you, i love that.

I dig...I dig...

Myself, yeah I know it is embarassing but only thing that was huckable that was not melted off already

Nothing to be embarressed about, The Rock Jump was sweet when I was 7.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    SICK!!!!!!

that mtn owner gets it, pretty unbelievable really!
    Yes, I have known Lazlo since I was a kid skiing there in the 80s and he was a Ski Instructor. If there is one thing Lazlo has always liked too do, its have a good time skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post

What's buckethead doing in that pic? (the scarecrow one)
    that's no doubt my "crap! my body's still sore from weds and i'm skinning again" quick breather steeze.

^^^^^ yeah you mean like this 8 year old below at pkill last year? guess I am a real loser now. Lazslo again

TC pics olook great and the time you guys must have ahd ..welll PRICELES specially when the owner runs a lift for you guys. Your rock jump off the little rock is more air then i have had this season on snow..rock on bro.....WE NEED SNOW .... MORE SNOW......again thanks for the TR ......Hope i can make the next one now that dirt bikes are going away soon for the winter, but not just yet....one more enduro to run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always feel like I moved away at the wrong time, this time of year.

edit: all is not lost
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 11-04-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Way to go Laslo.....

I'd be hating you guys more if it wasn't dumping in the Wahsatch.....

Last weekend of bikes at Platty

Last edited by Blizzard; 11-04-2008 at 05:11 PM.

^^^^ this the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead
    that's no doubt my "crap! my body's still sore from weds and i'm skinning again" quick breather steeze.
    way to get after it, mikey