Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can I wash smelly boot liners?

Questions for all you Frankenboot fitters.

I want to put the liners from my downhill boots (Salomon X-wave) into my Garmont Adrenalines to see if they improve the stiffness, but they smell awful.

1. Can I wash the liners in a washing machine, and if so, how? Cold or hot wash? Delicates?
    2. Will I have to re thermomould them after washing?
    3. What about the footbed?

Looking forward to sweet smelling boots!

A local sports shop here has a machine that takes the stink out of our hockey gear using pulse something or other. Look into that

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

I wouldn't do that.

Stick a dryer sheet in each boot between use and/or when you stick a boot dryer in there

You can kill the smelly bacteria in your liners by putting them in the freezer for a few days. Cold works as well as heat.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Nothing says "bon appétit" like a pair of stinky liners in the fridge...
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Nothing says "bon appétit" like a pair of stinky liners in the fridge...
    Mon Dieu, tant pis: quel fromage!

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This is true. I use the freezer to get the stink out of all my liners and shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    You can kill the smelly bacteria in your liners by putting them in the freezer for a few days. Cold works as well as heat.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Use an enzymatic cleaner from the pet store called "nature's miracle." Soak down the interior of the liners with it using a spray bottle and rub it in with a cloth. Use several cloths if the first few are turning brown. Let air dry.

I'm a firm believer that you can wash just about anything in the machine.

I bought some used tele boots with liners that were really rancid. Threw them in the wash on gentle in cold water with lots of detergent and a double rinse. Then propped them over a heat vent in my house overnight. Completely got rid of the smell.

I have also used the washing machine numerous times to do running shoes, light weight hiking boots, and even a leather jacket. I figure if some of these things can stand up to 200 pounds of me walking on them, a bit of cold water and gentle agitation isn't going to kill them.

(Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, but I always do this with the thought that if something falls apart, I say fuck it and then get a replacement.)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Mon Dieu, tant pis: quel fromage!

That's how we do in Europe with our liners : A nice, gentle and organic douche.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by vtdownhiller View Post
    A local sports shop here has a machine that takes the stink out of our hockey gear using pulse something or other. Look into that
    http://www.air-zone.com/sportsozone.html

I suggest making a solution of baking soda and water in a spray bottle and spraying that on there. it helps.

try wearing socks

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    I'm a firm believer that you can wash just about anything in the machine.

I bought some used tele boots with liners that were really rancid. Threw them in the wash on gentle in cold water with lots of detergent and a double rinse. Then propped them over a heat vent in my house overnight. Completely got rid of the smell.

I have also used the washing machine numerous times to do running shoes, light weight hiking boots, and even a leather jacket. I figure if some of these things can stand up to 200 pounds of me walking on them, a bit of cold water and gentle agitation isn't going to kill them.

(Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, but I always do this with the thought that if something falls apart, I say fuck it and then get a replacement.)
    Thanks for your input. Like Eldo, I've put most things in the washing machine - if it won't wash, I don't buy - but I wanted to know if someone had tried it before wrecking my liners. Sounds like I'll try freezing them first (my fridge already smells of St Mercillon), and if that fails, in the gentle wash they go. I'll let you know if they fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
    try wearing socks
    You wouldn't want to smell the socks. Have you ever stayed in an Alpine refuge in high season (pardon the pun)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chamcham View Post
    Thanks for your input. Like Eldo, I've put most things in the washing machine - if it won't wash, I don't buy - but I wanted to know if someone had tried it before wrecking my liners. Sounds like I'll try freezing them first (my fridge already smells of St Mercillon), and if that fails, in the gentle wash they go. I'll let you know if they fall apart.
    This can be helpful (I mean, for the cheese).

Hmm, Saint Marcellin...

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    This can be helpful (I mean, for the cheese).

Hmm, Saint Marcellin...
    I was wondering how long it would take a French maggot to pick up on the St Mercillon. The afficionado's choice...

Does Tupperware come in Mondo point 26?
    Last edited by Chamcham; 10-24-2008 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    http://www.air-zone.com/sportsozone.html

I suggest making a solution of baking soda and water in a spray bottle and spraying that on there. it helps.
    That's the rig right there, unstunk all my hockey gear in 10 minutes for 20 bucks. I wouldn't put my liners in the wash, don't forget there are foam pads in there that don't like to get soaked, especially newer ones

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

Quote Originally Posted by vtdownhiller View Post
    That's the rig right there, unstunk all my hockey gear in 10 minutes for 20 bucks. I wouldn't put my liners in the wash, don't forget there are foam pads in there that don't like to get soaked, especially newer ones
    What happens when they get covered in snow/rain/sweat? Isn't that the same as water?

[QUOTE=YetiMan;2061104I suggest making a solution of baking soda and water in a spray bottle and spraying that on there. it helps.[/QUOTE]

You can skip the water. Just sprinkle a little Arm and Hammer (or your brand of preference) baking soda into your liners and spread around. Do it as needed (before they get rank). Works for other footwear too.

Since your liners are so rank already, it might take a few applications spread over several ski days. If the shells are also rank, you probably want to rinse those out with a baking soda/water solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Yep.

I remember doing that to some old running shoes and it worked like a charm.

http://www.mcnett.com/

I would try the myrazyme ,from the same folks who give you revivex and aqua seal

I just wash mine in a bucket with warm water and dish soap. After they dry I sprinkle a little baking soda inside to keep them fresh a little longer. I wash 'em a couple or three times a year.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

I'd freeze, wash in soap or soak them in enzymes (your choice, or maybe do all 3) and then spray in some Febreeze. My daughter's in college and says she and her room-mates swear by the stuff.

Febreeze causes cancer I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
    Febreeze causes cancer I heard.
    Only when you drink it. Or inject it. I forget which.