Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39

    Can I wash smelly boot liners?

    Questions for all you Frankenboot fitters.

    I want to put the liners from my downhill boots (Salomon X-wave) into my Garmont Adrenalines to see if they improve the stiffness, but they smell awful.

    1. Can I wash the liners in a washing machine, and if so, how? Cold or hot wash? Delicates?
    2. Will I have to re thermomould them after washing?
    3. What about the footbed?

    Looking forward to sweet smelling boots!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    killingtime, Vt/ Alaskan,Heli
    Posts
    537
    A local sports shop here has a machine that takes the stink out of our hockey gear using pulse something or other. Look into that

    195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

    I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

    Life is a suicide mission

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Plains
    Posts
    330
    I wouldn't do that.

    Stick a dryer sheet in each boot between use and/or when you stick a boot dryer in there

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,754
    You can kill the smelly bacteria in your liners by putting them in the freezer for a few days. Cold works as well as heat.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,276
    Nothing says "bon appétit" like a pair of stinky liners in the fridge...
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    12,878
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Nothing says "bon appétit" like a pair of stinky liners in the fridge...
    Mon Dieu, tant pis: quel fromage!


    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wolcott
    Posts
    187
    This is true. I use the freezer to get the stink out of all my liners and shoes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    You can kill the smelly bacteria in your liners by putting them in the freezer for a few days. Cold works as well as heat.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    787
    Use an enzymatic cleaner from the pet store called "nature's miracle." Soak down the interior of the liners with it using a spray bottle and rub it in with a cloth. Use several cloths if the first few are turning brown. Let air dry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    20 steps from the hot tub
    Posts
    3,511
    I'm a firm believer that you can wash just about anything in the machine.

    I bought some used tele boots with liners that were really rancid. Threw them in the wash on gentle in cold water with lots of detergent and a double rinse. Then propped them over a heat vent in my house overnight. Completely got rid of the smell.

    I have also used the washing machine numerous times to do running shoes, light weight hiking boots, and even a leather jacket. I figure if some of these things can stand up to 200 pounds of me walking on them, a bit of cold water and gentle agitation isn't going to kill them.

    (Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, but I always do this with the thought that if something falls apart, I say fuck it and then get a replacement.)
    "Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." Elena

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Mon Dieu, tant pis: quel fromage!


    That's how we do in Europe with our liners : A nice, gentle and organic douche.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Flavor Country
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdownhiller View Post
    A local sports shop here has a machine that takes the stink out of our hockey gear using pulse something or other. Look into that
    http://www.air-zone.com/sportsozone.html


    I suggest making a solution of baking soda and water in a spray bottle and spraying that on there. it helps.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    696
    try wearing socks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    I'm a firm believer that you can wash just about anything in the machine.

    I bought some used tele boots with liners that were really rancid. Threw them in the wash on gentle in cold water with lots of detergent and a double rinse. Then propped them over a heat vent in my house overnight. Completely got rid of the smell.

    I have also used the washing machine numerous times to do running shoes, light weight hiking boots, and even a leather jacket. I figure if some of these things can stand up to 200 pounds of me walking on them, a bit of cold water and gentle agitation isn't going to kill them.

    (Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, but I always do this with the thought that if something falls apart, I say fuck it and then get a replacement.)
    Thanks for your input. Like Eldo, I've put most things in the washing machine - if it won't wash, I don't buy - but I wanted to know if someone had tried it before wrecking my liners. Sounds like I'll try freezing them first (my fridge already smells of St Mercillon), and if that fails, in the gentle wash they go. I'll let you know if they fall apart.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
    try wearing socks
    You wouldn't want to smell the socks. Have you ever stayed in an Alpine refuge in high season (pardon the pun)?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamcham View Post
    Thanks for your input. Like Eldo, I've put most things in the washing machine - if it won't wash, I don't buy - but I wanted to know if someone had tried it before wrecking my liners. Sounds like I'll try freezing them first (my fridge already smells of St Mercillon), and if that fails, in the gentle wash they go. I'll let you know if they fall apart.
    This can be helpful (I mean, for the cheese).

    Hmm, Saint Marcellin...
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    This can be helpful (I mean, for the cheese).

    Hmm, Saint Marcellin...
    I was wondering how long it would take a French maggot to pick up on the St Mercillon. The afficionado's choice...

    Does Tupperware come in Mondo point 26?
    Last edited by Chamcham; 10-24-2008 at 05:06 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    killingtime, Vt/ Alaskan,Heli
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    http://www.air-zone.com/sportsozone.html


    I suggest making a solution of baking soda and water in a spray bottle and spraying that on there. it helps.
    That's the rig right there, unstunk all my hockey gear in 10 minutes for 20 bucks. I wouldn't put my liners in the wash, don't forget there are foam pads in there that don't like to get soaked, especially newer ones

    195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

    I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

    Life is a suicide mission

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdownhiller View Post
    That's the rig right there, unstunk all my hockey gear in 10 minutes for 20 bucks. I wouldn't put my liners in the wash, don't forget there are foam pads in there that don't like to get soaked, especially newer ones
    What happens when they get covered in snow/rain/sweat? Isn't that the same as water?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    196
    [QUOTE=YetiMan;2061104I suggest making a solution of baking soda and water in a spray bottle and spraying that on there. it helps.[/QUOTE]

    You can skip the water. Just sprinkle a little Arm and Hammer (or your brand of preference) baking soda into your liners and spread around. Do it as needed (before they get rank). Works for other footwear too.

    Since your liners are so rank already, it might take a few applications spread over several ski days. If the shells are also rank, you probably want to rinse those out with a baking soda/water solution.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    6,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    You can kill the smelly bacteria in your liners by putting them in the freezer for a few days. Cold works as well as heat.
    Yep.

    I remember doing that to some old running shoes and it worked like a charm.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    8,823
    http://www.mcnett.com/

    I would try the myrazyme ,from the same folks who give you revivex and aqua seal

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    here now
    Posts
    1,215
    I just wash mine in a bucket with warm water and dish soap. After they dry I sprinkle a little baking soda inside to keep them fresh a little longer. I wash 'em a couple or three times a year.

    I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

    --MT--

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    @Cassidy on Reckoning
    Posts
    868
    I'd freeze, wash in soap or soak them in enzymes (your choice, or maybe do all 3) and then spray in some Febreeze. My daughter's in college and says she and her room-mates swear by the stuff.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    696
    Febreeze causes cancer I heard.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
    Febreeze causes cancer I heard.
    Only when you drink it. Or inject it. I forget which.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •