Page 14 of 105 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    new cochise 130 is a smaller volume then the cochise of last year. might be a good option too? get both soles, and it can just be "a boot" rather then just a AT boot.

Oh, and just one last question.

Would the Cochise Light be the same low-volume fit as the 130?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    new cochise 130 is a smaller volume then the cochise of last year. might be a good option too? get both soles, and it can just be "a boot" rather then just a AT boot.
    That's exactly what I meant.

Cheers
    Last edited by Island Bay; 08-14-2012 at 10:16 PM.

coachise 130 is the bodacious fit from last year (98mm) and all the rest of the cochise is 100mm, and same as last year.

the cochise 130, with an intuition, will be similar in weight to the light I bet.

Heads up, someone's clearing a bunch of zipfits on ebay. They are the older model, but IMHO they are the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40

Gotta love search alerts. Just scored these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170917643364...84.m1497.l2649

Looking for AT boots for backcountry touring but have Raynaud's - so light, warm and good walking (movement helps) are priorities. Need to order from US into Canada so trying to get a good guess on size. While non available in town, Dynafit TLT 5s seem very well suited to my use (very light & easier walking) but are lower volume and narrower shell with thinner, colder liners (7mm); I am thinking of putting in Intuition Protour Liners (10 mm), custom footbeds, and boot warmers to get a warm but very light boot. My questions: Anyone done this? Is this a reasonable approach or would you recommend against it. If it does sound good, do I need to go up a size in the TLT to make this work? p.s. Tried various makes and Dynafit seems best though quite tight from mid-instep to little toe (my feet get very red along the edge when I pull my foot out - pronating feet): actual models and sizes that were available in town to try were ZZeus 26 (very heavy but looks like the right shell length, heel holds well and toes just brush inside of liner when standing using thin liner socks w/silnylon vb), One PX 27 (feels "nice" but likely too big) and Mercury 26 (seems very stiff for what I am doing). my feet shape: b heel, d forefoot, med arch.

order 2 sizes on the TLT and return one. but yes, that system with intuitions and heaters should work.
    I usually fit a 25 in most boots (8.5 shoe) and got the TLT5 in the 26 shell. 25 was VERY tight. So you might need to upsize anyways to get the thicker liner in that boot. Also think about boot gloves. $50 and work well.
    I'm in banff, dont sell dynafit, but can help with the fitting and sizing of what ever you bring down to me

Ummm. I'm an 8.5 or 9 depending upon the make of shoe. Size 27 sounds too big even with the intuition liner. I checked sizes: with Dynafit 26 is a 26.5 shell which should give 5 mm extra for size 26 Intuition liner.

p.s. Thanks for the offer - next time I'm in Banff I'll stop by.

if you want to shell size my 26 shell, when you get to banff, get ahold of me.

good luck with that. I would still order both sizes and return the one that doesn't work

Followed up on your advice though couldn't find size 25 or 27 - I received a pair of size 26 yesterday. While they seem pretty good (both shell fit and I wore them for 35 minutes around the house), the insoles are way narrower from mid-foot to forefoot - guestimated at up to 11 mm, insole length and heel width are barely as long and wide - should this be a concern at all? In other words do the shells sound workable. How about with a thicker Intuition liner and boot warmer?

p.s. In the liner I have lots of toe wiggle room, some room in heel, pretty tight around the forefoot but a tiny bit moveable when push up with toes (buckles just over mid-position). Wearing thin liner socks with ID silnylon VB socks (can even squeeeeeze in some heavier vb socks from RBH Designs that are the warmest I have ever used - think 100 wt polarfleece).

shell fit:
    1) between 1 and 2 fingers at back of shell.
    2) putting weight on foot can just feel sides but big and little toes pressing in, w/o weight can move a few mm side-to-side in shell - I find it hard to judge.
    3) Need space for custom insoles and also in-boot warmer.

BOW
    1 bottom buckle a bit tighter is better
    2 thinner socks per above
    3 footbeds tbd
    4 downhill stance best though with a little cutting into shin; when standing/walking little toe pushed in hard, top of foot over arch pushes hard into side of boot on arch side, and big toes pushes lightly into liner (to my understanding typical of pronating foot: big toe pushes forward, outer forefoot pushes out and top of foot over arch pushes in)
    5 tbd
    6 tbd
    7 tbd
    8 power straps don't seem much use on "inhouse" testing
    9 tbd
    10 not relevant

sounds fine, go ski em

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good bootfitter in Tahoe area? Trying to get a new pair of boots

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums

Start Haus. Real deal
    "Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it"- Mark Twain

www.entisys.com

Hi!!

Im going to buy a new pair of boots.. I bought way to big boots last year do to a toe injury, that was Fulltilt Seth Mo in size 27.

This year Im looking at Dalbello kr Two and Full tilt konflicts. The problem is that I cant find a shop here in Norway that sells Dalbello Kr two.. And none of the other Krypton models. I have tried the Full tilt in size 26.5, they was used for a season or two, so i think the liners was packed out. They felt very snug, and around 15-20mm of space between the heel and shell, Im not sure about the width, since i didnt read this forum before i tried them.

Do you know how the Konflicts is compared to the Dalbello Kr two? Is the volume lower, the insteep lower etc..? My feet is narrow, low insteep, small heel and all of the small shitt..

Im a big mountain skier, but I also ski a little in the park, and do a lot of BC-jumps beside! Therefor I like a little more space in the front of the boots.

Im also considering going down to a 25shell, since I can punch out the ski boots.. And the shops Ive talked to can get Dalbello boots and send them to me, but If they dont fit I have to pay for the return(..something that would be veeery expensive.)

So Im thinking about ordering a pari of Dalbello kr two in 25.5 and Full tilt 25.5, cause I may think that Dalbello in size 26.5 will be to big(BSL of the dalbello is 307 compared to Konflict 301BSL).

My own feet is 26.1-2 or something like that, and the width on the widest is 100.

Messy post, but hope you or any one else understands it!

Cheeeers!

Mntlion: I sent you an email too.

full tilt in 25

the Kry vs FT, the FT is smaller volume.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...20#post2168120
    this is for the older Kry shape, but the new one is not that far off. Also the new FT shape is a bit taller in the toes, and 6th toe, but again very close to the older shape.

15-20mm, in the 26, shell fit is WAY too big. Go 25.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    full tilt in 25

the Kry vs FT, the FT is smaller volume.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...20#post2168120
    this is for the older Kry shape, but the new one is not that far off. Also the new FT shape is a bit taller in the toes, and 6th toe, but again very close to the older shape.

15-20mm, in the 26, shell fit is WAY too big. Go 25.
    Oh, sorry. I meant 10-12mm space between my heel and the shell. I was reading wrong from my shellfitpaper(yes, I am writing down how my feet fits in different shells.) Would you still recommend me to go down to 25?

I also decided to order a pair or two of Dalbellos from America. Should I order the Kryptons in 25 there too? I feel that I have to try two pairs to feel the difference, but if none of them fits - it will be very expensive to send them back..

But thanks for the answer!!

Oh, sorry! I meant 10-12mm. I was reading wrong on my shellsizepaper(Yese, I am writing down how my foot fits in different shells.) Would you still recommend me to go down to 25?

And I have decided to order a pair or two of the Dalbellos from America. Should I go for size 25 there too?(BSL of the 26shell FT, and 25shell dalbello are around the same). I really want to order two pairs, so i can feel the difference, but it will be very expensive to send them back if they dont fit..

Thanks for the answer!

10-12mm is about right, so order that shelll. Odds are you wont be able to go smaller without a LOT of work.

Reality Check Please:

I'm looking to fit into Dynafit TLT5 Mountains. My feet measure exactly 27.5 cm in length, 10 1/2 shoe size, fairly narrow width (AAA or B on a Brannock). Super narrow heels, small bones, small ankles. Arch..unknown. Never an issue.

I've got two pairs at the house, need to return one. Dynafit breaks sizes on the half, so a 28 is a larger shell than a 27.5.

Size 27.5. Foot in shell has about 10mm behind heel. Little difficult to measure exactly since the heel pocket is so cupped. By sticking pens and markers down there I give it 10mm or so. Width..feet solidly touch both sides of shell when stepping directly on the plastic. Skin pushed in a little, not squishing though. When I lift my foot off of the plastic floor of the boot the sides of my foot barely touch the sides of the shell. With liners, walking around the house in these, the fit feels snug, tight but good, except for the width. Squishes my foot a little at the ball. Could be painful after a few hours of skinning. I'm ok walking around the house for a couple of hours. Buckling the lower buckle does not help, adding a thin shim under my foot to raise it a little does help with the width. Raising it up to a wider spot in the shell? I can wiggle toes a bit, not worried about that.

Size 28. Foot in shell has about 19 to 20 mm behind heel. Width..foot has a very little to no space on each side of the shell. Fit feels comfortable right away. Still snug in the forefoot for width. Does not have the same glove-like fit as the 27.5 (even thought the 27.5 may be a too tight glove)..I can raise the front of my foot up and down inside the boot a little, and the heel feels good, but wonder if it would pack out and be sloppy. I've had blister issues before from my skinny heels.

What to keep? Keep the 27.5 and try to make some width? Or keep the 28 and be more comfortable right away. I'm leaning toward the 27.5, but I have a history of trying to use "too tight boots", and have read that a number of people are up-sizing. I've read users with a foot one whole size smaller than mine going with the 27 shell.

smaller ones, Do you have someone near by that can help push the shells winder if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Preserved View Post
    My feet measure exactly 27.5 cm in length, 10 1/2 shoe size, fairly narrow width (AAA or B on a Brannock). Super narrow heels, small bones, small ankles. Arch..unknown. Never an issue.
    I've got two pairs at the house, need to return one. Dynafit breaks sizes on the half, so a 28 is a larger shell than a 27.5.
    Get the small ones. My foot also measures 27.5 and I wear a 10.5 street shoe, I'm in the 27 shell. I'm between a D and E on a Brannock, and punched the shell at the 1st and 5th met heads plus the medial midfoot, to get the boot to fit. It's not that hard to punch the TLT5, but find someone who has experience heating Grilamid if you can.

PS TLT5 shells are the same for 27 and 27.5, most people call this breaking on the whole or even size. Only the DyNA/Patrouille des Glaciers shells break on the half.

Thanks for the feedback Mntlion and gregL. Smaller pair it is. That was my gut feeling, I appreciate the back up!

I just got my krypton 2 pro fitted + custom footbed. At the shop it was really nice when I put my feet in after heating the liner up but now that i'm home, boots are crazy tight.
    is it possible that i took the boots off before the liners fully cooled off and that it expanded in the mean time? it's not painful but really uncomfortable enough to almost hurt. feet are really numb at this point.

E: was looking at my liner and turns out they put both superfeet AND the custom footbed. This isn't right is it? Took the superfeet out and now it's 50x better
    Last edited by washow; 11-26-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Is it common for feet to change shape?

06/07 I skied ~80 days (touring & resort) in a pair of Garmont Megarides, went through a break-in period but they fitted fine, no problems.
    I switched to tele skiing & didn't put the mega rides on my feet for several years.
    Now my knees hurt a bit more & I want to ski the Mega rides again, likely mix up between tele & AT.

Problem: Megarides are now virtually un-wearable. No particular pressure points, just tight all across the front of boot (ie squished toes). Numb toes, circulation is cut off. Top of my foot is ok, heel / calf area is ok. No heel lifting or anything.
    Can I punch the toes out to get a bit more space & thus get a few years use out of the megarides?

edit for more info:
    I remember trying Garmont Adrenalin & Scarpa Spirit 3 (I think?) back in 06/07, ended up with Megarides because they fit the best. Something on the Scarpas hurt, felt like the middle ratchet strap/buckle. Which is weird because the same ratchet strap/buckle on my T1 tele boots is no problem.
    Megarides are 27.5. My tele boots are Scarpa T1 28.
    My forefoot is quite wide, ankle/calf are skinny cycling-type ankles.
    Last edited by jamesp; 11-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.

I've got an extremely non-ideal boot situation that I need a redneck solution to. Major issue - I live in North Dakota, and do not have access to a bootfitter. I don't get to ski any where near as much as I used to (maybe 10-15 days a year now), and want my time in the mountains to be as enjoyable as possible.

My foot measures about a 28.25, and I wear a 10-10.5 US shoe depending on type (10 in dress, 10.5 in running shoe). I've been on Technica Icon X's since 2001 which were custom fit at PhD. skis in Bozeman when I used to live there. They were a 26.5, and I've had an issue with really since I bought them. My issue with the boots has always been that my feet feel like they are being squeeze by a vise grip from either side, and it feels like a tennis ball is directly under the ball of my foot causing my foot to go numb. This has typically happened within the first 10-15 minutes of wearing the boots while skiing, and while I used to buckle the bottom buckle 1st notch I quit buckling them at all about 6 years ago (except the top buckle). Usually by noon I am in so much pain I'm almost ready to be done for the day, but if I take a break, and take the boots off for an hour I can usually make it the rest of the day. On ski lifts with rests I get a bit of relief, but not much. If I buckle them tighter the pain increases significantly.

I decided last winter I was buying new boots before this upcoming season as I'd like to start logging more days on the snow, and I can't take the pain anymore. The only shop we have locally only sells beginner boots, and always sells boots that are way too big, so I resorted to the internet, and some input from Mnt.Lion.

I ended up purchasing the Nordica Hell and Back from last year on a Black Friday special last week. I went with the 27.5. Received them yesterday, and measured the shell w/o liner - less than a finger behind the heel (its basically a lip balm container width). My width with foot centered in the shell is barely brushing on either side, but no room to spare. My foot in the liner is very snug. Not comfortable though as the liner stretches.

I realize this isn't ideal at all, but it is really all I have to work with. I wore them for 30 minutes on the elliptical machine yesterday. Had the bottom and middle buckled on the first notch. The first 5 minutes where fine, and then it started. Felt like a tennis ball was directly under the ball of my feet, and pain and cramping on the outside of both feet. After about 10 minutes my feet are completely asleep. I tried again today for 30 minutes with the bottom buckles compeletly unbuckled with the same result. My goal is to get the liners to pack out before I hit up Big Sky in January, so I'm not ruining my few days on the mountain in pain.

I was hoping that the 100mm last of the Nordica's, and the size would be the ticket, but since I am experiencing identical issues to my Technica's I am making the assumption that my boots are not wide enough. I forgot to add that I had custom cork foot beds in the Technica's, but I haven't put them in the Nordica's. My plan is to continue to wear the Nordica's each night on the elliptical machine to break the boots in.

Ideally I'd like to work with a bootfitter to get the best fit possible, but that isn't an option. If the boot is ultimately too narrow, how does one punch the boot out redneck style? I'm not going to do anything with them until I have at least a week of wear on the elliptical machine trying to break the boots in. My issue seems very simialar to jgb@etree's posts many pages back.

Thanks for any input in advance.
    "Whoever said skiing on fat skis is like having sex with a fat chick, has obviously never had sex with a fat chick." -Jack Handy

waterbath the shell (near boiling water for 5+ minutes)
    heat up the liner with blow drier or CARFULLY in oven, or rice method.
    toe caps on toes
    3mm pads foot anywhere you want more room
    thick socks.
    bottle of scotch

remove the liners from the heat, and inset foot. make sure heel is back and down all the way
    remove shell from hot water, and stuff foot/liner into shell. make sure heel is back and down all the way. Pull up on liner, as you flex forward in shell.
    make sure heel is back and down all the way
    buckle middle buckle to make sure heel is back and down all the way
    tighten toe buckle tight, Now go 1-2 notches tighter on it.
    add scotch
    wait 10-15 mintues. 10 if you can cool the boots in snow, 15 if you are somewhere warm
    add more scotch as needed

remove boots, remove all the padding, toe caps and thick socks. wait until you can feel your feet again.
    put on THIN socks, remove boots stock footbed, and try the boots with the toe buckle OPEN (not loose, but off)

redneck, but it will work....