Page 38 of 105 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    touring socks..
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What?
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-4...Tour-Ski-Socks

Wow.

Damn clever those Canadians.

you have to chance socks if you are not on tech bindings, and for the way down

its like "enduro" but more hippy

How's the flex pattern?

Would they work for tele?

Lol rip on, but just about everything else I tried gave me blisters. Socks tend to be a bit stretchy. These stay on the foot nice and tight.
    I welcome cheaper suggestions. I can return these to mec in a few years.
    I would not recommend them for tele. They would likely rip the bindings out of the ski.

Update on this. Haven't gotten a heel riser yet, might still get one, but my solomon Quest Max 130's have a bracket to move the position of the second buckle. Moved it to the furthest back position in hopes it'd lock my heel back a little bit and it seems to be working. So if your boots have that type of deal going on, definitely try moving the buckle position.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Been getting some heel lift lately, seems like it might have to do with some packing out of the liner. Been feeling like I'm more upright in my boots than I used to be, just get a heel lift?

Rest of my boot feels fine, comfortable and fitted against my calf, and foot feels solid, just feels like there's room around my heel.

What does that usually cost?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Wow.

Damn clever those Canadians.

Coming soon to a ski boot shop near you.

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Had similar issue when skinning with all buckles undone...which I do/have done with every other touring boot that has been on my foot. Tried a day with the instep buckle on the first notch while skinning=solution.
    I supose ymmv but I alwasy do up the buckles on the ankle and fore foot so the foot doesn't move and i don't get blisters but I still have ROM for the ankle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I supose ymmv but I alwasy do up the buckles on the ankle and fore foot so the foot doesn't move and i don't get blisters but I still have ROM for the ankle
    Me too, although I will take the buckle on my ankle down a notch so it has a little more freedom but it's still snug enough to not slide around a bunch (it kind of depends on the boot and the exact buckle placement and how many there are). IME if your foot is moving around you're actually being less efficient as that motion isn't going into the travel of the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Had similar issue when skinning with all buckles undone...which I do/have done with every other touring boot that has been on my foot. Tried a day with the instep buckle on the first notch while skinning=solution.
    I tried this in my last tour but not until the damage was already done. I backed off one notch on the buckle but still had up/down movement so I don't know if it will help or not. Between the flu, kids and work I haven't had a chance to tour again to try anything out. Will do a tour or two this weekend and will try different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Interesting. I've always toured with boots completely unbuckled as to me it feels I have better range of motion. But since I will probably have to keep these buckled I will definitely give it a serious try.

This is where a instep laceup liner would be great. Lacing at the shin is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I tried this in my last tour but not until the damage was already done. I backed off one notch on the buckle but still had up/down movement so I don't know if it will help or not. Between the flu, kids and work I haven't had a chance to tour again to try anything out. Will do a tour or two this weekend and will try different thing.

Interesting. I've always toured with boots completely unbuckled as to me it feels I have better range of motion. But since I will probably have to keep these buckled I will definitely give it a serious try.
    I don't touch the lower buckle on my Explores when I transition between ski/skin. Buckle up for skiing and leave it.

So I talked with a rep at Intuition, and she recommended (for my Lange RX130s) a Dreamliner LV or Pro Tongue. I'm 6'4", 230 and am wondering if stiffening up the boot (with the Pro Tongue) is the way to go vs getting the Dreamliner which apparently keeps the stiffness the same? Advice?

Do you want or need a stiffer boot?

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Do you want or need a stiffer boot?
    Honestly, I don't know.

I feel like my RX130s were perfect over a year ago, before the liners packed out. I am on a stiffer ski since then so maybe a stiffer boot would help performance?

How much stiffer do the pro tongues make boots?

Ask intuition? I would just make them the same as they was

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Honestly, I don't know.

I feel like my RX130s were perfect over a year ago, before the liners packed out. I am on a stiffer ski since then so maybe a stiffer boot would help performance?

How much stiffer do the pro tongues make boots?
    Honestly, boot flex needs to match you not the skis. If the boots have been great until they got sloppy, how with an HV luxury or Dream Liner

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Honestly, boot flex needs to match you not the skis...
    I've been debating this a bit with myself lately. I have a pair of skinny mountaineering skis K2 shale) that I have been skiing with my beasts this year and Vulcans before that. It works, but I think my boots are too much for that ski.

However, those same boots have worked well for my RPCs and wailers.

I've been trying to decide whether a lighter boot like a tlt5 or 6 would be a better match for those skis.

Any thoughts?

Searched but didn't find answers...

Peroneus brevis strain/sprain, possibly longus too. Bad enough that i couldn't evert my foot to help initiate turns for shit for at least a week and felt like i couldn't stay balanced fore and aft well.

I think I landed a drop/bumps backseat maybe? Also, was skiing on new skis with too [little/much] delta by 5 mm; fixed that by adding the look pivot 5mm toe shim. Cuff on that leg seemed to have extra room at the top, although good fit otherwise.

I started placing my booster strap inside the shell. That is, the strap is still attached to the shell in the the back as per normal; however, the the strap goes inside the shell and over the liner in the front over my shin. I keep the strap on the outside of the shell on my non-f'ed up leg as per my normal.

The injury still hasn't completely healed yet after about 3 weeks of skiing less and more mellow. It is quite a bit better. feels great the first run of the day then feels like my ankle is partially collapsing medially. Feels like the cuff alignment is off now, but the cuff hasn't changed.

Pretty sure i don't have fibular head involvement. My PT and chiropractor both checked it out.

Boot is last year's lange rs 140 with canted soles, stock liners, custom footbeds, and a added 5mm shin pad along the inside of the affected sides liner.

I had this injury once last spring, but I recovered and forgot about it....oops.

Any thoughts?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I have kind of a permanent/recurring pain in that area. Tendonitis in the pereneal tendon, maybe? But up higher, not in the ankle. Caused almost exclusively in ski boots, so if anyone has a real fix, I'm all ears.

A couple ideas that help ease things for me during the day:
    - Expert booster strap inside the shell (I also run the stock inelastic booster strap loosely around the outside to keep from blowing entirely through the flex).
    - Manually move the liner tongue to the medial side throughout the day. The booster strap on the inside helps keep it there.
    - Unbuckle the upper at the bottom of every run and while hiking/traversing.

For reference, I'm in a Lange plug, but I've gotten the pain in 3 different boots (including one cabrio) of the past five years, so I know it's not specific to these shells.

Tendon injuries respond really well to eccentric loading, so maybe try eccentric eversion excersises with a theraband (band around your toes, holding the other end in your hand).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

A recently developed issue in my Mastrale RS's. When I flex forward my heel seems to pressure the back of the boot. Liners are getting pretty whipped, so I'm thinking it's just lack of padding, but I did notice an ever so slight bit of this trying on the Lange Freetours.

A little bit more about my foot. I've got a subtle bump on both feet just below the achilles and slightly to the outside. I've never thought of it as big or abnormal, but it does tend to wear a hole in the back of shoes over time.
    Like I said, Liner is suspect #1 on the Mastrales and they used to be fantastic until this season. It's a question mark for the langes as the liner is brand new.

Can you punch in the heel area or is this a spot for the grinder to shape things to the contours a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I have kind of a permanent/recurring pain in that area. Tendonitis in the pereneal tendon, maybe? But up higher, not in the ankle. Caused almost exclusively in ski boots, so if anyone has a real fix, I'm all ears.

A couple ideas that help ease things for me during the day:
    - Expert booster strap inside the shell (I also run the stock inelastic booster strap loosely around the outside to keep from blowing entirely through the flex).
    - Manually move the liner tongue to the medial side throughout the day. The booster strap on the inside helps keep it there.
    - Unbuckle the upper at the bottom of every run and while hiking/traversing.

For reference, I'm in a Lange plug, but I've gotten the pain in 3 different boots (including one cabrio) of the past five years, so I know it's not specific to these shells.

Tendon injuries respond really well to eccentric loading, so maybe try eccentric eversion excersises with a theraband (band around your toes, holding the other end in your hand).
    Good info especially the eccentric ankle exercisers. Thx!

Anyone else? Why does this injury occur?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Ask intuition? I would just make them the same as they was
    I did ask and she just said the extra stiffness could help support my build and could give additional control. That seems intriguing to me but I'm just not sure. I'm totally torn on which way to go....

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I did ask and she just said the extra stiffness could help support my build and could give additional control. That seems intriguing to me but I'm just not sure. I'm totally torn on which way to go....
    order both and return one? or just listen to intuition