Page 27 of 105 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

Thanks for those details timber. These are the opinions I'm looking for before I spend a lot of time/money on a boot only to be unhappy.
    Do you think there is much of a flex difference between the wc 130 and the pro 130 in the forefoot area due to thicknesses? He said the flex forward looked fine but then I was squashing the lower boot. I can't say that I would notice that skiing but what I do know is I don't tolerate slop in my boot well. I assume due to my size and larger skis.

I can't speak for the forefoot area between the two, as I don't notice this being an issue. All overlap boots exhibit some splay in the front shell when flexed.

Unless you have a very narrow foot, <98mm width means you usually have much more shell work to do. So, if you head down <98mm path, buy them from a good bootfitter and prepare for a few trips back.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

what they said.

its a thinner liner, (assuming a snug fitting boot) this will help give better feel and control. Thinner liner is also less warm

Boots can be made bigger, wider and a bit longer, so buy the tightest thing you can, but be ready to spend time to get it right. and make sure your boot fitter is ready to spend time too.

Mntlion last question, have you delt with anyone buckling the cochise right at the third buckle. It got so bad on mine that I cut up an old pair of boots to bolster that area so my buckles would atleast stay closed. I'd post a pic but for some reason cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by lotsarocks View Post
    Mntlion last question, have you delt with anyone buckling the cochise right at the third buckle. It got so bad on mine that I cut up an old pair of boots to bolster that area so my buckles would atleast stay closed. I'd post a pic but for some reason cannot.
    Hu? can you post a picture, not sure what you are trying to do

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425120406.191129.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	164589
    Where the orange is under the buckle it used to crease the cuff. Denting it to the point that it was cutting deep into the plastic.

On a separate problem, mntlion, I get bunionettes on both my little toes. Not horribly painful but annoying enough. I've had my boots punched and there seems to be room in the forefoot. I think the issue is the little toe pushing against the side of the boot when I'm doing a lot of foot steering in bumps. Any solution short of icing and anti inflammatories?

Quote Originally Posted by lotsarocks View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425120406.191129.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	164589
    Where the orange is under the buckle it used to crease the cuff. Denting it to the point that it was cutting deep into the plastic.
    I would talk to your technica dealer and see if they can help?

Quote Originally Posted by skiburgher View Post
    On a separate problem, mntlion, I get bunionettes on both my little toes. Not horribly painful but annoying enough. I've had my boots punched and there seems to be room in the forefoot. I think the issue is the little toe pushing against the side of the boot when I'm doing a lot of foot steering in bumps. Any solution short of icing and anti inflammatories?
    pain can be caused 2 ways
    1) by not enough room (so you get the boots made bigger)
    2) too much room, and the foot move and bangs on/off on the shell. with this, you need to stabalize the foot so it doesn't move around as much. Might be by adding padding on the liner, on either side of the bunion, might be with a more supportive footbed?

if you dont feel pressure, but are getting bunions, my guess is #2.

Blistering

This is my second season with a pair of Scarpa Typhoons. I chose the size (29) based on an answer in this thread, molded the intuition liners myself and started skiing them. Had no problems for the first season, 80/20 split touring/resort skiing.

However this year a new fit issue has emerged. When I do a lot traversing, sidestepping, and skating in addition to downhill I get massive blisters on the insides of my feet, as shown in the diagram below. After 3 days at Alta my feet were destroyed and it took about week for them to heal up.

I found that putting some duct tape where the blisters form before skiing helps a ton. I want to know what could have caused this and is there anything I can do to correct it? Or is modifying the boot not worth it when I can just make sure to tape my feet up?

I wear thin Darn Tough ski socks, and sweat ALOT. Perhaps these clues can offer some insight.

I've got a very low instep and always have to crank down my buckles and pad the front of my ankle to eliminate slop. What alpine and tech touring boots have the lowest instep height? My touring boots are currently Quest Max 130s but they are POS's. Scarpa Freedoms are too roomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetman View Post
    This is my second season with a pair of Scarpa Typhoons. I chose the size (29) based on an answer in this thread, molded the intuition liners myself and started skiing them. Had no problems for the first season, 80/20 split touring/resort skiing.

However this year a new fit issue has emerged. When I do a lot traversing, sidestepping, and skating in addition to downhill I get massive blisters on the insides of my feet, as shown in the diagram below. After 3 days at Alta my feet were destroyed and it took about week for them to heal up.

I found that putting some duct tape where the blisters form before skiing helps a ton. I want to know what could have caused this and is there anything I can do to correct it? Or is modifying the boot not worth it when I can just make sure to tape my feet up?

I wear thin Darn Tough ski socks, and sweat ALOT. Perhaps these clues can offer some insight.

boots might just be packing out (like all boots do) and so are fitting a bit larger, so you have a bit of room to move in the boot? blisters are from rubbing, and rubbing is movement, and movement = need to make boot smaller, or more supportive
    with that in mind a more supportive footbed? or a thicker footbed? or thicker sock?

I bet your foot is pronating, and rolling inward, and this movement is casuing the blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianColesIsSexy View Post
    I've got a very low instep and always have to crank down my buckles and pad the front of my ankle to eliminate slop. What alpine and tech touring boots have the lowest instep height? My touring boots are currently Quest Max 130s but they are POS's. Scarpa Freedoms are too roomy.
    alpine boots: look for a race boot, Race just means low volume and stiff, but easy to make it softer if needed.

For touring: not sure, check out technica cochise 130 (98mm) and the dynafit TLT stuff seems to fit lower volume feet.

are you in Golden BC? get to banff and try some touring boots at Monods (PJ or Ron) or see Ben at Soul too

Recently downsized in both my touring boots and alpine boots. Overall a very good idea, but a few issues are popping up, most of which I've dealt with. This one still lingers- in both boots, near the end of the day, I end up getting a burning, cramping sensation under my middle toes on the right foot. Can get quite bad, but goes away if I take my boot off and stretch my toes for a minute or two. I have custom footbeds from a top local tech.

It feels a little cramped in terms of width, and my guess is I just need a bit more width/volume in the forefoot area, i.e., a toe and/or 6th toe punch. What do you think?

sounds like you need just a bit more room, does this happen if you wear a thinner sock? (or worse with a thicker sock)?

how many days in the liners? getting better or worse with more days?

This one still lingers- in both boots, near the end of the day, I end up getting a burning, cramping sensation under my middle toes on the right foot. Can get quite bad, but goes away if I take my boot off and stretch my toes for a minute or two. I have custom footbeds from a top local tech. It feels a little cramped in terms of width, and my guess is I just need a bit more width/volume in the forefoot area, i.e., a toe and/or 6th toe punch.
    Dark Star, I once had a thing called Morton's Neuroma that sounds like what you describe. It's basically an inflamed nerve caused by the nerve getting torqued in between the metatarsals: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20026482. I eventually had to have it surgically removed after the cortizone shots didn't work. Not a doctor, but the thing can get worse if you don't address it and keep grinding it between your mets.

mntlion, sorry to hijack your awesome thread and turn it into gimp central.

all good. Yes, correct. I agree with above too.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    all good. Yes, correct. I agree with above too.
    Hopefully it's not that, but still, better get on this. Gonna get the boot punched this week.

Thanks to you both for the info. Hopefully I can nip this in the bud.

mntlion,
    do you have much experience w/ the fischer vacuums?

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    mntlion,
    do you have much experience w/ the fischer vacuums?
    some, mostly talking people out of them (they are fine, but just like ANY boot will not solve all issues, and are NOT a magic bullet) whats up?

some, mostly talking people out of them (they are fine, but just like ANY boot will not solve all issues, and are NOT a magic bullet) whats up?
    reputable fitter. liner/shell baked. skied a few days, felt a little "swimmy" esp in the ankle hold (have narrow ankles/calfs). they did some work including some padding around ankles and shin. skied a few days, still get some heel lift. re-baked shell w/ race stock liner (ie smaller) and cranked pressure up to suck everything in. put normal liner back in, skied, and still getting some slop/heel lift despite an overall "tight" fit. they seem to be breaking in a little more so my feet don't get too numb/cold but still don't have the (heel) fit right. wondering what the next step is. I think fitter is thinking custom liner. not against one as my old zipfits were great but just means more $ on an already spendy boot.
    end blog.

I would just see what the refund policy is, As is "I'm happy to try a few more times, and put some more money/time/parts into this, btu what happens if it is STILL not right"

I see that a bit with Fishcer, the "we can just bake it until its right" Sometimes people just need a different shell to start with.

sounds like you might be better in a true race boot? 92-95mm and then make the front bigger if needed. 98mm = not that narrow

I would just see what the refund policy is, As is "I'm happy to try a few more times, and put some more money/time/parts into this, btu what happens if it is STILL not right"

I see that a bit with Fishcer, the "we can just bake it until its right" Sometimes people just need a different shell to start with.

sounds like you might be better in a true race boot? 92-95mm and then make the front bigger if needed. 98mm = not that narrow
    thanks man. appreciate the help/advice!

Any idea how much volume can be reduced in Fischer Transalp Vacuum? Can I get them to fit tighter than TLT6, which felt like the tightest AT boots I found but still sloppy.

it can be sucked a bit smaller, but best to start with the narrowest thing. The TLT6 liner is super thin, so adding a thicker, and denser liner will help make that tighter and I think is a bitter bet.

also make sure you are in the smallest size avail for that boot. 10mm shell fit.

maybe try the thenica cochise 130 too?