Tubless tires for E/C riding

I'm currently running a lust larsen TT 2.0 up front and a maxxis hard drive 2.1 rear. The tread is all but gone on the rear tire, so that is of foremost concern. I want something that has beefy sidewalls and corners better than my current setup. Weight doesn't concern me all that much. I'm on a hardtail and mostly ride XC in NC.

The forerunners right now are the ignitor, specialized captain, or nevegal.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice from people who ride WV or NC.

edit: i did search beforehand, but most rec's seemed to be directed to riding west of the rockies
    Last edited by smalls; 10-07-2008 at 09:46 AM.

I've enjoyed the 2.3F/2.1R Ignitor in typical EC (Southeast PA, think rooty and rocky, just smaller climbs) all year. I've raced/ridden them on pretty much every condition we get around here (loose shale/rock, hardpack, damp/wet) and while not particularly good at any one condition, I like that I don't need to change tires all the time. Oh and I'm using the regular version on Mavic XC719 converted tubless w/ Stans strips.

Other tires I like for comparison: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, Specialized Resolutions (good rolling and cornering in dry, but terrible in wet), Currently liking Panaracer Rampage 2.35 and Continental Mountain King 2.4 (on my 29er)

Great question. As you know, a lot of the manufacturers are using longitude-specific compounds in their tires these days. (Fortunately they still haven't found a great latitude-specific compound, or else my answer would have to include separate recommendations for 20-30 deg N, 30-40 deg N, and 40+ deg N.) The other prime factor you need to consider is distance to a maritime environment. Since 2005, some -- but not all -- manufacturers are using a compound whose effectiveness really depends on how many miles you are from tidewater. The good side about this is that some tires are really specialized for East Coast riding, while others are more specialized for Eastern Interior trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    The good side about this is that some tires are really specialized for East Coast riding, while others are more specialized for Eastern Interior trails.
    Want to expand on this a bit?

yeah, expand upon that last thought if you don't mind, yeti. which ones are specialized for interior riding? fwiw, i don't really ride when it's wet.

edit: and if I'm just slow, so be it. but i know that i don't need the same tires that peeps out in CO, UT and the west coast are rockin'. so again, any help would be nice.
    Last edited by smalls; 10-07-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Want to expand on this a bit?

I am pretty sure yeti was joking...

Yeah, sometimes I get grumpy, especially about geographic stereotyping and imprecision of speech. While some bits of land have commonalities with nearby places, it just strikes me that the specifics of the places you ride are more important than the generalities -- e.g. tell us whether you ride lift-served downhilling at ski resorts, buff singletrack, or (like me) unpopular singletrack with dozens of roots and rocks per bikelength. (You did mention WV and NC, which I conveniently ignored for sarcasm's sake.) I recognize that my snarkiness is unhelpful.

To be more helpful, I've had good mileage out of Big Earls. They're heavy, and I'm slow, but they have great traction for where and how I ride -- which is mostly on what amount to game trails and abandoned roads.

And by the way: I'm north of 40 deg N, and can see tidewater from the trails.

2.2 WTB Wolverine UST.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Tire choice should be made based on trail type, not on region. There are NORBA dirt sidewalks in the Rockies. There are rocky trails in the mid-Atlantic.

Your existing tires are low-profile, low-tread XC race tires. They are designed for hardpack and solid rock trail surface traction.

Almost every tire with average-sized knobs, or larger knobs, will corner better. All of the tires you listed as possible new tire choices will corner better.

The Ignitor is a good next-step tire for you. It has more knobs, it will hold better on loose soils. It is finicky on cornering traction, though. You need to find the right PSI for your style, your trail beds, and your typical speed. When it's too soft, it squirms and folds over. When it's too hard, it slides. Get the PSI right and it is excellent.

I don't know diddly about the Specialized Captain.

The Kenda Nevegal and Panaracer Rampage are similar tires, they are basically modifications of the Maxxis Minion DH Front tire. They corner very well but because they have a consistent knob pattern across the width of the tread, they tend to break loose for good when they break loose. This makes them different from the Maxxis Minion, which has a tendency to grip when upright, slide when edged slightly, and then grip again when edged radically.

If you want a tire that rolls quickly but provides more general traction overall in adverse conditions, I would suggest the Maxxis Ardent.

I don't know whether the Ardent works with Stan's because I'm not one of those eedjits who thinks tubeless is Valhalla. I still use tubes, as do all of my riding pals. Most seasoned riders know how to avoid pinchflats... it's called using enough air pressure.
    Last edited by uncle crud; 10-10-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks crud.

I'm mostly doing the tubeless thing because my i bought my bike used and it came with UST rims and tires. Figger I might as well stick with it.

most of the trails i've ridden around here thus far have a good amount of rocks and roots and lots of switchbacks.

it looks like my first experiment will be with the ignitor, and i'll definitely be doing lots of experimenting with pressure

yeti - no worries, i expect snarkiness, it's tgr. i should have been more detailed in what types of trails i ride beyond 'xc in nc'. however, i was also hoping for some opinions from people that may ride in this area as they may have some gleaned some insight through experience in the region. thus the 'e/c riding' generalization.

Sorry - been dealing with the banking stuff here in the QC.

I like the combo I am running on the 575. Up front Maxxis High Roller 2.3x (x=whatever) and out back a Maxxis Larsen TT 2.1 (i think, might be 2.0). Works fine for me but dont have a lot to compare it to - the bike came w/ Maxxis Minions - didnt like them too much for xc around these parts.

hope that helps