Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moment Bibby Pro vs. 4frnt EHP

I was looking at these two skis, and I wanted to know if anyone can help me out to decide which ones to get. I'm an aggressive skier, 5'10" 160 pounds...I ski at Squaw Valley, so we don't get an incredible amount of powder days every year, so i opted to sell my pontoons and i want something that i can ride everyday, but still tears it up on a big pow day. Maybe if someone knows a sick binding to throw on them too.

Bibby's are a softer jib oriented ski with wider dimensions and a bit more sidecut than the 4FRNT which is designed in diff lengths (186 = nimble slarvy tree ski, 193 = more running length, big mtn style pow ski). Haven't skiied Squaw. I looked at both skis and chose the EHP193 as I was worried the Bibby might be a bit too soft for me (205lbs) and I prefer a bit more of a solid feel as opposed to jibby (the Moment Ruby would be more up my alley).

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by ScratchBum23 View Post
    I ski at Squaw Valley, so we don't get an incredible amount of powder days every year,
    Interesting.

Didn't you post this same question last week?

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    Interesting.
    Yeah, same thought here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This is an old thread and the Bibby being referenced here is not the same as today's. But I'm looking for some info from someone who has skied both the 186 EHP and the current 184 or 190 Bibby. I'm looking for a ski similar to the 186 EHP but with a bit more sidecut for when the snow goes from 3D to 2D.

A few questions:

- The EHP (in pow) has the amazing ability to make short, playful, bouncy turns in tight trees while having absolutely no inclination to overturn at high speeds (a 40 m turn radius will do that). How much of that frictionless non-hookiness does the Bibby give up?

- Is the Bibby as loose as the EHP?

- Does the Bibby's increased sidecut make it grabbier than the EHP in chop?

- Does the 184 or 190 feel more similar in length to the 186 EHP?

We're on the exact same friggen ski-quest.... its kinda spooky.
    Haven't been on the Bibby's, but been trying to hook up with the rep to test 'em out.
    Maybe this weekend?

Same for me. Except that Iīm more looking into the longer lengths.
    If someone could offer some insight in the characteristics of the 190 Bibby vs. the 192 EHP that would be sweet!!!
    A comparison between the two EHP lenghts (186 vs. 192) would also be helpful.
    Iīm mostly in search for a ski that can charge, but remains manageable in the occassional treerun and technical terrain (got a dedicated treeski, so thats not what iīm lookin for).

^^ Seems like you want the 4FRNT Renegade, Loki.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

2nd on Renegade, kills it in a 196
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

^^^
    The Renegade may be what you want, but it's a different animal than the EHP, mainly due to the full reverse camber and really stiff flex. My thoughts are here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...CRJ-vs-186-EHP

I like the radius and carving sensation better on the Renegade but find the flat camber and slightly softer flex on the EHP makes them more energetic in the trees and better at soaking up chop (though Rens will cut through if it's soft chop).

Nope, definitely no Renegade for me.
    Too stiff for a light guy like me and i really canīt stand how a fully rockered ski feels in variable conditions (transition from light snow to hard snow).
    Was hoping the EHP was a little less stiff than the Renegade, allowing me to ride a ski in the 19x length, taking all the benefits of the longer length, without sacrificing too much in technical terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    This is an old thread and the Bibby being referenced here is not the same as today's. But I'm looking for some info from someone who has skied both the 186 EHP and the current 184 or 190 Bibby. I'm looking for a ski similar to the 186 EHP but with a bit more sidecut for when the snow goes from 3D to 2D.

A few questions:

- The EHP (in pow) has the amazing ability to make short, playful, bouncy turns in tight trees while having absolutely no inclination to overturn at high speeds (a 40 m turn radius will do that). How much of that frictionless non-hookiness does the Bibby give up?

- Is the Bibby as loose as the EHP?

- Does the Bibby's increased sidecut make it grabbier than the EHP in chop?

- Does the 184 or 190 feel more similar in length to the 186 EHP?
    Still looking for someone to weigh in. Especially interested in the length question.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki87 View Post
    Iīm mostly in search for a ski that can charge, but remains manageable in the occassional treerun and technical terrain (got a dedicated treeski, so thats not what iīm lookin for).
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki87 View Post
    Nope, definitely no Renegade for me.
    Too stiff for a light guy like me and i really canīt stand how a fully rockered ski feels in variable conditions (transition from light snow to hard snow).
    Was hoping the EHP was a little less stiff than the Renegade, allowing me to ride a ski in the 19x length, taking all the benefits of the longer length, without sacrificing too much in technical terrain.
    Honestly, the first quote is what stood out to me. That's exactly what I wanted in the 186 Ren, and it really delivered. Have you tried the Renegade? Have you tried it for at least 1/2 a day? If not, I strongly urge you to do so. If so, the rest of this post is for someone looking for the same type of ski and it sucks they didn't work out for you. I'm a decent skier, and it still took 3 runs before I started to come around on the ski. By the end of the day, I was in love; 5 days later, I'm still learning what she can really do.

For me, the Rens have almost become a daily driver in the PNW. They actually are my tree ski - I have other, bigger skis for going fast and straight, but the 186 Ren is the perfect blend of playful in the trees while still being enough ski for me to charge out of the line into an open bowl. I'm on the shorter length for just that reason: it's my tree ski. I'm 5'11", 165#, and could stand to lose about 10# (when I'm in shape, my weight hovers between 155# and 160#). I am SUPER weak right now (recovering from injuries), though technically proficient, and I don't find them too much ski at all - except for the first two or three runs when I wasn't sure how to drive them. I had read reviews that said the ski was both playful and could charge - at first, I thought it was neither; then I thought it could charge okay (though not as well as my other skis), but by the end of the first day, I discovered it could definitely do both really well.

One of these days, I'll get some good video of me tree skiing, but lately my camera battery has died before I've had to hit up the trees to find powder (too much good snow here!).

Again, not trying to be pushy, just sharing my experience. I know that D(C) much prefers the EHP for trees, but for my style and weight, I don't think I need anything else as a dedicated tree ski. And I'm sure that as I get back into shape and gain some core and leg strength, the Rens will really let me channel my inner-Hoji.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 03-15-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Renegade is way easier in transitions and groomers than EHP. I skiied 186 EHP & 186 Ren, ren was easier and shoter radius. full rocker is balced by matched sidecut. Ehp was more fall line directional. And ren kills it in the trees. Try before you decide
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Honestly, havenīt skied the Ren. Was deciding between Rens and Katanas at the beginning of the season (both share similar concept of full rocker and matching sidecut). and went with the Katana. Havenīt spent too many days on them, but never really liked itīs behaviour on hard surface. Around here in Austria, things tend to not only get tracked out, but every little bit of soft snow gets scraped down the slopes most people tend to ride (and that happens realy quick). So, one day after the storm, youīre left with bumpy hardpack conditions in the backcountry. And you have to ski along those beaten tracks to reach the goods.
    The thing is, the Katana is an incredible ski as long as the snow is soft, even in firmer 3D snow, i really like it. Incredible float and maneuverability while being able to charge through everything.Even liked them in the trees.
    But they make me ski like an intermediate (at best!) on hardpack and things get really scary if you happen to hit harder surface on your runout. In those situations even my 183 Bent Chetlers feel more stable than the fullrocker of the Katanas.
    Might be just me, but i feel like there is no sweetspot at all on the fullrocker on harder snow (in 3D snow thats a different story) and because of that, they throw me in the backseat all the time and once that happens itīs game over and they take me for a ride.
    I just would like something with the capabilitys of the Katana, that works well on hardpack, even when driven hard with pressure on your boots tongues (keeping me out of the backseat). That is something the Katana really doesnīt like at all and i heard similar descriptions of the Rens.

I looked at both skis and chose the EHP193 as I was worried the Bibby might be a bit too soft for me (205lbs) and I prefer a bit more of a solid feel as opposed to jibby

All good points from the guys above re: rens vs ehps.

I definitely think you should demo some skis. See what characteristics you like about each of them. Or just buy both, and sell one later. There were some 193 EHPs around recently on gearswap

So I'm picking up some 190 Bibbys this weekend. If they work out, both EHPs and Rens may be out the door!

(shameless spam but PM me if you're possibly interested in taking either off my hands)

I would really appreciate if you could share some insight on the differences between those three after you tried the Bibbys.
    Testing 4frnt or Moment in Austria is nearly impossible.

got on a pair of 193 ehp s this year and they are my daily driver for the area and sidecountry, mounted with freeride pros. in pow they do whatever i want, at the hill they are good for most conditions. a little burly to throw around sometimes, but at fernie we ski tight trees all the time. " some people call me an OG, but now i ski like hoji..."

loki, I can maybe hook you up with my pair of bibbys if you fit into small dukes or with some other moments if youīr out next weekend between obertauern and uttendorf. pn me here or on the german forum...

been really happy with my bibbys, great ski for shure. just realizing Iīm never gona use that big twintip so it might swich up to some governors or down countdown 3s which sound interesting accourding to this guy https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ghlight=bansko

Day 1 on my 190 Bibbys. Hard to compare length with the 186 EHPs but I'd say the 190 Bibbys feel longer while having a sidecut that inspires more confidence. They're more locked in and more stable on edge, not quite as loose and slarvy, and the tips and tails are less tapered, which gives a feeling of a longer sidecut length on edge but less willingness to instantly break free from turns. The Bibbys track better in rough snow due to the long sidecut length and cambered section. The EHPs are more slashy and loose.

Bibbys will suit someone who likes carving most turns and gains maneuverability through impulses generated by the sidecut. EHPs will favour a skier that likes a more surfy ski with a less engaged feeling edge, and gains maneuverability from sliding the ski sideways on a flat base. Both are excellent skis but it will come down to your style.

interesting thread. with responses all over the board.

all I can add is this: my 186 RENS absofuckinglutely kill it in trees in any type of 3d snow. and are by far the most stable 18x soft snow ski I have ever been on. try them(loki)......
    one step forward, no step backward