Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    christian santelices from exum mountain guides
    F-R-O-double-G

http://www.exumguides.com/?page_id=6...5&subProgId=39

I've had good experience with Exum.
    Rent touring gear and have them take you into the park.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    http://www.exumguides.com/?page_id=6...5&subProgId=39

I've had good experience with Exum.
    Rent touring gear and have them take you into the park.
    If you are renting touring gear, rent it for a couple of days. Get a day or two in on it skiing within the ski area, before you head off into the backcountry.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

You can't go wrong with exum. And if your looking for easier access I would just go out of the resort. Plenty of goodies to be had out there with just boot packing/ traversing.

Any resort based guiding is going to be more expensive than what you can do in the park or on the pass with exum.

Check the prices between JH alpine guides and exum and you'll see what I mean.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by SPREAD EAGLE View Post
    If you encounter a person whom people refer to as "menace," double check to make sure your weed and wallet are safe. I won't say whom he works for but trust me on this.
    ppfff haa ha ha ha! truth be told. holy shit that mad me laugh.

There are some great guides in Jackson, probably wouldn't matter which one you got cuz they are pretty good. Why not just buy the guidebook and try it out yourself though? I hired a few guides in the past, they were great, but usually its something you could've done on your own or done something slightly smaller and felt way more accomplished about... you'll have fun either way.

Bump. Buddy is curious to do a "ski mountaineering course" in JH, asked if I'd be interested, I said sure. Looks like he's looking at JHMG - from what I read here they seem reputable? It's $320 pp for 2 people for a day, which seems reasonable... I've never been to the area so I'm happy to pay a good guide in an area like that.

Anyone ever done one of these "ski mountaineering" courses with JHMG before, know what to expect? More of a training thing, or more of a pick-a-line-and-try-to-bag-it thing?

Edit for some context: both of us obviously have full avy/touring gear and do quite a bit of backcountry skiing on our own, just not really with ropes, and I don't know the JH area at all, never having been there myself. If my $320 gets me a crack at something like the Skillet, shut up and take my money... if it's gonna be more like, here's how to tie a figure of eight, here's how to set up a rappel, etc... probably not.

Dont know nuttin about JHMG but seems to me you should get on the phone with them and discuss what your experience is, what your goals are and what their programs are like. My limited experience with guided trips suggest that an open discussion leads to the right expectations and then a successful trip, whereas failure to do so likely leads to danger or disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Dont know nuttin about JHMG but seems to me you should get on the phone with them and discuss what your experience is, what your goals are and what their programs are like. My limited experience with guided trips suggest that an open discussion leads to the right expectations and then a successful trip, whereas failure to do so likely leads to danger or disappointment.
    word. The 'office' staff at JHMG, Exum and likely others are staffed by folks that used to or still crush all kinds of climbing and skiing and are very skilled at matching clients and trips...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's