Thread: NTN vs 75 mm

NTN vs 75 mm

I did a quick search and did not come up with anything, so I apologize if this subject had been covered.

I'm looking into getting into free heeling and am looking for some info on the pros and cons of NTN vs. 75 mm. I am a complete rook when it comes to telemark skiing but like to consider myself a strong alpine skier. Thanks in advance.

Earnyourturns.com. Click on the BackcountryTalk link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This has never been discussed before on TGR. Nope, not once, not ever.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Atetongravity.com+NTN

^Heh, right?

Short version: if you really want to tele and are just starting out, go NTN. It skis very well, releases, has brakes, and has EZ-In/EZ-Out.

If you just want to see whether you like tele, go 75mm. Cheaper, especially used.

It gets more complicated if you plan to mostly tour with them, but to simplify that just go with tech bindings instead.

Queue up the endless arguments and counter-points.

As a former telemark skier I recommend FKS and Dynafit.

the progression is alpine - tele - spiral fracture tib/fib - dynafits so IME you could skip a couple of steps in there and still arrive at the same end

4 ski stores in town and nobody stocks tele gear anymore, even the store owner who tele marks only brings it in if you ask
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ski school graduate View Post
    I did a quick search and did not come up with anything, so I apologize if this subject had been covered.

I'm looking into getting into free heeling and am looking for some info on the pros and cons of NTN vs. 75 mm. I am a complete rook when it comes to telemark skiing but like to consider myself a strong alpine skier. Thanks in advance.
    How short was your search?

Your post title gave 263,000 results.

You could read a few of them. Or just go with Meadow Skippers advice, which sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by hhtele View Post
    How short was your search?

Your post title gave 263,000 results.

You could read a few of them. Or just go with Meadow Skippers advice, which sums it up.
    Only the question was asked here, obviously looking for advice from TGR people. Search on this site turns up nothing specific to the question.

Btw, i like XXX-er's advice...and my local hill has a strong group of NTN telle people. Of course i'm sure living in B.C. makes the choice and progression pretty easy for him.

is NTN is definatley stronger for on the hill but they still break and is it really a releasable system or do you just come out ... maybe?

Lots of 3pin boots and rigs around used/cheap/almost free which is the best way to get into tele

If you find that you love tele then by all means do it

What did the telemarker say when he ran out of dope "man these skis suck!"
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    is NTN is definatley stronger for on the hill but they still break...
    They're stronger than most tele bindings, but...all tele bindings break, as do Dynafits, Fritschis, and most everything else.

and is it really a releasable system or do you just come out ... maybe?
    I, and most people, have found the release to be reliable. But, again, people have release problems with tech bindings and regular alpine bindings, amiright?

Hope I never run out of weed.

Edit to add: A couple other points in favor of NTN: NTN boots don't have that annoying duckbill on the toe - better for climbing and fit crampons better. And some, like mine (Scarpa), have tech fittings and can be used in tech bindings. They work great in my Dynafits.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    They're stronger than most tele bindings, but...all tele bindings break, as do Dynafits, Fritschis, and most everything else.

I, and most people, have found the release to be reliable. But, again, people have release problems with tech bindings and regular alpine bindings, amiright?

Hope I never run out of weed.

Edit to add: A couple other points in favor of NTN: NTN boots don't have that annoying duckbill on the toe - better for climbing and fit crampons better. And some, like mine (Scarpa), have tech fittings and can be used in tech bindings. They work great in my Dynafits.
    OK, I guess we're posting serious responses now

I have skied the burliest of 75mm gear and I think NTN is much, much better. Binding spring does not have to be as stiff to achieve the same level of performance, step-in functionality is great, and that one time I released I was really glad I did (no pre-releases otherwise). They make parallel turns as well as any setup out there (cuz not everyone drops a knee all the time). Note that this is all w.r.t. the NTN Freeride. Also, the plate system is great and really does enable 2 minute hotel room binding swaps, much easier than fiddling with inserts.

That being said, tele is clearly not the choice for serious touring. I have taken mine on exactly one tour. But if you want to learn (learning to shred tele will do wonders for your edge control, IMO) and are planning on skiing resorts, I'd recommend NTN, hands down.

Starting out and serious about it - NTN.
    Really on the fence, and a cheapskate - 75mm.

If you aren't planning on touring and it's "all about the down", I'd say NTN hands down. Lots of advantages. The release is suspect, but at least you have a chance. The "step-in" isn't really, but still easier than most tele stuff. Brakes are great. The ability to move them fore/aft is nice, and being able to mount them on multiple skis with only needing the extra plate kit is nice as well.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Agree with the above on the basic NTN vs. 75mm tradeoff. The NTN Freedom actually tours fine, not as well as a tech binding but (IMO) better than the plate style AT bindings plenty of people seem to tour on. If you're looking for the "best" touring binding then def. go Dynafit, but if you want something that tours well and lets you drop a knee on the down then the Freedom does fine (as does Axl, Switchback, etc.).

75mm only if it's free, and you don't care about release. (And if you're mortal, you should care.)

There are very reasonable NTN deals these days.

Axebiker did not mention this, but check out his for sale items:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ed-tubes-Large
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...s-Rossignol-S5
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...NTN-boots-27-0

I'd be all over that if I were in acquisition mode.

Also some boot deals on Sierra Trading Post (Garmont Prophet), and if you're interested in something shorter I'll be selling 173cm Atomic Drifters drilled and inserted for both current NTN Freeride and Freedom patterns for around what Axe is asking.

These are just examples. Point is, the cost advantage of 75mm seems gone. Yes, there are releasable 75mm systems - 7tm and Voile CRB - and come to think of it I need to clear out some 7tm bindings too. But the NTN has a significant ease of use advantage.

Oh, and NTN skis better, is easier to get in and out of, has brakes, and is more versatile; there are NTN boots with tech fittings in case you're tempted by Dynafits.