Page 101 of 141 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 3510
    Since I tweaked my neck from sitting badly at my desk poor posture is always one of my first suspicions with unexplained neck and back problems.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Anybody ever tweak their neck while benching?

It happened to me this morning. I did my usual warm ups and preliminaries before getting to my last set (265x5). But as I was simply getting the bar off the pins, I felt a sharp shooting pain in the left side of my neck. I didn't have my head turned and I hadn't even began to fully exert myself. Now my neck feels sore and it feels a little tender when I turn my head to the right. It feels kind of like I slept with my head/neck at a weird angle.

This is the second time this has happened. The first time was a few weeks ago when I was doing dynamic bench (pushing lower weights has hard and fast as possible for low reps). That time, I was only working with about 150#. I decided to discontinue dynamic/Westside style workouts to stay safe. I took it easy for a week, the tenderness went away, and I was able to have at least one heavy bench session afterward without any problems.

Thoughts? Any way to avoid this? For the time being, I guess I'll take it easy for a few weeks since it seems like I might have aggravated the same injury. Thanks in advance.
    Go see a good PT. Guessing you may have some muscle imbalance issues. Do you have overdeveloped traps? Do you do more pushing than pulling?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Wrist is still sore but getting better.

.com wod today

12 minute amrap
    15 deadlift 155
    15 push ups
    15 box jumps 24"

Just shy of 5 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Go see a good PT. Guessing you may have some muscle imbalance issues. Do you have overdeveloped traps? Do you do more pushing than pulling?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums
    Muscle imbalances for sure. You definitely need to make sure that you are doing more pulling than pushing exercises especially horizontal pulling. You should always get a lift off even if you can lift the weight yourself. You are at a mechanical disadvantage with the weight over your face as opposed to your chest/shoulders.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

A big arch could put your neck in a funky spot.

Did this yesterday.

12 Days of Christmas (135/95)

1 Snatch
    2 Muscle Ups
    3 Squat Cleans
    4 Handstand Pushups
    5 Chest to Bar
    6 Pistols
    7 Push Jerks
    8 Kettlebell Swings
    9 Toes to Bar
    10 Box Jumps
    11 Burpees
    12 Thrusters

1:06:15 Didn't think it'd ever end.

If you're not familiar with these, you do it like the song:
    etc.

Thanks all.

Posture might be a contributing factor. I won't claim to have great posture and I could probably use a new bed.

While I'm open minded, I'm not so sure it's a muscle imbalance issue. Traps seem to be proportional. My workouts are fairly simple. Each week I'll do two bench exercises (normal bench and either decline or incline) and three pulling exercises (seated rows, bent barbell rows, pull ups) as well as deadlifts, squats, military presses, and a small number of supplementary exercises.

Again, I wasn't even fully exerted myself when I felt my neck tweak and it's much better now.

I probably will get a lift off on my heavy sets from now on though.

jibij - damn, that sounds rough.

My most recent: 1000m row, 30-20-10 of burpees and lunges, 1000m row.

First day at the new box:
    Filthy Fifty in 35.07

First day back Wednesday after two months off of weights. First thing I noticed, I had no lingering issues. No soreness in the shoulders (I've been working for two years to get rid of the back to front imbalance I created in highschool). Second thing - I got weak, dropped about 20% off all my lifts. Third thing - I got tired fast, cut out the third set of the last two circuits. Felt like I was on the verge of straining something on the second. Fourth - and this one is really wierd to me - I didn't have to concentrate on activating my glutes. They just activated and took over on the lifts. Yesterday and today, my glutes are fucking sore. Never has my ass been this sore before. I wonder if my glutes are now fixed and will activate easier?

1 RM deadlift (385#) and then sub 9 minute 2000m row. FML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Sprained MCL and wonky wrist have pretty much kept me out of action since Dec 21st. Next physio appointment is Thursday so hopefully I'll get the go-ahead for increased activity. Also, I apparently need to lower my cholesterol.

Worked

BBB’s 3-Ton Burpee WOD:
    (a ‘Ton’ = 100 in British slang).
    20km run
    300 Burpees
    (Stop every kilometre and do on average 15 Burpees)

2:09:03
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

man i suck at front squats. Goblet squats, back squats, no prob, good mobility. Bar in front, feel some strain/tightening in the low back, feel like i'm going to fall forward, don't get down nearly far enough. Focused on weighting heels, as well as high elbows as was suggested which was helped by the two-finger grip. Think i'm going back to bar only and work on straight technique...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    thanks, don't think so, good mobility with weighted back squats, air squats, goblet squats. Thinking either my technique sucks, i have some QL/IT band issues, or i'm just a fkn pussy.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    thanks, don't think so, good mobility with weighted back squats, air squats, goblet squats. Thinking either my technique sucks, i have some QL/IT band issues, or i'm just a fkn pussy.
    Low bar or high bar back squat?

If you do a low bar back squat with a hip back, shin vertical, chest forward style you'll have to change the way you do things for the front squat. It's much more knee forward, butt straight down at least for the Olympic lifting style. You need good upper thoracic and first rib mobility too.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    Low bar or high bar back squat?

If you do a low bar back squat with a hip back, shin vertical, chest forward style you'll have to change the way you do things for the front squat. It's much more knee forward, butt straight down at least for the Olympic lifting style. You need good upper thoracic and first rib mobility too.
    High bar, as it turns out. Didn't know there were two versions. Other mobility might be spot on tho, shoulders are not 'open' much at all

High bar, as it turns out. Didn't know there were two versions. Other mobility might be spot on tho, shoulders are not 'open' much at all
    How's your over-head squat then?

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    How's your over-head squat then?
    terrible. My worst squat possible. Can barely get a full squat in using PVC, let alone a bar or weight.

terrible. My worst squat possible. Can barely get a full squat in using PVC, let alone a bar or weight.
    Definitely sounds mostly like an upper thoracic mobility issue then. The tight lower back could be a short psoas.

You just described how my front and overhead squat is as well. The worst.
    And, it's pretty much all mobility issues. DTM has been giving me good stretches to do so I can start making these better. Also, I'm 100% sure my right knee pain and the fact I have to keep my feet wider are because of this.
    Slowly but surely I'm working on it....but yeah, mobilitywod.com and stretching in general through that area will help us
    you sketchy character, you

Let your knees go past your toes.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    First day back Wednesday after two months off of weights. First thing I noticed, I had no lingering issues. No soreness in the shoulders (I've been working for two years to get rid of the back to front imbalance I created in highschool). Second thing - I got weak, dropped about 20% off all my lifts. Third thing - I got tired fast, cut out the third set of the last two circuits. Felt like I was on the verge of straining something on the second. Fourth - and this one is really wierd to me - I didn't have to concentrate on activating my glutes. They just activated and took over on the lifts. Yesterday and today, my glutes are fucking sore. Never has my ass been this sore before. I wonder if my glutes are now fixed and will activate easier?
    Did you do something special to get your glutes to start activating once you started lifting again? Or was it just coincidence? I have a history of not using my glutes as much as should, especially for running.

I did my first full workout since spraining my MCL 4 weeks ago. My wrist is now causing me more problems than the knee.

1000m row
    10 muscle up subs (3 pull ups and 3 dips for each MU)
    20 strict press 75# (substituted for shoulder to over head 135#)
    30 dead lift 135#
    40 burpees (walked in and out of them instead of jumping)
    50 double unders