Page 126 of 141 FirstFirst ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 3510
    spook Guest
    i know enough that i know i don't need or want it. thanks. although to feel at home with more douches sounds inviting. well, unless they're all crossfit nazis.

spook Guest
    that was a long response for not deserving a response. i feel -- what's that word? legitimate.

spook Guest
    what is a mag doctor? like a rug doctor?

spook Guest
    oh wait, does md stand for mag doctor? do those even have a license?

Most doctors receive little to no training about exercise and diet. But many have sense of authority concerning all matters of the human body. It is doctors who say things like "walking is just as good as running" and "lifting weights will stunt your growth." I've also found that many doctors, even orthopedists, know little about treating injuries without surgery compared to physical therapists and other like minded practitioners. I have nothing against doctors- but our culture seems to respect their authority well beyond their expertise.

Crossfit is just a name. The fee to use the name is cheap. It helps gyms attract new clients. I know a guy who runs a Crossfit gym who is a kook who doesn't know shit. He makes money because he opened up near a great Crossfit gym, that has too many members. He collects the good gym's overflow.

I stopped going to the good gym years ago because I don't like crowds and I have equipment at home and work. They're now in the process of expanding for the 3rd time. The coaches at the good gym include a former gymnast, two people with Masters degrees in exercise physiology, a nutritionist/powerlifter, an MMA fighter and an Olympic rower. These coaches make good money with many private clients and they deserve it. The have powerlifting groups, olympic lifting groups, and an endurance group. These groups have completely different programming than the regular WOD's. They coaches are willing and able to discuss individual goals in their spare time, and have open gym time for people working toward those goals. They also have connections and offer discount to excellent physical therapists and massage therapists. A few summers back two of the coaches helped train some of the kids on my wrestling team for basically no money. They're good people.

The bad gym is run by a guy who used to go to the good gym. He operates on the if-it-hurts-it-makes-you-strong strategy. I wouldn't dream of letting that goofball train me.

In other words, it can be terrible, or great. Generalizing about Crossfit is pointless, and suggests a lack of understanding. And if you just think hard exercise with heavy weights is dangerous, you probably have too much respect for a doctor who thinks walking is just as good as running.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 09-17-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    There are 7 M.D.s that work out regularly at the affiliate I go to. What exactly are your credentials?
    We have many MDs as well. Spook already said he doesn't know shit about Crossfit. Crossfit is an open book in so far as workouts and programming is concerned. His workout is undisclosed probably because he doesn't know himself.

Pretty sure spook was just bored last night and looking to stir some shit up at 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    In other words, it can be terrible, or great. Generalizing about Crossfit is pointless, and suggest a lack of understanding. And if you just think hard exercise with heavy weights is dangerous, you probably have too much respect for a doctor who thinks walking is just as good as running.
    Holy crap... I just read a quality post about CrossFit on the TGR forums. Somewhere, a Nobel prize winner must be eating Cheetos and watching Duck Dynasty in order to balance this shit out.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Most doctors receive little to no training about exercise and diet. But many have sense of authority concerning all matters of the human body.

i was going to say this but since his authority was doctors i thought i should stay on point.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rather ripped View Post
    We have many MDs as well. Spook already said he doesn't know shit about Crossfit. Crossfit is an open book in so far as workouts and programming is concerned. His workout is undisclosed probably because he doesn't know himself.
    actually i have talked several times about what i do now and who i trained with before. pay attention boner. rather ripped. that's funny.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Pretty sure spook was just bored last night and looking to stir some shit up at 2am.
    no way, man. i was just intrigued by the knee-jerk screamers.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    actually i have talked several times about what i do now and who i trained with before. pay attention boner. rather ripped. that's funny.
    Gotta ask, who'd you train with and what did you compete in?

spook Guest
    i've mentioned it many times. i'm sure you can find it. search: spook + totally ripped + 4% body fat.

Dr. goes through CrossFit level 1 cert to see if he'd recommend crossfit for his patients.
    http://drspencer.com/physician-crossfit/

Sidebar: I have an exercise science degree. While the focus wasn't specifically training, I have a solid base of understanding on what we are trying to achieve and I use the coaches to help guide me on the how to get there.

spook Guest
    i love the knee-jerk screamers

There are 7 M.D.s that work out regularly at the affiliate I go to.
    most M.D.s I know don't know shit about athletics and the rare few who were athletic pre-college gave it up for books and grades and income/status via MD accomplishment

is having 7 doctors at your gym some kind of status statement?

What exactly are your credentials?
    before you ask that kind of Q, you have to give us your credentials for Internet Forum One-Upmanship.

must be a relief to the MD-having geek who doesn't mind a woman's interest being tied exclusively to his social status & income.

MD bootlickers

id be more interested in how many ELITE athletes go to your gym
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

i've mentioned it many times. i'm sure you can find it. search: spook + totally ripped + 4% body fat.
    You ever use the search function on this site?

Natural or did you use gear? If the later I'd be interested to know your experiences, especially coming off of them. No plans on ever using myself, but it is an area of interest for me.

spook Guest
    uh, use and come off gear? what the fuck does that mean? if you have any interest in steroids and like shit you're a fucking loser and if that's common at crossfit i wouldn't be surprised. i believed and competed according to the olympic ideals that apparently don't mean much to most people. i would never cheat or intentionally try to injure anybody in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    most M.D.s I know don't know shit about athletics and the rare few who were athletic pre-college gave it up for books and grades and income/status via MD accomplishment

is having 7 doctors at your gym some kind of status statement?

before you ask that kind of Q, you have to give us your credentials for Internet Forum One-Upmanship.
    The only reason I made the comment about 7 doctors working out at my gym is because spook claimed that everyone says how bad crossfit is. I think 10 years ago there was a lot more emphasis on treatment rather than prevention. With the paradigm shift, I think you'll find that doctors are taking a much more comprehensive approach to patient care of which regular exercise is certainly a component. Because they're doctors does that make them fitness experts? Certainly not, but to say that they don't know a crap ton more about the human body than the average bear is ludicrous and they probably wouldn't be doing crossfit if they thought it was excessively dangerous.

so you identify personally with crossfit training and feel personally insulted if someone questions any aspect of crossfit?

spook Guest
    The only reason I made the comment about 7 doctors working out at my gym is because spook claimed that everyone says how bad crossfit is. I think 10 years ago there was a lot more emphasis on treatment rather than prevention. With the paradigm shift, I think you'll find that doctors are taking a much more comprehensive approach to patient care of which regular exercise is certainly a component. Because they're doctors does that make them fitness experts? Certainly not, but to say that they don't know a crap ton more about the human body than the average bear is ludicrous and they probably wouldn't be doing crossfit if they thought it was excessively dangerous.
    i didn't claim that everyone says how bad crossfit is. how could i? all you crossfit nazis are talking about how great it is.

uh, use and come off gear? what the fuck does that mean? if you have any interest in steroids and like shit you're a fucking loser and if that's common at crossfit i wouldn't be surprised. i believed and competed according to the olympic ideals that apparently don't mean much to most people. i would never cheat or intentionally try to injure anybody in competition.
    I've never done a single crossfit workout in a "box". I workout at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning. I participate in this thread because I'm interested in strength and conditioning and there is some good info and discussions here.

If you were a body builder, which to achieve 4% body fat you'd almost certainly have to be, a question about steroids, hormones and other drugs shouldn't be very surprising to you. I said I have no interest in using them myself, I am interested in the endocrine system and peoples experiences with PED's. Who said anything about hurting anyone?

If you actually read this thread, you'd see that about half the participants don't do cross fit.

i didn't claim that everyone says how bad crossfit is. how could i? all you crossfit nazis are talking about how great it is.
    i haven't heard one good thing about crossfit from anybody but people who do crossfit. everything i've read -- i haven't exactly looked -- from other trainers and medical people is negative.
    I can't even tell if you're serious or not. If you're just trolling, which you probably are, you are a sad person.