Page 123 of 141 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3510
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    60 ups. Impressive. Dead hang overhand I assume?

In response to above:
    GET ON THE BCAA TRAIN BUD
    Haha! This is the crossfit thread man. Kipping unless otherwise specified.

Quote Originally Posted by mcove View Post
    Reverse Hypers (if you have access to one),
    They don't have one at the fitness center I go so I use the 40" box. It works ok, in PT after back surgery they had me doing Reverse Hypers on the edge of a PT table or massage table.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Haha! This is the crossfit thread man. Kipping unless otherwise specified.

stop calling them pullups then
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Did a really cool new version of an exercise today that should translate really well to skiing - one legged chest passes and medball slams.

1 Leg Chest passes - Stand on one leg, hinge at the hip and push the medball off your chest directly into the wall as hard as possible while maintaining balance. Generate power by snapping your hips into extension.

1 Leg medball slams - Stand on one leg and slam the ball into the ground, maintaining balance.

We did 3x8 of each on each side as part of plyometrics.

The anti-rotation forces that your hips and core have to absorb and transmit felt very similar to skiing forces.

We also started an interesting transition tonight, we had been increasing sets and weight and lowering reps for the last 6 weeks and today started a transition to higher reps. (after having a foundation we started with sets of 8, 6, 6; then 3x6; 4x5; 5x3; and 6x2; last week was 6, 4, 3, 3, AMGRAP with last weight. All the rep schemes listed don't include warmup sets). Then today we did 3, 5, 3, and AMGRAP moving up the whole way. I went from getting 465x4 in my last set last week to 450x6 this week. The coach I'm working with thinks that in 2-3 weeks I'll be able to hit 450x9 or 10. I would consider this a huge increase as I am right around my PR now and started well below my PR.

stop calling them pullups then
    At Crossfit, it's either strict pull-ups, kipping pull-ups or butterfly pull-ups.

Not too many people can do 60 strict pull-ups. The kipping pull-up allows for more reps which offers greater met-con training. Strict pull-ups are more for strength. Crossfit does all three. Keep in mind, strength is only one component.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Did a really cool new version of an exercise today that should translate really well to skiing - one legged chest passes and medball slams.

1 Leg Chest passes - Stand on one leg, hinge at the hip and push the medball off your chest directly into the wall as hard as possible while maintaining balance. Generate power by snapping your hips into extension.

1 Leg medball slams - Stand on one leg and slam the ball into the ground, maintaining balance.
    we get in to some 1 leg stuff, more for corrective/alignment than strength i think? Seems like the 1 leg ball slams could be harder to do a fast enough squat with, so bending over more putting strain on the back? Guess i'll have to just try them tomorrow...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    we get in to some 1 leg stuff, more for corrective/alignment than strength i think? Seems like the 1 leg ball slams could be harder to do a fast enough squat with, so bending over more putting strain on the back? Guess i'll have to just try them tomorrow...
    The ball slams should put additional rotational forces on your core, especially your lower core. You won't be able to get the deep squat on one leg but you should be able to go pretty far. Emphasize moving hips forward on the chest pass and hips back on the ball slams.

Took a week off and got back last night. Coaches were stoked I took the initiative to rest my body and be proactive. 3x5 back squats, took it easy to about 55%. AMRAP 15mins 10 lunges, 15 wall balls, 200m run. Back felt tight on eccentric movements but otherwise no pain. AMRAP 15mins 10 Burpees, 10T2b, 10 box jumps. Back felt great, a little stiff at my damn desk but fingers crossed I've dodged anything too serious.

Figured I should add a little follow up to my first post in this thread which should helpfully hope serve as inspiration for others. I Just turned 34. From 1998-2012 I was on the hill about 80 days a year on average. Moved to PDX a few years ago for my first desk job and my ski days dropped off to <10 a year.

After a heinous work project that lasted from Oct. 2013 - Feb. 2014, I was starting to get a gut and the heaviest I'd ever been in my life @ 175 (I'm 5'10"). The picture on the beach is when I went on vacation to Hawaii right after the project ended. After being too out of shape to make the most of the waves in Hawaii and realizing I was getting fat, I basically said, "Fuck this!" to myself.

Coincidentally, a CF gym moved to a new location a, few blocks from my place that I'd walk or bike by everyday on my way home from work. I signed up and started on March 1st of this year and did an On Ramp class. I have been going 4-6 days a week since and did a CF 3x a week endurance class for 8 weeks in June and July along with another 2-3 days at the gym. I've been eating a ton of protein, lots of fruits and veggies, doing the Progenex thing, and cutting out sweets except maybe once a week or so, but other than that nothing too crazy. Definitely not doing full paleo or anything like that. The picture on the left is from last night. I'm now down to 160, the strongest I've ever been, and ran a 5:50 mile on a track at the end of the endurance class on a day when it was hot as balls out. People can hate all they want, but CF has been gangbusters for me. Obviously, I've got a ton I can still improve on, but so far I'm fucking stoked. Good luck to anyone else getting after it!

well done

Congrats dude. I'm in a similar boat--32, used to get 70-80 days in a year easy, then had a kid and couldn't afford a season pass or to take all the unpaid time off I used to. My experience has been that if I stay on top of things in the gym, when I do get out muscle memory kicks in and it's almost like I never left.

Skinnier and faster than me
    Zone Controller

Thanks for the props guys! Hope others realize they can do it too.

Skinnier and faster than me
    Must be all those kipping pullups, man.

After two years away from crossfit and really any type of fitness program, I'm back. I've been hurt three times in the first two weeks by not recognizing that I have no base fitness. I ride a singlespeed mtb quite a bit, but that's done nothing to keep my core strong. Sigh, it sucks letting yourself go for so long at this age.

Crossfit Workout Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Someone want to give me a brief rundown of the idea behind it and how you've seen it work?
    You do high impact, heavy weight workouts to exhaustion, often with exceptionally poor form, (and so quickly that it's tough to pinpoint what you are doing wrong)

mostly you take motions that have been used to isolate one muscle group, and get as many muscle groups involved in them as possible -- so that you can lift just a little more weight, but look damn cool doing it.

Then you get injured and wonder why.

Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Sigh, it sucks letting yourself go for so long at this age.
    Lapses in commitment are definitely punished harshly over 30. I make sure to get in at least 1 day per week of lifting heavy shit no matter what. The last couple of months it's often been tough to get even that minimum sometimes, but while I'm certainly not hitting PRs right now it's nothing like the cliff you fall off of if you stop completely.

Anyone with kettlebells tape the handle? The ones I'm used to were rough, but the one I bought on Amazon is really smooth. Worried it's going to get dropped on my floor. Chalk isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Anyone with kettlebells tape the handle? The ones I'm used to were rough, but the one I bought on Amazon is really smooth. Worried it's going to get dropped on my floor. Chalk isn't an option.
    I wear gloves for my kettlebell movements.

If you care about building grip strength, keep the handles smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMontana View Post

mostly you take motions that have been used to isolate one muscle group, and get as many muscle groups involved in them as possible
    LOL........................
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigMontana View Post
    You do high impact, heavy weight workouts to exhaustion, often with exceptionally poor form, (and so quickly that it's tough to pinpoint what you are doing wrong)

mostly you take motions that have been used to isolate one muscle group, and get as many muscle groups involved in them as possible -- so that you can lift just a little more weight, but look damn cool doing it.

Then you get injured and wonder why.

Did I miss anything?
    By "you", do you mean me? wtf. all this talk about what other people do and no mention of what you do. These Crossfit bashers make broad criticisms and offer nothing in return, Crossfit is an open book for the most part. Your post shows that you don't know and you missed one thing... the chip on your shoulder.

Why don't you save the quippy comments and say what you do for fitness. Your finger pointing amounts to little more than cheap shots.

Quote Originally Posted by rather ripped View Post
    By "you", do you mean me? wtf. all this talk about what other people do and no mention of what you do. These Crossfit bashers make broad criticisms and offer nothing in return, Crossfit is an open book for the most part. Your post shows that you don't know and you missed one thing... the chip on your shoulder.

Why don't you save the quippy comments and say what you do for fitness. Your finger pointing amounts to little more than cheap shots.
    omg you bootlicker

crossfitting is a fad.... get real
    Zone Controller

omg you bootlicker

crossfitting is a fad.... get real
    You should try the workout where you repeatedly drop a heavy weight on your head. The quality of your posts might improve.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.