Page 5 of 141 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Seriously? If so...epic!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Seriously? If so...epic!
    Oh yeah, I was feeling strong AND thirsty! Can't make any reps as to the quality on the last couple sets of ring dips tho
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Going to be spending the summer at one of the affiliates in or around Boulder, any of you guys have any personal experience with the Boulder/Denver/FoCo boxes? Looks like Front Range is pretty legit, Skip Miller's got his level 3 cert which is pretty impressive. Emergent in FoCo also seems to be putting some cool shit together. Crossfit Boulder doesn't look too bad either. Any recommendations?

Deadlift 3-3-3 reps

110-130-140kg, felt weak today

then,

Five rounds for time:
    5 muscle-ups
    20 One-arm dumbbell walking lunges, 45 lb

16:09, the vast majority of which was spent standing there trying to muster up the strength for another muscle up. ouch.

Murph

Anyone here ever do Murph?

For time:
    1 mile Run
    100 Pull-ups
    200 Push-ups
    300 Squats
    1 mile Run

Going to try today assuming my legs dont blow up from a heavy squat day yesterday.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

No...but I think most people partition the middle part Cindy style, so 20 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 squats. Seems a lot more reasonable than doing them in order. Good luck.

Pretty sure that is the tact I'm going to take as I can't do more then 20 pull ups at once without getting totally gassed and Im not a big fan of the kipping pullup. Goal is to break 45 mins.

How you can be a crossfitter and not like to kip. Does not compute.

did '1/2 Murph today' - 800m run/5 rounds of 10 pullups, 20 pushups, 30 squats/800m run.

26min 45sec.

came close to leaving some cookies on the track during the last couple of hundred meters.

Haven't really been able to do CrossFit due to my shoulder rehab'ing. Another 3-4 weeks before I feel comfortable working with kettlebells again. But ... I've been doing lots of HIIT training which I guess is some of what CrossFit is about.

So, my workouts have been, 3x a week HIIT training alternating between these types:

a) Stepmaster, 2 minutes ON at 400Watts, 2 minutes REST at 180Watts, 8-10x sets for 32 - 40 minutes total
    b) Stepmaster, 5 minutes ON at 300Watts, 3 minute REST at 180Watts, 4x sets for 32 minutes total

Looking to add more variety soon.
    One thing is for sure - Stepmaster intervals ROCK. They hurt like a bitch, suck the life out of me, but I've never been as fast skinning or biking uphill, or felt as good skiing longer lines.

More to come as my shoulder strength increases!

How you can be a crossfitter and not like to kip. Does not compute.
    Im a purist/glutton for punishment. Pull ups were always a huge weakness for me, so I've hit them especially hard over the past few years and try to use strict form. Plus - caught major shit for doing kips when I did the "300" workout.

Strict form is all well and good, but there IS a reason the default crossfit pullups are always kipping: it's more metabolically taxing. Higher power output in less time and all that. The core of the whole idea. In other words, if you can do 20 strict pullups in 1:30 and the guy next to you can do either 20 kips in 30 seconds OR 60 kips in 1:30, the dude next to you is getting more overall benefit than you are.

Strict form is all well and good, but there IS a reason the default crossfit pullups are always kipping: it's more metabolically taxing. Higher power output in less time and all that. The core of the whole idea.
    Shit. I didnt even know kips were default crossfit pullups. That might explain why my times arent better. Never did a crossfit class (just did my own schedule based on the website), but I alway felt that kips were sort of cheating yourself. I know that when I get fatiuged doing pull ups, I kick my legs to get extra reps. That is when I stop most of the time. Apparently, I shouldnt be stopping.

Yep, kip it up. There ARE some WODs that call for strict and/or weighted pullups but it's explicit when that is the case.

i find myself pausing my crossfit workouts when i either cannot breathe, or cannot hold on any longer. did towel pullups subbing for rope climbs a few days ago. rotating those with hang squat cleans, provided a new experience for a couple of days: crazy.finger.muscle.ache.

I'm sore... from what I'm not sure (skiing, laughing, working out, etc)...

Anywho, warmed up and did 7 x 1 fly on a machine maxed at 215#s

I'm a weakling. My gym is small and we're figuring out some workarounds. Tonight I teach hip hop so I get my workout from dance
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

just came across this thread, look a very very long lunch reading through crossfit's website.
    Looks like everything I have been wanting in a workout, and it the workout is put together for me!

I am going to start tonight!

I hate routine workouts, and I get lazy at updating my workout routine (or too busy) and don't enjoy my workouts on a somewhat regular basis. I also like the idea of not knowing what tomorrow holds for a workout (correct me if I am wrong here). In addition, I love minimalist workouts.

and someone made reference to srossfit. I googled it, and couldn't find anything on it. What is it? Link?

and if anyone has suggestions for getting into the program, please let me know.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Jong Fuey View Post
    Anyone here ever do Murph?

For time:
    1 mile Run
    100 Pull-ups
    200 Push-ups
    300 Squats
    1 mile Run

Going to try today assuming my legs dont blow up from a heavy squat day yesterday.
    47:56. Holy crap my legs hurt. No real issue on pull ups (20x5) or push ups (20x10). Squats were a major issue. I basically ran mile 2 in ~10 mins and, like Pedal, almost booted. Legs still burning.

Nic, sweet. Go to crossfit.com, look on the left and click on Start Here -> Brandx Scaled Workouts. Start easy and work up. The workouts are WAY harder than they look. There's demos of all the exercises on the left on the mainpage, too. Feel free to ask any questions here, too. (I think the "srossfit" was a typo).

And Hong...nice work. Did you see the mainpage today? All the fucked up pullups you could ever want.

...Did you see the mainpage today? All the fucked up pullups you could ever want.

Just took a look. After Murph, I think I'll take a break from pulls up for a few days. For Saturday:

Five rounds for time of:
    32 kg Kettlebell swings, 25 reps
    25 GHD Sit-ups
    25 Back Extensions
    25 Knees to Elbows

Dont expect knees to elbows to go well.

Nic, sweet. Go to crossfit.com, look on the left and click on Start Here -> Brandx Scaled Workouts. Start easy and work up. The workouts are WAY harder than they look. There's demos of all the exercises on the left on the mainpage, too. Feel free to ask any questions here, too.

How long did it take for you, and others, to figure out the all the workouts? For example, I watched all of the kipping pullup videos in prep for tonight.

Are all of the workouts, or for the most part, listed in the DEMO area?

I had a lot of fun with yesterday's split, already forgot, clean excercise. I loved the explosion, the force of the workout. Not only was it fun, it worked me and I felt the .

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.

I've been lurking this thread for about a month now, and this is my 3rd week taking on the workouts...and I have to say I friggin love it.

I've been lifting/training for different motives for a long time, and the randomness and the competitive vibe of the timed routines is great. Reminds me of being a kid, and playing a different sport every day. I'm sticking with this, and probably won't go back to "bodybuilding" ever again. I do agree with some earlier posts that some workouts can make it feel like you've neglected i.e. legs, cardio, abs, etc., but reading through the theories, the workouts should be complimented by playing different sports, activities, etc. On light days I'll add an exercise or two to practice form, or help improve on pull ups with negatives. Whatever I'm in the mood for.
    Updates to come, but I'll be honest...I'm in shape, but not crossfit shape.
    Routine is a few days behind the site's schedule, so:
    Today: 21 - 15 - 9 reps of
    Handstand pushups
    Dips (at a regular gym, so no rings)
    Pushups

Staring down "Murph" for next week.
    Last edited by BestofShow; 03-19-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by Nic.A View Post
    How long did it take for you, and others, to figure out the all the workouts? For example, I watched all of the kipping pullup videos in prep for tonight.
    Not all of the workouts have demos but I think all of the exercises themselves, do. You'll have to put them together to get the complete picture. There is also an active forum at www.board.crossfit.com

I go to a crossfit gym, www.crossfitmissoula.com, and our trainer is there every day. This has been invaluable for figuring out the more complex things, especially the gymnastics elements (see the website, that's me doing a muscle up on the front page today -you can also see how minimalist the gym is) and even more - the olympic lifts. Our trainer is a competitive oly lifter so it's hard to overstate how awesome that part of the program is at crossfitmissoula.

But this also means we don't follow the mainpage workouts. We do most of them at one time or another, but our competitive environment is just our gym instead of the whole world. I think that has its plusses and minuses, but I am happy there and plan to continue for quite some time.

There are crossfit gyms all over the damn place, you can see the list of affiliates on the left side of the mainpage. They are always more expensive than a globo gym but lots of globos don't have rings, oly platforms, etc. Let alone a competitive, coached environment.

And Hong Jong, that workout is pretty infamous, LOTS of people got jacked up from it. Good luck.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 03-19-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Jong Fuey View Post
    For Saturday:

Five rounds for time of:
    32 kg Kettlebell swings, 25 reps
    25 GHD Sit-ups
    25 Back Extensions
    25 Knees to Elbows

Dont expect knees to elbows to go well.
    26:02. As expected, knees to elbows didnt go well. After 3 rotations, I wound up finishing everything else except kte and did them last with pretty crappy form.

Hey Root - any suggestions for more cardio related crossfit? I've already done the one you posted on 3/14.

More cardio???? Did you not breathe hard during these workouts? I think a big part of the idea is that you can actually increase your aerobic capacity by training anaerobically.

But if you want to be competitive in endurance sports, try crossfitendurance.com