Sharp pain outside of hip

A new pain has sprouted up in the last week that's driving me nuts. When I sit down, lift my left leg and cross it over my right to put my shoe on (or move in a similar way), I get an intense, burning pain on the outside of my leg/hip about three or four inches below my waist. It's very localized and feels like it's near the surface of my skin, not deep down in the joint (at first, I thought it was just a hair caught in something - that kind of pain, only more intense). I've noticed that it's tender in that spot if I push on it. The pain subsides fairly immediately after I put my leg down, and kind of tingles for a few seconds.

I've been biking and hiking, and neither seems to trigger the pain; it's really only when I cross that leg over the other, though I have noticed it tingling a bit in that spot when I'm just sitting. But it hurts pretty bad when putting the shoe on, and generally seems like something I want to address.

Anyone ever have anything similar? I'm at a loss to explain it.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, TGR is acting slow and weird and initially said it failed to post, and now won't let me delete the other post.
    Last edited by Pegleg; 09-30-2008 at 09:34 AM.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

For those of you waiting with baited breath to hear how this comes out, I just came back from the doctor. Diagnosis: trochanteric bursitis and some related inflammation. Basically, overuse and/or irritation of the IT band near the hip and the trochateric bursa (a little cusion of fluid that provides separation between the bone and overlying tissue). I was told to ice it twice a day, take Advil, and stretch/massage the area gently. If it doesn't get better, apparently a cortisone injection is a possibility.

So there you go. Maybe someone will find this thread useful someday.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

My wife has the exact same problem. Her pain started when she fell on ice in January. She got a cortisone shot in July, doing the PT/icing/stretching/massage therapy stuff. It's really a nagging symptom and has not gone away. She can't walk far or up/down stairs without pain.

If you find something that works well to overcome and recover, let me know. Maybe it'll help my wife.

not as severe, but i had something similar to this a few years back when i started road biking a lot
    it went away, and im not sure exactly what it was attributed to, but my best guess was something along the lines of

-getting my seat height correct
    -better pedal\cleat alignment
    -better\smoother pedal stroke

iirc, i did give myself about 5 or so days of rest before hopping back on the bike when i noticed the pain

anyway
    hopefully yours is all sorted, just thought id mention this incase it helps someone
    Last edited by pechelman; 09-30-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    For those of you waiting with baited breath to hear how this comes out, I just came back from the doctor. Diagnosis: trochanteric bursitis and some related inflammation. Basically, overuse and/or irritation of the IT band near the hip and the trochateric bursa (a little cusion of fluid that provides separation between the bone and overlying tissue). I was told to ice it twice a day, take Advil, and stretch/massage the area gently. If it doesn't get better, apparently a cortisone injection is a possibility.

So there you go. Maybe someone will find this thread useful someday.
    i had similar issues. lots of stretching and yoga helped.

if its not better very quickly go for long acting steroid injection

works well. virtually no downside

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14