On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Will my ankle ever be normal again?

Its been over 3 months since I broke my ankle. I am about to have my last PT session ever on Tuesday. I still have very limited range of motion. I can ski just fine cause luckily ski boots are like a cast, but I can't run at all. When I try to run its like I have a club foot. I love running and I love soccer even more, but it seems like I am just fucked forever. My ankle is just straight up filled with scar tissue. So much so that its like the joint is packed in sand.

I stretch the shit out of it whenever I can, and the dude at PT basically wrestles with it for 45 minutes just to get it stretched out. After PT I am good for another 4-6 hours and then it locks up on me again.

I don't really know what the point of this thread is, but I am sure others have gone through the same thing and I just wonder how long till they felt close to normal again?

advres Guest
    I broke my ankle many times from skateboarding when I was younger. My right ankle is completely fuckard forever. Mine is so weak, I have to be very careful while in sneakers. I was jogging from one building to another to avoid rain a few years back (~100 yards) and my instep landed on a rock about 2" of the ground. It forced me to roll my ankle so bad I was immediately grounded. I hobbled my ass inside and laid on the floor for about 20 minutes while the pain subsided enough to limp to my car.

Having bad ankles sux. I still hurt it every year snowboarding. Not break it, but after a day of riding, I am a mess on my feet after the boots come off. Then the next day I do it all over again. Luckily I buy my boots ~1-1.5 sizes smaller than street shoes so I am really shoehorned in there.

welcome to the club. Some people tend to recover good, but not me. I am constantly worried about hurting myself when I run which is an excruciating task now so I hardly ever do it.

Take care of it from now on and maybe it won't turn out as bad as mine. It suck if you can feel the grinding in it in bed. right ankle/left shoulder grindage at night keeps me awake sometimes.

++vibes++

maybe try silicium tabs ?? bf

Yeah, I mean I pushed it kinda hard. As soon as I could bear it I switched over to a cane from crutches and then said fuck it and took off the boot a week later. Been riding my bike alot and started skateboarding again last week (theberrics.com is to blame for that).

Am I fucking retarded to go water ramping next week? I feel like the fact that I never had any pain meds throughout the last 3 months has really raised my pain tolerance and that I am pushing it too hard and just not feeling the pain as much.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I jacked (not broke) both of mine about 3 moths ago.
    One has heeled good the other is still swollen and sore.
    I still can't wear a ski boot.
    Any how swimming and running laps in the pool has helped a lot.
    Do you have a rubber strap to work mobility/strength with ?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yeah, I have a rubber strap, but I don't use it as much as I should. I try to work on my strength exercises by doing light dribbling and juggling alot in the park.

It takes longer than 3 months to gain flexibility and movement back. I had a spiral fracture in my lower leg when I was 17, and I was on crutches for 3 months, then aircast, then slow hobbling around for another 4 months. After a year I was back to decent mobility, but when I was 27 I sprained it badly again. Shorter recovery, but I think it's just par for the course for the rest of my life.

You'll prob just have to tape it and wear a sock brace whenever you have to dance like a butterfly once you're fully mobile again.

Yeah, been wearing a cheap 8 dollar sock brace, but it still swells pretty bad in it.

fucked my ankle in 1993, scope 1 in '01 and scope 2 in '03. The ankle still aches nonstop and ROM isn't as good as non-fucked ankle. I ride horses as well as ski, so that is helping some with ROM, but after an hour ride with short stirrups over fences and it takes me a while to walk well on it.

Short answer- it might not be the old normal, but a new normal.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, I mean I pushed it kinda hard. As soon as I could bear it I switched over to a cane from crutches and then said fuck it and took off the boot a week later. Been riding my bike alot and started skateboarding again last week (theberrics.com is to blame for that).
    After I realized my ankle was fuxard forever I started wearing this while skating:

It's bulky and it sucks getting used to but at least it would stop me from breaking my foot off when I was doing a 6+ stair.

Since I never went to the doctor, I have no idea what I once did to my ankle, but that foot is an EEEE wide and the other is a D.

WG - a rolfer could prolly get all the muscles stretched out and lined up so you can get them functional again.
    I think you'd see a difference in one session.

Bad ankle injuries typically take several months to get close to 100% recovered. I sprained mine BAD about 3 years ago in a climbing fall. It took a good 8-10 months before I had the same confidence as with my other side. And I'm a PT so I know how to exercise it and do it right. Give it time and I think you'll continue to see improvement. For now do whatever you can to strengthen and exercise it in a relative pain-free way. Shoot me a PM if you want some specific exercises and I'll see what I can do for you. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your injury.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post

It's bulky and it sucks getting used to but at least it would stop me from breaking my foot off when I was doing a 6+ stair.
    I have had full ankle recon after a bad MTB accident, rolled left ankle so hard to the outside the tendon sheered through the bone and tore everything in it. 6 months after surgery, could still barely walk and was getting married (in an airbrace, hightop black Vans and the Tux).

I wear this same brace when I need to on the snowboard. I don't find it as bulky in a snowboard boot, but when I wear it in a ski boot there are several pressure points that make me take it off. The boot itself works good for a "cast" though.

Since the surgery I have re-sprained it, both high and low ankle sprains 7 times. I WON'T get on a trampoline ever again, they are the antichrist to my ankle.

Each time it takes longer to heal and is easier to sprain again.

I no longer run and I was a soccer dude too. Volleyball as well, no more on the sand for sure. I shave my ankle during the winter for tape when boarding so I can avoid the brace as much as possible.

Ankles suck.

Thanks for the info. The SixSixOne brace looks to be just what I need. Hopefully one of the many dealers in town has one I can pick up tomorrow.

3 months is a very short time

lots of different types of ankle fractures. keep stretching in all directions. some yoga poses will push the rom. biking is good. i would not pound it with running just yet.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Thanks for the info. The SixSixOne brace looks to be just what I need. Hopefully one of the many dealers in town has one I can pick up tomorrow.
    Insurance picked up mine based on the PT recomend, FYI.

I want to "dance like a butterfly" (thanks bio-smear)!!

Found this thread through search. Self-diagnosed a sprained ankle late November '07 - was skiing again January. Ankle still aches more than painful and feels like there may be some scar tissue on the outside top of the ankle bone. Feels somewhat like a ball. ROM seems same as other (right) foot. Is this anything to worry about - could it be scar tissue, any exercises/yoga suggetions? I have flat feet and have always had weak ankles, so, this could be something I just need to learn to accept. Thanks . . . and hope the rest of you are getting along better!

Edit: Thought I should add that the ache occassionally moves up my shin and down through my foot - again, thanks.
    Last edited by GimpToo; 09-11-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Going to PT right now for an ankle injury I sustained a year ago. Was wakeboarding, did a big jump, rotated off axis, landed funny, foot came halfway out of the boot, toes pointed straight down, screaming with pain, ripped the foot out of the binding, couldn't put any pressure on it, finally huge pop, ankle felt a lot better. Still dealing with linger problems a year later though.

In terms of the rehab, they have me doing a lot of balance stuff. Standing on one foot throwing a weighted ball against a trampoline. If you don't have a trampoline, get a roomie to throw the ball back while he is sitting on the couch. Another thing is using the colored stretch "bands" to strengthen the surrounding muscles (all three directions, right, left, and up). Another thing is stand on a pillow with the bad foot and put your arms in front of you and your leg behind you, kinda like doing a super man on one leg. They also gave me the same brace that was pictured above. Running is a no no for at least a few more weeks while I keep building up the surrounding muscles. Hope this helps those that haven't gone to PT.

Yo M - where have you been going for PT? Any good recommendations in Boulder for good PT?
    I'm about to have surgery, supposed to start PT 3 days after surgery, wanna make sure I do some research ahead of time ...

... oh and, hook me up with some 420 for post-surgery-pain-recovery

Good luck with your ankle bro, don't despair, it might take up to a year or longer to fully heal. I tore my ligament in my foot when I was a kid, and it took me 4 years for me to fully trust my foot again.

welcome to the club. Some people tend to recover good, but not me.
    x2, welcome. It may never heal to 100% again, and if you're over the age of 24 or so I'd assume it will never be 100% and hope for the best. If you're having troubles with range of motion maybe look into something called a Dynasplint? Broke my elbow a few years back and could literally put my arm on a preacher curl bench with a 20 lb. weight in my hand and the arm would just sit there at about a 90 degree angle. Dynasplit is this weird cross between blood pressure cuffs and a hydraulic system to help straighten out your body parts while you sleep. Odd to sleep with, no doubt, but in my case it worked.

Anyways, hope you heal up!

After I realized my ankle was fuxard forever I started wearing this while skating:

I wear something similar when I am MTBing now. Seems to work well. Fucked both ankles up last year in different accidents and still can't run very well. The range of motion also makes going down stairs quite awkward at times.

They don't bother me in ski boots, but getting INTO ski boots last winter was tough. I had to have someone help me at time.

I'm wearing one as we speak. Pretty amazing brace for what it is... also much less bulky than any alternative ankle support.

PT has helped but it does take a long time to get flexibility back. I'm sitting here in a cast right now from ankle ligament reconstruction surgery last week. Basically, the joint was so unstable that I couldn't run on uneven ground without the ankle giving out and busting my ass. It doesn;t take many of those experiences to say 'fuck it' and get the surgery.

The brace seems to be helping, but getting stretched at PT was really the only thing that seemed to help. As much as I want to I gotta stop skateboarding, cause it will hurt like hell for days after.

I am trying to not rely on the brace too heavily, but doing anything without it fucking sucks.

chronic ankle sprain sufferer here. doing much better lately thanks to the DME brace and custom footsoles in all my shoes. FWIW....

i've tried 3 different types of ankle braces and the 661 brace was by FAR the WORST. the straps are paper thin and provide no additional support. i really couldn't even tell i was wearing it.

before that the first brace i tried was a McDavid lace-up which felt about 4 times more supportive than the 661. (btw, every 661 product i have tried has been crap.)

by far the best brace was recommended to me by kidwoo in the sprocket rockets (biking) forum. i wear it every day biking.
    http://www.dme-direct.com/speed-braces-exoform/

fyi the thread is here:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ighlight=ankle

the DME feels about 4 times stiffer than even the McDavid laceup. so that make 16 times more supportive than the 661. plus it was cheap.

also check out some custom footsoles for your shoes. they actually helped me to heal, rather than the brace, which only prevents further injury. i use http://www2.yoursole.com/ soles in all my shoes now. (the flipflops are awesome too).

my 2 cents.