Can a car battery be too dead to jump start?

Need some advice from car mags.

Car sitting around for 6 months, finally put FS on CL.

Jumped and ran for about 10 minutes including testing the AC. Like an idiot I turned the car off to check something. It would not restart nor could it be jumped started again.

So can the battery be so dead that it cannot be jumped? or did I fak something up.:

I'd swap batteries to test but a terminal is stripped and I'm hunting for my lockjaw pliers to take it off.

Details: car= massive Ford Expedition; car with good battery=Honda minvan
    When tried to re-jump clock reads 12:00, locks cycle on and off and then all goes dead. Weak cranking for a second followed by nothingness when starting.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bobski; 09-10-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    That's Mr. JONG to you, punk!

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Yes it can easily be discharged beyond use, especially if it was a weak battery to begin with and sat around for the last 6 months. Stratification, sulfation, and even cell reversal can easily even happen to a "maintenance free" battery in a matter of weeks if the usage and temperature conditions permit.

You can usually take it down to your local parts store to get load tested just to be sure.

Thanks BSS. I'll yank it and load test.
    I knew a battery could be too far gone to use but I thought it was maybe by passed in jumpstarting.
    The buyer was trying to knock $500 off the price, which would be fine if I killed it, but if the problem is a $50 battery then I'll hold the price.

You can also just pull one (or both) lead off the battery to make sure the messed up battery isn't screwing up the system (short or massive drain) and jump it like that. Most vehicles will run fine without a battery after jumping. Some newer vehicles will die if you remove the battery from the system while running.
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

dont need to pull it to test it.

also it's probably fcked, get a new one on the cheap. Nothing like a dead battery to kill the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    also it's probably fcked, get a new one on the cheap. Nothing like a dead battery to kill the deal.
    Yeah, good point. To me a dead battery is no biggie but when a guy pulls out the jumper cable,s and I'm on the buying end, I'd deduct more than the cost of battery for sure wondering what else is wrong. So I'm off to Kragen or whatever in the AM.

Thanks.