Suggested Rehab Exercises for Torn Meniscus

My daughter is a soccer player and has had two surgeries in two years for tears to her meniscus. Can anyone suggest good exercises she can do to really strenghten the muscles around her knee to hopefully avoid further injuries? She has access to a bowflex with leg attachment and an eliptical would either of these be a good choice? Thanks

Eliptical is a great choice to maintain cardiovascular fitness, other options would include swimming and biking. Both are low impact and deliver a good work out. Cross country skate skiing in the winter is also an awesome workout.

For weights and strengthening, make sure she is doing LOTS of single leg exercises and LOTS of balance and plyometric work. In most cases with knee injuries there is an inequality of quad to hamstring strength, so lots of single leg hammy curls on a swiss ball, lots of bosu work, split squats with raised heel, deep front squats and lunges to start...ladder drills for quick feet and agility too. I'll try and see if any of my programs are still kicking around. I have an idea where she's coming from, as I'm a 20 year old female with multiple knee surgeries myself, and after lots of rehab and strengthening I'm still able to compete at a high level. Just not so much running on cement anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Eliptical is a great choice to maintain cardiovascular fitness, other options would include swimming and biking. Both are low impact and deliver a good work out. Cross country skate skiing in the winter is also an awesome workout.

For weights and strengthening, make sure she is doing LOTS of single leg exercises and LOTS of balance and plyometric work. In most cases with knee injuries there is an inequality of quad to hamstring strength, so lots of single leg hammy curls on a swiss ball, lots of bosu work, split squats with raised heel, deep front squats and lunges to start...ladder drills for quick feet and agility too. I'll try and see if any of my programs are still kicking around. I have an idea where she's coming from, as I'm a 20 year old female with multiple knee surgeries myself, and after lots of rehab and strengthening I'm still able to compete at a high level. Just not so much running on cement anymore...
    I agree with the low impact stuff, but the rest seems a bit aggressive. I know you're very experienced with this type of injury, but I think it depends more on the type and severity of the meniscus tear. For example, my PT has never suggested "lots" of single leg exercises. In fact, I've only been prescribed one and that's in the water. Also, I've specifically been told NOT to do "deep" squats or lunges. But I'm only 6 months out, so who knows. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there is not enough info to go on for his daughter. We don't even know when she had the last surgery - could have been two weeks ago, could have been a year ago. I'd suggest talking with physical therapists who are experienced with athletes before adopting any workout program.

He asked for strengthening exercises, not rehabilitation exercises. If she ever wants to ski, or play soccer she should DEFINITELY be doing plyo and single leg work to mimic the type of action she will inevitably encounter in those sports. Failure to do so is just going to result in another knee injury when she gets off balance on one leg, or back seat. Of course, you don't just "jump full throttle" into a program, you ease into it, and start with one set of 10, if that doesnt swell or hurt too bad that night, the next day at the gym you either do 15-20 or two sets of 10, depending on what youre going for, muscular endurance or strength.

If you do all your leg work standing, and mostly close chain you're in for problems the moment you start playing sports that require balance or agility...

I'm 2.5 months and doing lots of swimming, biking, elipitcal and starting boxing again, with yoga, and LOTS of single leg stuff, mind you its pretty slow, and low rep to make sure I'm recruiting all the muscles properly. I'll be probably playing hockey by 3-3.5 months and playing games by nov.. Its a matter of how much work you want to put into it. Take it slow, and use pain as a guide.

^^^^^^What duct says^^^^^^^^^^^

Stop screwing around with you child's knee and go see a professional. ASAP

Well no shit, any physio or trainer will set her up with a program to follow, most likely encompassing lots of balance, agility and single leg work. Its pretty hard to screw things up if you have half a brain and stop when it hurts. I doubt anyone without lots of experience would be able to pull a full sport specific strengthening program out of their ass without seeing a professional.

Most of the studies I've read about SPECIFIC YOUNG TEENAGE FEMALE KNEE INJURIES is that their quads are too strong in ratio to their hamstrings, and that they don't do enough balance or agility work, especially not single leg work, which sets them up for injury the moment they're off balance, make contact, or get fatigued.

Especially if she's already doing active sports, like soccer or skiing. How much more injury to her knee can she do in the gym, a controlled environment doing some quick feet drills and balance board work? Or single leg bosu step ups? Especially if she has a previously injured knee odds are IF she does any weight training she probably favors it, therefore negating the effect of the weight training. Doing single leg exercises is the best way to control muscle recruitment, and make sure you're doing it properly and effectively.