Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zag Skis

Zag Skis

Anyone have any experience with this brand of skis? Made in France and all the vendors are in Europe, I'm curious if anyone has skied them. I tried a search but "Zag" is too short
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

II have a pair of Freeride Gold 201's from 2 seasons back. Lotsa shape, nice and turny but I could never quite figure out how to ski them. Maybe I'm not man enough. Are you?

They are for sale!

i've got a couple of pairs of the b.b. (before bankruptcy); big 84's and gold 93's. they're relaunching this year with some new investors and their new models are apparently pretty sweet (especially the slap and the H112). the older styles have tons of sidecut but in the 'dual radius, long tip' mode that everyone and their mother is now copying. if they're skied with a lot of angulation, they're stupid fun in anything soft and you can use the mid-back of the ski to straightline if need be. beware tho, they really only like a two footed stance and not tons of speed. their new stuff will be a bit more conventional in terms of sidecut, but will still have the long rise 'tip rocker'.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

I never could find a pair with enough sidecut.

A friend has next years Slap. Skied them for a few runs this winter.

Decent off piste, lots of sidecut, lots of camber, but a bit more stable than you might think. Very light, jibby, pop off everything feel.

Hopeless on groomers though. Inside ski got carried away a few times, not really capable of carving and quite unpredictable.

I would not buy a pair of Slaps, but to be fair, they´re quite different from the original thinking behind Zag which was real progressive for it´s time. If you´re looking for a Zag-type ski in Yurp, you might want to look into Black Crows skis, I´ve heard nothing but praise for their products. (Couldn´t find their site, but some info here: http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/...8/black-crows/ )
    Last edited by SiSt; 09-09-2008 at 02:48 AM.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

first generation zags were insanely soft and IMVHO tips had too much of a size difference between tips/tails and ski center (that's the sidecut, right, but I'd like to write this way), so tips/tails floated way better than the ski center and that was not so nice in deep pow. Never tried second generation so have no opinion....

My only experience was with first generation Zags (very easy in soft snow, weird on hard snow. Cruisers you needed to get used to. Not my cup of tea, but interesting).
    This type of design is also found with blackcrows indeed, but also with some Scott. The Mission is very Zag-like, albeilt stiffer.
    Last edited by philippeR; 09-09-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

nice comment about the mission, philippe, you're right the mission has the right sides of the zags (particularly the nice shovel) without the worst defects

I have tried the H112 a few seasons ago (kind of doubt they have made any changes on it)... And it is a beast, straight (as far as Zags go) and stiff. Around 9 on Marshalls scale.

Spanked my sorry arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Lightbulb ZAG Skis

ZAG, had a new start last year, after some financial issues.

Although ZAG has currently no dealer in the US, for those interested in having access to the new 2008 models and or learn more on how to ski ZAG skis, please contact Guillaume or franck at the following e mail addresses (franck.b@zagskis.com / guillaume@zagskis.com).

Vincent

Bumping this to the top. Any new info on them since '08? Anyone had a chance to ski them last winter?

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=zag&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10 &lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=tetongravity. com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=& as_nhi=&safe=images"]zag site:tetongravity.com - Google Search[/ame]
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm a bit of a jong, but I still know to hit the google first. I was hoping for some first hand comments from the fine folks here on TGR. There's nothing on the interwebs (or a TGR-specific search) from anytime more recent than end of the 2008 season. They've totally revamped their entire lineup but I haven't found a single review that I would consider "unbiased."

Hugh Conway Guest
    So ski them and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    So ski them and report back
    I've got 2 pairs coming to me right now. Slaps (fattest they got) and the Purist Light which is gonna get a pair of Silvretta 500's (when I can find them) so I can wear my ski boots to use as an ultralight approach ski.

Review coming when winter finally hits.

Julien Lopez competed on Zag skis this weekend in the first round of FWT, here in El Colorado - Chile. He broke the right ski after hitting a stone in his first (BIG!) air in the final run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post
    Julien Lopez competed on Zag skis this weekend in the first round of FWT, here in El Colorado - Chile. He broke the right ski after hitting a stone in his first (BIG!) air in the final run.
    He did ride for them all winter too

I've Skied the Zag slaps in Jackson Wy for the past three years as my everyday skis... and i work at a local shop and have consistently compared them against Lines, Rossi, and K2. The H112 beat me up a little bit for an everyday ski. I would recommend the Slap for any one looking for a playful poppy responsive ski. I skied the Slap side by side with the S7 and found them to be very similar, but ended up choosing the Slap as I felt the tails were stiffer, more stable at speed and have a lighter swing weight. If you are in the area and looking to try them please contact me, or if you are looking to order a pair I can help out as i have been in contact with them quite a bit.

Julien Lopez has skied on them for several seasons. He's rocking the H112 which sounds like a slightly rockered rossi b-squad from back in the day. And he kills it on those things. He's there franchise skier. I couldn't think of anyone that skis them. He skis hard and goes big, and has definitely broken a few in various comps. As far as construction goes, I've never skied them, but the few pairs I've fondled have left me impressed. I was never interested though because a) there were/are no US distributors and b) they are oddly sized in relation to the amount of sidecut they have.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

my friend emery skis jags and is not satisfied in the deep or chundra,
    big tip with skinny trunk just looks weird
    tell us what you think
    bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Sgiannone View Post
    I've Skied the Zag slaps in Jackson Wy for the past three years as my everyday skis... and i work at a local shop and have consistently compared them against Lines, Rossi, and K2. The H112 beat me up a little bit for an everyday ski. I would recommend the Slap for any one looking for a playful poppy responsive ski. I skied the Slap side by side with the S7 and found them to be very similar, but ended up choosing the Slap as I felt the tails were stiffer, more stable at speed and have a lighter swing weight. If you are in the area and looking to try them please contact me, or if you are looking to order a pair I can help out as i have been in contact with them quite a bit.
    This helps a lot. Glad to get some info on this brand.

I just contacted Zag directly to get some info on the skis that are being sold as 2nds on Ebay for steep discounts. They told me that they are not just cosmetic blems, but are real 2nds that shouldn't be on the market, that they are to be avoided.

I wondering, though, if anyone has had any experience with either Zag's new Big or Thor models? Zag's graphics are done by Bruno Prata, so they look good. But how they ski is the real issue. Anyone?

^^^^Did the Zag folks say what, exactly, was wrong with the seconds on eBay? I was thinking of picking up some Purist Light for a long/spring tour ski. Thanks.

I contacted Zag in France. The CEO told me that the heavily discounted Zags on Ebay should have been destroyed and not on the market. They did not certify them due to bad quality. So, I take that to mean that they may be unreliable skis. Live to fight another day. Buy something else.
    Last edited by charles martel; 01-26-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Is Stephan still running the company?