• Volkl Kuro

12 48.00%
  • Amplid Cholesterone R.C.

1 4.00%
  • Atomic Big Daddy

2 8.00%
  • Black Diamond Mega Watt

10 40.00%

Another Pick A Ski Thread: Big Daddy/BD Megawatt/Kuro/Amplid Cholesterone R.C.

yeah so you all read my earlier threads im sure about finding a dedicated pow ski for the upcoming season.

5'8 175.

pow.trees, 15 ft hucks or less

i have some volkl bridges for crap days, yeah i wish they were goats, but they aint, and i like em, so fuck off...

i had a huge variety of skis that i looked into, read the variety of posts and reviews about them, finally all the superwide proponents got me to focus on a 125mm+ ski. Midas well go all the way and get something thats super fat.

so focused in a few skis...

Big Daddy 190 125 mm
    Megawatt 188 125mm
    Volkl Kuro 185 132mm
    Amplid Cholesterone R.C. 184 126 mm

so far I got kuro on the top of the list, mainly because theyre the only one of those skis that ive read some comprehensive reviews about and they've all been sick. everyone says its versatile for its size, some say it skis narrower....just lots of good talk, but the others on the list seem to fit the things im looking for....

this is a powder ski first, huck ski second, but i'd like to cut back on the overthe handle bars feeling....I get a bitchload of that on the bridges, and OBVIOUSLY a huge part of that is altering my methods and learning to sit back some on a landing....but from reviews i read here on all skis, certain ones have a tendency to produce that more than others...

so i'll open it up to the forums, i tried to write with as little jong fodder as possible but ill expect some anyway.....but shoot the shit on these four skis...

the megawatt has a thread going now so ill expect to here less about these...anyway, rock on, Btw its cold and rainy in boulder right now, so maybe gods bringing some white stuff above 8000ft in the mtns....weather.com feels like 34 degrees in vail/breck

btw.....im not really feeling the full reverse reverse just yet.

peace
    Last edited by volklpowdermaniac; 09-08-2008 at 03:12 AM.

i know nothing of amplid, but other than that, you are looking at three very different skis. atomic bd's are for all-out CHARGING. bd mw's are going to be very versatile (hear good things about float, high speed run-outs, and carving), but somewhat conventional with only a rockered tip. and the kuros are also going to be pretty versatile, but in a more progressive, slarvey way. pick whichever feeling you are after

Quote Originally Posted by lukc View Post
    i know nothing of amplid, but other than that, you are looking at three very different skis. atomic bd's are for all-out CHARGING. bd mw's are going to be very versatile (hear good things about float, high speed run-outs, and carving), but somewhat conventional with only a rockered tip. and the kuros are also going to be pretty versatile, but in a more progressive, slarvey way. pick whichever feeling you are after
    yeah, if the the bds are for "hard charging", are probably last on my list, i'll just come out and admit im a huge pussy, im not doing much HARD CHARGING in the sense that some of the big dogs on here are....obviously skiing fast and hard is fun, but i spend most time in bounds on the pow at resorts (for the breif time that it lasts) and some side country at resorts....but not much huge long charging open runs, although i would obviously like to expand to that as my skiing gets better and i get more opportunity to explore "true backcountry'

still the amplid has me intrigued...and the kuro of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Campo View Post
    Only reason I woulod buy a Volkl is if you want them to fall apart in the first month that you have them...

Good skis, but their manufacturing quality SUCKS!
    yeah, i mean i've had a set of karmas and now bridges, and some ac3s before that. they all seem to take some major damage to the topsheet pretty quick, but it seems to be purely asthetic, or at least from what i can tell with my limited tech background

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Campo View Post
    Only reason I woulod buy a Volkl is if you want them to fall apart in the first month that you have them...

Good skis, but their manufacturing quality SUCKS!
    Care to explain? Last year's Katana owner maybe? First year Gotama owner? They've had their troubles just like everyone, but for what it's worth I think they make some of the sickest skis going and take much more abuse than many others out there. It's also worth mentioning, if they do have issues they have a solid warranty dept.

My vote... just sack up and get the Kuros before they're all gone. One thing Volkl is known for is running out of high demand skis early in the season. You'd have two great skis for the two primary types of riding you enjoy.

I have a email into ptex for the kuros so I want to see what he can do for me and obviously I'd rather support a loyal TGR guy then a some random store, but if some time goes by and I can't get them cheap I'll just go down and grab a pair from the store.

in the mean time, I wanted to just feel out these skis....man really no one has any experience on the Amplid's>

strange.

I'd go big daddy all the way. One of the best flexing skis I've ever been on.

is there another wide ski at least 115mm+ with the same or close to it, tip to tail ratio as the amplid....which is 145 to 141...

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    is there another wide ski at least 115mm+ with the same or close to it, tip to tail ratio as the amplid....which is 145 to 141...
    I believe the new Libtec NAS reCurve has similar tip tail dimensions.

word. im reading about it now, trying to figure out what the amplid will ski like without a review....what a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    line sir francis bacon

FYI

FYI, got an email from amplid rep:

"The Cholesterone RC is not a super soft ski.
    The EP Pro, Sir Francis Bacon are by far softer.

A good ski to compare with is the K2 Made 'n AK/Hellbent. But the Chol RC is
    maybe a bit stiffer overall."

food for thought.

Liberty Double Helix

if ptex is able to hook it up, im going kuros. if not, im gonna getthe amplid's.

talking to the amplid people, and some people over at newschoolers, heard nothing but positives. It will be fun to get on a ski that not many people have tried, a little mysterious, but fun.

so we'll see in the next couple weeks how the pricing comes in.