JJ vs S7, any first hand?

while waiting for news from DPS and PMGear, I'm thinking about armada JJ vs Rossi S7. I've only seen the S7, and was intrigued by the shape, the flex and reports of surprising hold on ice. Did anyone try both?

No first had experience, but I have gotten the impression that the S7 is gonna be better all around from what I've read and been told. I heard that the JJ is decent as well, but it seems to me like it may be a bit more pow specific. If I had a choice between those two, and was planning on using it for more than just deep days, I would prob go for the S7... but this is all speculation.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

what other skis are in your quiver?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    what other skis are in your quiver?
    too many to count.
    but, you know, what looks sexy in this second generation of skis further developing the "lotus 120 concept" is their potential to be used with fun in either soft and hard snow. Whether it's real beef or marketing, it remains to be clarified, and first hand reports are crucial

Quote Originally Posted by GoEhuge View Post
    No first had experience, but I have gotten the impression that the S7 is gonna be better all around from what I've read and been told. I heard that the JJ is decent as well, but it seems to me like it may be a bit more pow specific. If I had a choice between those two, and was planning on using it for more than just deep days, I would prob go for the S7... but this is all speculation.
    I picked up some 185 JJ's tonight, and while they have a softer, but not noodle flex in the tip and tail (good for float), the sidecut portion underfoot is fairly stiff and supported by a semi-vertical sidewall. After handflexing them I think they will be pretty solid on the groomers and hard stuff. I havent held the S7 yet, but judging from pictures I'll go out on a limb and say the JJ will be the poor man's S7. We'll have to wait for the snow to fly to see if that has any basis beyond MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by skibumnh View Post
    I picked up some 185 JJ's tonight, and while they have a softer, but not noodle flex in the tip and tail (good for float), the sidecut portion underfoot is fairly stiff and supported by a semi-vertical sidewall. After handflexing them I think they will be pretty solid on the groomers and hard stuff. I havent held the S7 yet, but judging from pictures I'll go out on a limb and say the JJ will be the poor man's S7. We'll have to wait for the snow to fly to see if that has any basis beyond MSRP.
    Do you think you could measure the effective edge and weigh them. Maybe a comparison in stiffnes to some other skis as well. Think a lot of people are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by skibumnh View Post
    I picked up some 185 JJ's tonight.
    Are you sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    Not sure if I get it. Is this a reference to the fact that they measure shorter than 185?

Quote Originally Posted by PNyberg View Post
    Do you think you could measure the effective edge and weigh them. Maybe a comparison in stiffnes to some other skis as well. Think a lot of people are interested.
    I'll try and get you this tonight.

I thought they were 188 actually.

I thought they were 188 actually.
    http://www.armadaskis.com/product/skis/jpju.php

185, but they measure ~2cm shorter.

I stand corrected--guess I should have actually checked the Armada site. All the reviews I had read said 188.

I stand corrected--guess I should have actually checked the Armada site. All the reviews I had read said 188.
    Its alright I made the same mistake, I think the confusion comes from some of the shops out there still listing last years lengths with this years model.

The s7 has a wider shovel... 145 vs 136 on the JJ. So, Im not convinced that the JJ would be better described as the "more pow specific" of the two skis. I didn't get to try them out, as Im still doing knee rehab... but my buddies who rode both loved both... and most seemed to think that the JJ had the slight advantage on groomers over the S7. They also said the JJ is better for riding/landing switch (not that we care about riding switch).

in terms of what it "feels " like - the JJ is the lightest, quickest pow ski this cat has made turns on - (having not skied it, the s7 shares similar construction with the s6/s5, which i have skied) the s7 is likely "beefier, damper, soliderer", however you want to say it, than the JJ..

so if you tend to haul ass and blow shit up, lean towards s7 - if you tend to finesse it and schteez it lean towards the JJ

thats what i think..

Millfiger, you been on any reverse reverse? H x

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    my buddies who rode both loved both... and most seemed to think that the JJ had the slight advantage on groomers over the S7. They also said the JJ is better for riding/landing switch (not that we care about riding switch).
    interesting, thanks....

Did some measuring tonight. The 185 JJ's measue 183.5 tip to tail and the effective edge length is roughly 120cm. This ski is definitely going to favor tight spots and shorter turns.