Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    No.

It is more amperage than needed (which is never a problem for a device).

The problem you are thinking of is if you put a 30 amp load on a 12 guage wire, the wire can melt and cause a fire since the 30 amp breaker won't trip.
    But you can always put a 20 amp load on a 8 gauge wire and 30 amp breaker with no probelms.

In theory if there is a short in the appliance, and you are expecting a 20amp breaker to trip, and it doesn't, resulting in a fire because the internal wires in the appliance are too small.
    But, every appliance has small wires inside it, that are suited for the intended amperage draw of the appliance.

Ever plug a 2 watt device into a 20amp 110volt outlet? all the time.

ever wire a low wattage light fixture into a 15 amp circuit and notice that the 14 gauge house wiring was being connected to a 22 gauge thin strand of wire? all the time.
    Its O.K.

the original design had a 110v plug on a 220v appliance. How did that work?
    Perhaps there was a 20amp breaker in the appliance to protect the 110v plug, but I doubt it.

The more likely concern is that there isn't a neutral and a ground in the 220v box.
    Only recently in the US did electric stoves change to 4 wire plugs. That is why I said have someone that knows what to look for take a look at it first.

Bottom line to answer your concern, it is not a fire hazard.

It may not be kosher by the electrical code, but that its not unsafe if done right.
    Saw my mistake after you wrote that. Yep, way to much electric for a dryer. The only way to hook a higher voltage to a lower voltage would be if you had a resistor inline to drop the voltage. If there is no resistor then there will be a fire.

Custom adapters are available in the market. You can easily purchase it according to your old one.
    Auto Carpet Extractor

wow, can I use this on my delorean too?

Does the current 220 dryer plug have 3 or 4 brass prongs?

4 means you have 2 hots, neutral and ground.

3 means you have 2 hots and a ground.

You should really add a new receptacle box for the washer - most electric dryers are on a 30 amp circuit. When the dryer is set to high heat, it can pull close to 30 amps. If you are washing clothes at the same time and the washer is on the same circuit as the dryer, you can run into problems with the circuit breaker tripping.

If you are dead set on tapping the dryer circuit, then what you want to do is tap one of the hots (red or black wire - doesn't matter which but only one of these, not both) and the neutral and ground (4 prong) or just the ground (3 prong). Run these into a new receptacle box and wire the receptacle as appropriate.

thanks, but we solved this problem in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    thanks, but we solved this problem in 2008
    well? what did you end up doing?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...