Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

TR's: 08 Fall Days Afield

Like last year, but for this year. Please feel free to add your contributions as you have them. Fair warning: pictures of dead stuff contained herein.

It may not be fall just yet for many, but it is here.

Took last week off for a hunt out by the Wrangell Mountains.
    We hiked in a ways then set up our rafts for a little Class 2+ adventure (with about 50# of gear and rifles on the front).

This creek feeds into the Nabesna River. Both were running really high - 4 GIs were in a canoe later the same day, on this creek, and pinned the boat eventually losing all of their gear and the boat having a rough night out and a long walk back.

The river was dangerous with large eddies and plenty of trees being swept down. Not that much fun in a loaded 5' raft, but we got there.

After a bit of glassing

and lot of this

in terrain like this

I was rewarded with this...

She gave me first dibs as it was my first sheep hunt.

After a fun night wrapped up in a mylar space blanket like a Poptart, we managed to get all the meat down, then enjoyed a fine evening with some coyotes making noise. But some marinated backstrap on a stick over a campfire with a nip of Jameson makes it all worthwhile.

After some more shuttling across the numerous river channels we waited for the SuperCub to pick us up - which was easily the most worthwhile $225 I've ever spent.

I got the sheep one peak behind this one and eventually brought the meat down the gold scree streak in the middle of the face.

Nice. It looks like a really good time was had...the kind that are even better after a few days back home.

Thanks for sharing.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

The river was really hazardous but the sheep is still alive !! Anyways, it was nice to watch from different angle.. Thanks for sharing.

Hunting season hasn't started here, unless you count mourning doves, but I took my dog and my parents dogs out to run on some grouse run and for a swim. We came accross some grouse so fighting the heat, bugs and leaves were worth it.

Nice work!

Good looking curls too.
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

Congratulations on the harvest
    I am jealous, only a few weeks until season open here.

Just returned from a 3 days scouting trip in eastern Nevada in the Ruby Range, got lucky and drew a buck Mule deer tag for October 5-20. Pretty psyched psyched with the draw and the units. Hunt TR to follow!
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Fun looking hunt too, what an awesome adventure and nice looking animal. How many days were you out for, range of the shot, etc?
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

This falls deer hunts in Michigan's lower pennisula should be interesting... CWD was found on a deer farm and in response the MDNR has banned ALL baiting in the lower. Rumor has it they are not scr3ewing around and have already handed out several $1000 (yes, 3 zero's!) tickets... Hopefully it will lower the number of carrot pile "gomers" and folks will actually relearn the "hunt" part of hunting.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Fun looking hunt too, what an awesome adventure and nice looking animal. How many days were you out for, range of the shot, etc?
    Thanks LT, we were out for a week. float day - scope day - rain day - kill - haul - chill - fly out.
    Had all sorts of rifle issues - 1st "shot" was at 7 meters (yes I wrote that correctly), but the gun only clicked - scrambled to pull the cartridge out and load another round, the scope had also come loose from its mount - long story. That is what I get for using a gun with some issues from the mid-1960s that wasn't designed for the rigors of sheep hunting - but hey it was a free rifle. Should have just used a bow. The kill shot was at 50 m, the ram walked another 10 m then fell over.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Thanks LT, we were out for a week. float day - scope day - rain day - kill - haul - chill - fly out.
    Had all sorts of rifle issues - 1st "shot" was at 7 meters (yes I wrote that correctly), but the gun only clicked - scrambled to pull the cartridge out and load another round, the scope had also come loose from its mount - long story. That is what I get for using a gun with some issues from the mid-1960s that wasn't designed for the rigors of sheep hunting - but hey it was a free rifle. Should have just used a bow. The kill shot was at 50 m, the ram walked another 10 m then fell over.
    I presume that the bighorn tastes like a gamey mutton? Nice looking animal!

This thread rocks.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

YAAAAAARG! Nice sheep dude!

Finally after a long and much too hot summer, indeed the season is upon us. Took the Sue monster out for opening day and decided to head to the mountains for grouse instead of the plains for dove as always a fine time was had. Thankfully at least this time we didn't run into any porkies of course I have no idea if this is cus Sue learned his lesson or just didn't find any. But...we did find some grouses, ended up with two although one was really young. The young ones have exceptionally white meat...sorta vealish I'd say

Had a frustrating start with my first two loops ending in blanks, including my one covert where I always (not anymore) see birds. But they were nice little walks regardless. And luckily on our third loop we ran into a covey where I took the first bird of the day and then on the way back to the truck picked up a single from the same. All in all not a bad bit of work. Stayed nice and cool all day which was a good bonus for me.

Oh and overnight there was a little snow clinging to some trees around loveland pass.

On the way home I found a new duck hunting spot.

Sunrise:

A really cool fungus I found growing on the root of a toppled tree:

Taking a little midday dip:

And finally our neighbor's dog Izzy a full grown mutt of some sort who is a total "Mini Me" to Sue:
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

I've seen plenty turkeys (and mushrooms-though they were fukt by bugs) whilst surveying a new 10-15 mile MTB traverse I been working on.
    Also had some comical relief watching a bull elk nonchalantly mosey about his business just a hundred yards below the road the ominous hunters prowled back and forth... never to get out of their trusty SUV. Not too much sign of as many as I would've expected for the turf.
    I have the feeling I'll be helping my friend pack some out later after some of the "off the beaten path" spots we found.

edit to add: How come all the "similar threads" at the bottom are mntlion's Pantagonia outlet Dillon specials?

HELL YEA Wrangle Mt. Sheep with Alpaca... great hunt dude...
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    turkeys (and mushrooms-though they were fukt by bugs) whilst surveying a new 10-15 mile MTB traverse I been working on.
    hey buddy ole pal good friend of mine
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

What all can you do with that big sheep, besides the obvious head trophy and delicious meat? Do you try to use the whole thing or is that not how folks do it these days? Excuse my city slicker hunting jongness.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Not a hunter or a fisherman, but here's my "winter must be coming tale..."

The butter we normally keep on the kitchen counter has been nice and soft for my spreading pleasure.

But alas! Yesterday when I went to make some toast, the butter was HARD like it was straight from the fridge!! MMmm, nighttime temps even in the valley are hovering around freezing!

Last edited by tkm5337; 09-03-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Saw this guy just down the road from my house today.

Man, I'm reaady for fall...

Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    hey buddy ole pal good friend of mine
    If there's Hamm's involved, and maybe a couple of those tomatos, I'll point you in the direction. Course, the week and even day I kept almost runnin over 'em was right before the season opened... C'mon up.

WI Opening Weekend of the 2008 Ruffed Grouse Season

It's been a long time coming, but here is my first grouse hunting TR 0f the season.

The weather was wet all weekend but that didn't dampen our spirits. My lab, Summit and I headed to our cottage Friday night with thoughts of bagging some grouse.

We rose early Saturday morning to a rain. I gave my dog some food and then fed myself some oatmeal as we waited for the rain to stop. After a while the rain let up but never quite quit. Oh well we packed up and headed down the road.

First spot was and area where we had success in the past.

Summit was ready to go.

We hunted the cover well, but didn't see much at all.

After a while we took a break at the bottom of a dry creek bed.

We weren't having luck so we moved to another spot. Summit began to hunt.

Once again we came up empty. We tried another area, but the rain came down heavier and forced us to call it a day early.

After a hearty meal of Chili John's Chili I rested for the evening with my dog.

Sunday morning came and this time there was only a mist. I cleaned the cottage, grabbed my gear and followed Summit out the door. We tried a few more spots.

first spot was fairly unproductive. Only one flush and I never saw the bird. As we were leaving the area we came upon a nice buck.

With the cool sighting past us we decided to try a new area.

As we got further in the cover began to improve.

After one flush with no shot I was starting to get confident. Summit was out in front quartering perfectly when she stopped to my right. Now I generally don't call my dogs stops before the flush a point without using parenthesis, but this time it was an actual point.

Her tail was at the 10 o'clock postition and her head and neck were out stretched. I silently moved into a good position for a shot and then just watched her. After a short time to enjoying her point I told her to "hunt it up" and she ran forward about 20 feet and flushed the grouse.

The flush and shot happened quickly, but I can still vividly remember it. I could see the fanned out tail perfectly and took aim as I was swinging the barrels from right to left. As soon as I shot the bird went down and Summit was hot on its tail. No hesitation and she retrieved it to the heel position and to hand.

This entire sequence was what I had always dreamed about with my dog. From the perfect search to find to shot to retrieve. No doubt I will remember this one for a long time.

After another flush with no shot we tried another spot.

Even though we were wet Summit still went on.

This time we had a few flushes, but I couldn't connect. We also ran into several woodcock, which while not in season still provided plenty of entertainment for Summit.

The rain soon came down harder and forced us to quit for the day, but not before I was able to get a picture of my dog and myself with our trophy of the day. Self timers aren't perfect, but here it is.

Another memorable opening grouse hunting weekend with my dog. I hope to have many more.
    Last edited by Grange; 09-15-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Three generations enjoying our first bird hunt together.

BB RidgeKid finally got his hunter education course finished between kayaking and skiing so my father and I take him out on his first bird hunt. With the help of my dad's 6 month old french brittany named Dandi, the Kid gets three shots off at some hungarian partridge and realizes it's not quite so easy.

My son practicing throwing up the shotgun. Nice area especially with no rattlesnakes or grizzlies to worry about.

So far all the animals are safe.

I was the only lucky shot today. It's been probably 15 years since I've bird hunted. Now I remember how much fun it is especially watching a dog working. Our 6 month old chocolate lab will join us shortly. Forgot there is a 3 week recovery from spaying. The two pups hunting together will probably be total chaos!

My dad praising the pup. He's also been doing all the legwork securing places to hunt.

The Kid and Dandi working the cover.

Cool old out building just waiting for the wind to take it down.

Nice!
    My gf just rang and said she is coming home with a caribou.
    Headed out Sat morning and is returning tonight after packing out a bull. We are stocked for the winter, hell yea!

As a temporary Welshman I would like to express my outrage at the killing of my people's most sacred of animals

Finally, got out this weekend for a few hunts. No pictures but we gave some teal and dove a little bit of hell! Thanks for everyone giving this thread some bumpage, always nice to see what everyone else is doing.