Thread: Ohhhhh Effff...

Ohhhhh Effff...

I'm wondering how I get better knees, does anyone have a solution?

I'm getting my knee scoped (for the 3rd time-same knee as my ACL injury) next Thursday. I have been diligently biking for the last 4 years to keep my knees great (plus yoga, some plyos, stretching...etc) so I won't have these problems.

I cried in my damn doctors office cause I was so mad. I know a scope is not a big deal, but in my mind I have worked so hard for a long time to prevent this kind of stuff.

He also said I have early stages of arthritis. Someone said I should start taking a supplement, it would help the aching I feel. Do any of you take something like this?

I'll be fine in 4-6 weeks, but I've been biking a lot and am now climbing things I wasn't early in the summer and getting REALLY comfortable on my big bike for shuttles and lift served.

Edit: I'm in a much better mood now. This scope is for torn meniscus and scar tissue floating around from my previous surgery.
    Last edited by altachic; 08-27-2008 at 08:04 PM.
    you sketchy character, you

Damnit! Shitty news sucks to hear! Stay strong, I know it can be frustrating, but breaking down doesn't help anything. Any idea what the issue is this time around? You've BTDT with the scopes, just another day in the office!

I've always heard Glucosimine Condroitin is the supplement that helps. Hopin for the best! +++ vibes +++
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

Not really the same thing, but my 88 year old grandmother has been taking Glucosamine supplements for about a year for her bad hips and knees and has been able to cut her pain meds in half.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

I have had good luck with glucosamine+chondroitin for my old, gimpy but uncut knees. Biggest drawback is the pills are f'in hudge and hard to choke down.

Vioxx and Celebrex are great anti-inflammatories for the arthritis, but got a bad rep due to possible assoication with heart attacks (or something similar). Some docs still prescribe it for people who give informed consent. You may want to check out the trade offs for yourself and talk with your doc.

Good luck

curiosity question...how do you know/what are the signs/symptoms for a meniscus tear?

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    I have had good luck with glucosamine+chondroitin for my old, gimpy but uncut knees.
    2nded.

Sorry to hear, Liz. At least the scoping shouldn't keep you from skiing this season! How long for it to heal?

Unhappy

Jebus Liz! I hope things go real smooth. Do you have a cryocuff?

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    I'm wondering how I get better knees, does anyone have a solution?

I'm getting my knee scoped (for the 3rd time-same knee as my ACL injury) next Thursday. I have been diligently biking for the last 4 years to keep my knees great (plus yoga, some plyos, stretching...etc) so I won't have these problems.

I cried in my damn doctors office cause I was so mad. I know a scope is not a big deal, but in my mind I have worked so hard for a long time to prevent this kind of stuff.

He also said I have early stages of arthritis. Someone said I should start taking a supplement, it would help the aching I feel. Do any of you take something like this?

I'll be fine in 4-6 weeks, but I've been biking a lot and am now climbing things I wasn't early in the summer and getting REALLY comfortable on my big bike for shuttles and lift served.

Edit: I'm in a much better mood now. This scope is for torn meniscus and scar tissue floating around from my previous surgery.

Bummer AC. I know how you feel. The supplement route can help some but don't expect miracles. If the arthritis thing is the trouble ask your doc about the joint lubricant injections. I had a series done last summer and my knee is still feeling pretty good. I'm considering doing it again about 6 wks before ski season.

Good luck next wk.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Take the gloucosimine....it hasnt been proven that the body absords it, but it cant hurt.

Thats what every doc has told me. Now I take it and I dont notice anything different really...they still creak and squeak...pains there after high activity or long times squatting....

Sucks..

good luck with the scope...you'll be back in no time.

Cock Injection (RCI)

Rooster Comb Injection is magic

a series of 3 shots that last over 6 months without side effects (unlike a cortisine shot)

it really is amazing, and works instantly.

**BUT, be prepared for 4-6 hours of pain following the first injection, I thought I had a bad reaction to cock injection***

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    What about old-fashioned weight training two or three times per week? Nothing more that traditional squats done correctly, with zero tolerance for putting any weight on your back, all effort on the legs.

Start with a low weight, and get someone who knows exercise physiology or rehab physiology to get you started out right. Or else you build and learn bad habits.

I've been faithfully lifting weights for over a year now. I started doing some balance lunges as part of my routine 6 months ago and it's gotten to the point where I can't do those, it hurts too much.

Weights have been a part of my routine for a long time and it's a bummer that it hurts now. It will get better after the scope though, I know it!

FWIW: Been there. I was so fucking mad last winter. But it worked out. My doc said stop with the yoga and weights, just concentrate on cycling.

>>>>hugs<<<<
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

A.C., good luck girl. Keep on the biking and suppliments. As others have already said, they may help some. They helped me out.

Tomorrow morning, 9:30am is the surgery.

Kinda stoked to have a knee that will work after this...

Good luck on the scoping and I hope you are back to 100% as quickly as possible.

What kind of NSAID meds are you on? Arthrotec/diclofenac is better than straight up ibuprofen, and it comes in topical and oral... Also, try taping for patellar femoral, I find that cuts my pain in half too, just to have the knee cap stabilized. Other than that, just gotta grin and bear with the pain... try being told you have degenerative arthritis at 18.

Good luck with everything! Get that sucka fixed!

Thinking about you today AC. Good luck. Let us know the results.

Don't forget to take Colace along with the painkillers

Surgery went well. I had some torn cartilage and some gnarly scar tissue floating around in there from the previous ACL surgery.

My doc is great in the fact that he makes you stay down (except bathroom and shower) for 3-4 days. I have found this speeds up my recovery and gets me moving much quicker than if I just started doing things when I feel good-I'd be way too swollen for longer if I didn't rest a lot.

I feel great, no pain killers. I feel I could move around and do things, but I know staying down and resting/icing is best. (I have this awesome donjoy water pack, it's sweet) I've also started doing 5-6 different easy exercises as well. Post op is Wed next week.

Trying to find things to do on the couch for the next 3 days....

beware of plyos

not good if you have damaged cartilage. leg extensions also bad

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Good to hear it went well! The one (just) scope I've had to clear out some scar tissue was a breeze compared to the other stuff. To kill time: laptop and a power cord; find the end of the internet.

Good to hear Liz. Heal up and make the Man wait on you hand and foot.

nice L, put DTM to work on keeping you busy on the couch.....elevate the legs doctors orders.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com