Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski rack for the house?

What are people doing to store their skis while not in the car/truck? I have been using some screw in hooks from Lowes in the garage, but then still have to take everything inside to get it to melt off or to tune. I want to build a wood rack that will allow me to store 10+ pairs horrizontally, and also be free standing. I have a good idea of how to get this done but would love to hear any oppinions, or pics of any sort of ski rack.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Cheapest choice, although if you have a lady in house this might not be possible

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I just built a rack in my garage using horizontal boards mounted across the studs with holes drilled for 7/16" wooden dowels. They hold Comi's with all-metal binders just fine, so if they can handle those they should be able to handle any monster skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post

Cheapest choice, although if you have a lady in house this might not be possible
    Yeah, thas exactly what "we" are wanting to avoid. I have also done the whole 2X4 with dowels holding the tips and am not a big fan of that plus I want this to be free standing, so that I don't have to mount it into any studs.

as for right now, I have a couple of racks built... 2x4 with foam-wrapped 1/2" dowels... they're for the rock skis, I've decided. This year, I'll be adopting the horizontal approach... I built a cross-braced kayak rack that sticks out about 2 1/2' from the wall... so if I go with 4-5 racks, about 1 1/2 feet from the wall, all mounted to a common 2x4 rail, I figure I can throw the whole quiver up there. That's on the plans for this year, for sure.

If you're wanting a no-holes-drilled, movable/temporary rack, I say go with the horizontal rack idea, about 5-6' up on the wall, with legs angled out onto a hard surface. The weight of the rack and skis should transfer force out onto the angled legs, to the floor, which will, in turn, apply force to the wall, so the whole shebang doesn't go sliding out from underneath itself.

Kinda like this, only with a wood frame, with 2 - 4 feet?...
    http://www.oymbike.com/Saris-Bike-Bu...ck_p_7-52.html
    Last edited by GapersGoHome; 08-10-2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

Homemade longboard?
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

got bored one summer day

note: the fischers are for sale
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by GapersGoHome View Post
    Homemade longboard?
    yeap, but it's still in building phase. I already have trucks, only need tires and grip and it's ready to go.

Would like to take credit for this rack but can't. Custom job. Raised and carpeted at the base. Can post more pics if you like.

Pretty nice quiver, 5B! Someone likes PX12s!
    Poetry, on motion.

My house was built in 1837. This is what I built in the back corner of the basement:

^^^Nice copper!

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    Would like to take credit for this rack but can't. Custom job. Raised and carpeted at the base. Can post more pics if you like.

nice quiver indeed. you've got some heavy hitters there. which do you like the most? which ski gets the most action?

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    nice quiver indeed. you've got some heavy hitters there. which do you like the most? which ski gets the most action?
    The BROs see the most action. Just back from Portillo with the BROs and Prophet 130s. With two big dumps while there it was a perfect combo. Also love the XXL 187s. I could live with just those three.

because with the right lady you'll end up with twice as many pairs?

Quote Originally Posted by wandering, not lost View Post
    because with the right lady you'll end up with twice as many pairs?
    Haven't found that lady yet, I wouldn't see that as a problem

Donkey,

I use two ceiling mounted ladder storage racks that I got from Lowes or Home Depot. They look like an upside down "T" hanging from the ceiling. They are padded and hold 2-3 pair of skis on each side of the T (depending on width, of course). They are overhead and out of reach. If you want me to take a picture, let me know.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Donkey,

I use two ceiling mounted ladder storage racks that I got from Lowes or Home Depot. They look like an upside down "T" hanging from the ceiling. They are padded and hold 2-3 pair of skis on each side of the T (depending on width, of course). They are overhead and out of reach. If you want me to take a picture, let me know.

Seth
    I would like to see a pic of these, actually...sounds like something that would work in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Donkey,

Seth
    Yeah I had thought about those, I had been using some screw in hooks similar to bike wheel hooks but bigger and with a lip so that there is no way they could get bumped and fall out. But I want to get everything inside where it gets worked on and allowed to melt and dry out. Plus I kind of like haveing a couple pairs kind of displayed as conversation starters......not to mention this allows me to very quickly sort out who skis, and who is a skier.

5B, would you mind posting a photo of the bottom portion of the rack? Thanks.

I'll try to take a pic tonight and post.

Quote Originally Posted by Badabingo View Post
    5B, would you mind posting a photo of the bottom portion of the rack? Thanks.
    Here ya go. Dirty from summertime use as hip-boot, wading shoe and wader rack.

See those rust colored marks in the carpet? Rust it is from putting skis away wet. I guess that's why ski shops hang em. I mean it comes off easy, but maybe a non-porous material would prevent that. Maybe something hard then drill a little drain hole through the platform.

Awesome. Gracias.

Yo B, we're struggling with storing about 20 pairs of skis in one garage (5 gear whores in one house). I found the solution! 12"x14" aluminum shelving brackets at about 1.99 or $2.99 apiece. With the curve, you can put one bracket every 10 or 11 vertical inches along vertical studs, and you've got space for two pairs of fat skis or three pairs of uber-skinny skis (the 14" portion obviously sticks out from the wall and the 12" portion goes vertically). Our garage is about 9 feet high, and I'm going all the way to the top. Enough room for exactly 20 pairs of skis if I've done my math right. I just keep a folding step-ladder at the bottom, and all is well. I'm using 3 1/2" utility screws, but I think 2 1/2" wood screws would do the trick, particularly if you keep your heavier skis against the wall and the lighter ones further from it. Screwing all the way in is a PAIN IN THE ASS without dedicated wood screws.

Obviously, if you don't need THAT much room or are limited on space jutting out from a wall, you can use 8x10" or 6x8" or 8x8" or... whatever. These shelving brackets are great because they come in so many sizes.

I'm STOKED on my new garage set up, so I may post a picture in a while. Busy tomorrow and on leave 'til Sunday, so maybe next week. At any rate, this shit really works, so long as you have vertical studs and enough horizontal room to put skis.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 08-12-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived