Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Utah, Lone Peak Cirque, Vertical Overhangs

Went for a nice sufferfest up Lone Peak on Sunday with my buddy Frank. Slept at the trailhead to avoid over-comforting ourselves and were zombie-hiking by 5AM.

Dawn over the desert west of Lehi. Lehi is a great town. Too bad they had to ruin it with the world's largest Mormon-operated dinosaur museum (Thanksgiving Point).

Frank gets his first view of the summit walls of the cirque. This is right at the top of the "Jacob's Ladder" section of the trail. If we had been in the sun we simply wouldn't have made it.

The north summit wall of the cirque. The left one is ours on a route called Vertical Overhangs which is a link-up of Vertical Smile and Triple Overhangs. Guidebook calls for four pitches but we somehow stretched it in three with a 50m cord.

Up Frank goes, pitch one.

And here I come, final pitch.

Despite threatening weather, we decided to get one more pitch in before the long hike down. Me on a cool dihedral called Pika's something.

Thunder storms rolled past us to our north and south on the way down, and somehow never quite caught us head on. It was pretty cool.

Killer climb, but I'm still sore. 6,000ft downhill in two hours with a climbing pack=not sweet.

You should be sponsored by radness.
    The Griz

alto,

does that route hit the "triple overhangs" section? sickter route. say hi to "frank" for me

way to slay the rock.

i'm guessing the thanksgiving point dino museum isn't as bad as the creation museum - http://web.mit.edu/gjordan/www/creat.../_DSC2327.html

yeah, those are raptors in the same display as the human.

Looks like a good time. I can't wait to get back on some granite, its too freaking hot in Texas for any granite right now.

That rock looks cool.

I love the left facing corner on pitch 2/3 with the no pro face in space. And the little handcrack roof pitch near the end. Classic.

Nice to descend and run up the Lowe route for an encore.

I need to climb more.

I grew up in Lehi, Spent every day looking at those mountains, great picture of the lake. Thanksgiving point used to be my friends dairy farm, I think I prefer the smell of cow shit than to see what it has become now. But Now I reside north in idaho, seperated from all of the Utards. Boy I wish I could tranplants those mountains here. You have made me feel nostalgic. thanks for the Stoke.
    Nothing clever to say.

God I love that area. Thanks for sharing.

It's been a while since I've climbed up there. My favorite route was up Question Mark Wall. Not very technical, maybe 5.7ish, but really fun. If I remember right, the only pro we placed on the last pitch were a few slings over some chickenheads. Good times.
    Last edited by SLAYER; 07-30-2008 at 04:01 PM.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else" Jamie Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    You should be sponsored by radness.
    second that

Thumbs up

Hell Yea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Hell Yea!!!

If you'd hurry up and buy that trad rack we could go up there.

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog View Post
    If you'd hurry up and buy that trad rack we could go up there.
    BD has one stashed up there. Can't be that hard to find.

If you have extra stuff, that's the way to do it. Leave a rope and light rack up there all summer long. Then just skip up there with a water bottle and crackers.

Nice trip drew. I caught word that you might be heading out this way??

face-
    Moving to Seattle. Giving up the skiing bit for slangin' rock. Meet me on the hill.

nice DT; nice!! classic route for sure as well as Pika Paradise

how is the water situation up there right now? can you still get some from the spring after just topping out Jacob's Ladder? still any in the cirque itself? was looking at going up in the next week or two, but want to be sure about h2o before hand.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    second that
    Third/fourth that. Self-proclaimed double voter.

thanks for sharing!

Big snow banks should provide water for another 1-2 weeks. Unsure about Jacob's Ladder spring.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Big snow banks should provide water for another 1-2 weeks. Unsure about Jacob's Ladder spring.
    ... unsure about Jacob's Ladder spring?!?! either you fucking saw water there or you didn't you young dumbass; for Christ's sake the mutha fuckin' trail goes right by it dipshit!!! get rid of those North Face Aviator TopGun Sunglasses and you might see a whole helluva lot more douche bag

[Hackhead threat voice] now, what about the JC Ladder spring ..... ???? don't make me come down the Jack-a-lope and rattle your cage or show up at your place of employment wanting my car parked only to step out and kick you in the koot give it up [/Hackhead threat voice]

hahaha jeezeum

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    ... unsure about Jacob's Ladder spring?!?! either you fucking saw water there or you didn't you young dumbass; for Christ's sake the mutha fuckin' trail goes right by it dipshit!!! get rid of those North Face Aviator TopGun Sunglasses and you might see a whole helluva lot more douche bag

[Hackhead threat voice] now, what about the JC Ladder spring ..... ???? don't make me come down the Jack-a-lope and rattle your cage or show up at your place of employment wanting my car parked only to step out and kick you in the koot give it up [/Hackhead threat voice]
    We went up the ladder at ~0630. What were you doing at that time on Sunday morning? Asleep on the couch with the TV still on QVC from your big Saturday night?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    We went up the ladder at ~0630. What were you doing at that time on Sunday morning?
    ... oogling my new North Face Gear trying to decide which piece of it I want you to sign first

Because I'm such a nice guy, I decided to investigate the Cherry Creek trail for everyone here yesterday.

Do not go this way for a day trip to Lone Peak! We left the trail head @5:30am and pulled in the cirque around 1pm. Some guy that showed up a few minutes after we showed up came up Jacobs and left at 9am.

There's still water in the cirque but it's going fast.

Also, getting lost and thrashing out Little Willow canyon isn't fun either. But you probably already know that.

I hate alpine climbing sometimes.

I've been up there twice, and I've gone Cherry Canyon both times, apparently it is like twice as long as Jacob's Ladder. I've gone for a couple of nights both times, so that spreads the hurt out a little at least.

Nice work, I thought Vertical Overhangs was really memorable and classic. Are you really moving to Seattle, Drew?