old ACL repair gone wrong??

Hi! I am new to the forum, so I hope this hasn't already been gone through a million times...but I have big knee issues and was hoping to get some advice, since a lot of people here seem to be seasoned ACL people! I am not too old--26--and have already had three surgeries on my knee. The first was just a scope for cartilage tears, the second was the same, and the third was about nine years ago--the big one, for a total ACL tear. I forgot to go to my followup appt. right after the surgery (I know, really dumb...), but did do all of the rehab--about a three years later it was aching (like arthritis kind of pain with walking, esp. running, and giving out--so I went to a new orthopedist....and he did x-rays and an exam and told me that the graft (from my own patellar tendon) had failed (popped right off )b/c the dr. who did the surgery had put the screws in a totally wrong place. He even said that "I haven't seen screws that big used in a long time" (scary!) ?He said I should at least get the screws out, if not have it redone....Went for a second opinion and the doctor (really well known guy that does a local sportsteams stuff) said the same thing.

Anyway, long story short, I ignored all of this and have just kept going...until recently it is hurting more and more to walk...if I walk more than about 2 blocks it aches, and also I am getting a lot of what I think is tendonitis that is excruciating right across the top of my kneecap--it feels like what is left of that tendon is going to rip off it hurts so bad. So what the heck is going on?? Also, is leaving screws in bad? Should I get them out?? Or is it worse to remove them??.....I know they are definitely not the biodegradable kind...I am young and don't want all of this to be crippling me for forever, it's pathetic....Thanks anyone for any input or personal experiences they can share!!!

Unfortunately I have heard of quite a few people undergo ACL recon and have the same problem--screws in the wrong place and it needs to have further surgery in order to be functional again. If it's hurting you to walk, I'm sure the bad news that you got twice is the best way to go. What's your hesitation in getting the screws out?

i would personally be all over getting that fixed. Not sure what you are waiting for. better young than old.

What those two just said. That is pretty fucked up--if it's true, and it seems to be, maybe you did the right thing missing the follow up appt.

If you're ACL is gone right now you're probably doing some damage to your knee, or will do some damage that you could avoid by having it repaired. If the screws shouldn't be there I'm sure they'll get taken out when you have the reconstruction revised. Make sure you don't see Dr. Nick this time.
    [quote][//quote]

Thanks for everyones input! I don't understand the surgery at all, or how they figure out how to place the screws...but it seems crazy to think that you could put the screws in the wrong place and so many people could have had that experience.....it is such a sucky surgery with a long rehab that I was so irritated after I found out what happened that I vowed never to go back and do the surgery thing on the knee again (that was my third surgery)....but, now I am reconsidering if it will mean that things might be better down the road. Also, for years now I have had really crappy insurance and was too busy with a really active job to have the surgery.....Now I have better insurance and little more time.

If I don't get the ACL redone, which I don't think I will, but just get it cleaned up and get the screws removed (maybe?) would that just be arthroscopic?

Also, do you guys know if there is any actual treatment for the patellar tendonitis thing other than rehab and the band thing you put below the knee cap??

Thanks again for everyones input!!!

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Thanks for everyones input! I don't understand the surgery at all, or how they figure out how to place the screws...but it seems crazy to think that you could put the screws in the wrong place and so many people could have had that experience.....it is such a sucky surgery with a long rehab that I was so irritated after I found out what happened that I vowed never to go back and do the surgery thing on the knee again (that was my third surgery)....but, now I am reconsidering if it will mean that things might be better down the road. Also, for years now I have had really crappy insurance and was too busy with a really active job to have the surgery.....Now I have better insurance and little more time.

If I don't get the ACL redone, which I don't think I will, but just get it cleaned up and get the screws removed (maybe?) would that just be arthroscopic?

Also, do you guys know if there is any actual treatment for the patellar tendonitis thing other than rehab and the band thing you put below the knee cap??

Thanks again for everyones input!!!
    first of all the most important thing is to get a good doctor that you have recommendations from and who you trust. Find the Doc and then go with it.

You have to get this thing fixed to relive the itis in the patella, give you a stable ACL and remove the hardware, it can all be done at once.....!

I dont have a personal story like this....but I wish you the best of luck

If you look around the gimp forum lots of people ask about trying to ski or remain active without their ACL - nobody wants their season to end.

I tried to talk my ortho in a brace but he resoundingly was against it. The advice you'll usually see on here is to get it fixed. The longer you wait the more damage you're going to do - especially to your cartilage which can't be replaced if gets torn up beyond repair. If that cartilage ends up having to be taken out then your well on the way to arthritis since there isn't really a viable cartilage replacement. It sucks to be out of action for a while but it's better than causing long term problems that at this point can't really be fixed.

Good luck.

^^^same advice as above, get it fixed asap. People go without an ACL but you can really fuck up your knee(tear your meniscus/other ligaments) without the stability the ACL provides. I think the tendonitis is probably from the scar tissue created by the graft failing and the screws which may be rubbing something if they're in the wrong place. Think about screws grinding around in your knee bones for the rest of your life...not something i would wait to see about. I feel your pain about having another surgery, but the sooner you get it fixed the sooner you'll feel good again!
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips