Screws for Salomon STH 16 STH16, maybe S916

Another mag asked me to help him to figure out a the bag of screws he got with some used STH 16s. I figured if I was gonna go through all the trouble to take photos and write explanations, then everyone could benefit. This is based on the STH 16, but I assume and from memory, think it would be the same for S916s. Not sure about the toe screws, but the heels should be the same.

So,

Let's set some terms. I will describe screws by three things:

1. Head type
    -There are two kinds of heads: Those with a thin edge at the top, and those with a thick edge. The thicker edge is about the thickness of a nickel, while the thin edge is about the thickness of a dime. See photo (thin edge on left, thick on right)[screw #4 and #5 for ref]:

2. Length in millimeters
    3. Width of the head: The screws with the thick edge head type, seem to all generally have the smaller head width of about 8.5mm. Those with the thin edge seem to all have the wider head width of about 10mm.

So, moving front to back, the toe:
    #1. Front two screws on toe are thick edge, 20mm length, 8.5mm head width. (the gold colored one in photo) There should be a grand total of 4 of these.*Note: only the lower half of this screw is threaded.
    #2. Back two screws on toe are thin edge, ~17mm length, 10mm head width. Again, you should have four of these. *whole screw is threaded

#1 on bottom, #2 on top

#1 on right, #2 on left

Front to back on heel:
    #3. Front two screws are thin edge (actually kind of between thick and thin, but generally looks more like the thin edge screws), 14mm, 10mm head width. Again, you should have four of these
    #4. The great 5th screw, or middle screw. Thin edge, 20mm length, 10mm head. You should have only two of these.
    #5. The back two screws, the longest. Thick edge, 30mm, 8.5mm head. You should have four of these.

#3 bottom, #4 middle, #5 top:

#3 right, #4 middle, #5 left:

I'm sure screws can be interchanged somewhat. The biggest factor is gonna be length.
    Last edited by bossass; 07-02-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Pics fixed.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    HA! I hadn't realised the toe screws were different. Nicely done. Maybe a link in the 'everything about salomon bindings' thread.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Thanks a lot!

BUMP for skier666.

NOTE: I assume bossass's numbers for toe screws in this thread are for the newer version of the "Driver" toe AFD on STH 16 (the extra wide one, my favorite). I believe those toe screw length numbers work just fine for every high-DIN >=16 version of toe AFD for s900/s916/s920, EXCEPT you would need shorter toe screws if you don't mount the shock-absorbing toe shims that fit the the oldest (narrower) "Driver" toe AFD. If you mount those oldest toe AFDs without those toe shims, then I'd guess just subtract about 2-3mm of length from bossass's posted numbers for toe screws.

ASIDE: Many maggots prefer to mount those old toes WITHOUT the shock-absorbing toe shims. Anyway, I've done some A-B Testing on the hill (including hard-to-grip scraped wall-riding entrances on uberfats like Volkl Chopsticks 128mm underfoot), and now I prefer including the toe shims. For my tastes, the benefits of added shock-absorption of those shims (due to the compressible rubber pads in there) outweighs any possible downsides of increased lift, decreased ramp angle, and even any possible tiny loss of transmission control or edge grip.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 01-13-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Can't speak to the earlier models, but here are the screw lengths for the final generation of STH (prior to STH2). The only difference between STH12/14 and STH16 screw lengths is the length of the rear screws in the toes. I did notice some variation between manufacturing runs, but you should be good if you're close to this and have 7mm to 8mm of screw in the ski (original screws have ~7.6mm in ski).

Plastic-pedestal STH12 Driver / STH14:
    Toes: 19.2mm (narrow-head to fit through holes in toe housing)
    Heel front: 14.5mm
    Heel center: 20mm
    Heel rear: 30.2mm

If you update 912 or 914 to latest STH12/14 Driver AFD (Salomon p/n 10447501), you'd use 19.2mm screws for the toes because the pedestal is the same as STH12/14. The sliding AFD's from 912 and 914 are also direct replacements for the STH12/14 Driver AFD's, if you want to use rubber sole boots. If you get some old sliding AFD's that are broken, worn or missing pieces, you can completely rebuild them with the moving parts from the modern Z-toe AFD, which shops generally keep on hand.

Metal-pedestal STH16 / STH Steel (or 916/920 updated to STH16 Driver AFD):
    Toe front: 19.2mm (narrow-head to fit through holes in toe housing)
    Toe rear: 17.3mm
    Heel front: 14.5mm
    Heel center: 20mm
    Heel rear: 30.2mm

I don't have the Salomon part number for the STH16 Driver AFD you'd use to update the 916/920, which is differentiated from p/n 10447501 by a "hump" behind the teflon strip.

Also don't know how long the heel screws are for 900-series stamped steel tracks, but shoot for 7.6mm in the ski.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-14-2017 at 01:40 AM.

Much appreciated and a perfect time to bump up this information.